Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2017, 17:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine Coolant Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Distilled water by definition should have a pH of 7.0 neither acidic nor basic.I guess 6.5 to 7.5 or so will still qualify it as neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's precisely what we are referring to as VERY mildly acidic water which is better used for battery top ups than other purposes.
What would I have done without team-bhp!

Having exhausted my stock, today I bought a bottle of distilled water from one of my usual shops. The composition, as indicated on the label, is as follows:

PH - 7.5 to 9
Electrical Conductivity - <10us/cm
TDS - <2ppm

Not really suitable for use as/with coolant.

I have been guilty of adding this very liquid to top up my coolant reservoir in the past .

On enquiry, I was informed that all brands/variants of distilled water available in this and other shops are all of the same composition.

The search for the elusive neutral liquid continues .
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2017, 17:53   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
PH - 7.5 to 9
Electrical Conductivity - <10us/cm
TDS - <2ppm

Not really suitable for use as/with coolant.
Good grief! If that label's information is to be believed a pH rating of between 7.5-9 gives you water errr..a solution that is a mild to strong alkali! In which case forget about using it as a coolant but how can you use it in a battery when it will work on neutralising the acid?!

This is the opposite of what I expected at the liquid being mildly acidic.

But seriously, this goes to show just stay away from bottled battery water for top ups. Clean filtered tap water is much safer. Or shift to a premixed coolant + DW solution.

BTW if you want pure DW please contact a lab supplier in your city.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:05   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was recently looking for Golden Cruiser coolant for my Gypsy and since most shops don't have them in JC road and is also not available anywhere online. I finally found a supplier in JC road Bangalore.
Located in map below, they also sell spares for Hyundai, Toyota and golden Cruiser products.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sw...34!4d77.579552
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 22:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

What is a good coolant to carry during long drives for top ups, just in case? I see a green coolant in the reservoir, I don't know what brand they have filled during the recent service. But I think MASS usually use a brand called golden cruiser.

I plan to leave in a few days for the road trip, so called the SA of the workshop. He said it is not necessary due to the recent service, but I can buy and carry any premixed coolant if I want, so long as it is green in color.

Is he correct? Shell is selling green color premixed coolant. Shall I buy and carry it? I always carry a litre of engine oil any way.

Last edited by Gansan : 15th July 2019 at 22:36.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2019, 22:55   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Buy any green pre mixed coolant. Golden cruiser is a good brand and so is Servo. Buying premixed saves you from carrying demineral water separately or worse, keeps you from mixing water of suspect quality. So, pre mixed is the way to go.

By the way, in emergency situations, you can use demineral water (or even normal water if there’s no way out) if coolant is unavailable. The downside is that you will have to keep an eye on the temp gauge and the radiator will require frequent top ups, but that is much better than frying the engine. That will at least bring you home. A thorough flush will be required thereafter.

Have a nice trip.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 15th July 2019 at 22:57.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I see a green coolant in the reservoir... but I can buy and carry any premixed coolant if I want, so long as it is green in color.
I have seen green and blue coloured coolants being used in my cars (M800, Palio, Eon).

The blue ones were the ready to use type (pre-mixed).

Whenever, I flush and re-fill, I use the green coloured ones (concentrated) - from Iftek and TVS Vericool. The former advises a 1:3 ratio and the latter 1:4. Use Reverse Osmosis (RO) or bottled mineral water for mixing.

The 500 ml of TVS Vericool that I purchased last week had MRP of Rs. 100/-. Have mixed with a little less than 2l of RO water and now have about 2.5l of coolant. Carry it in half-litre cans for top ups.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 15:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

This is what I have purchased to carry for the road trip. As you can see, it is ready to use.

Shell has green, blue, and one pink coolant, all of them ready to use. Any car can use any coolant, provided a thorough radiator flush is done first. If the purpose is for top up, then one should always buy the same color as what is already there in the radiator, according to the SA. This is the thumb rule. The brand does not matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Coolant Level-img_20190716_111801988.jpg  

Engine Coolant Level-img_20190716_111836765-1.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 20:17   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any car can use any coolant, provided a thorough radiator flush is done first. If the purpose is for top up, then one should always buy the same color as what is already there in the radiator, according to the SA. This is the thumb rule.
Definitely not true on the first part. You need to use the colour, or rather coolant speficied for your particular car/engine and stick to it. Today’s high end / high life G12/13 type of coolants do poorly in older cars/engine and vice versa. The main problems stems from different materials being used in engines over the years. They need differert coolants for optimal protection. You buy the most expensive most modern coolant liquid and poor it into a 10-15 year old car you are likely to see problems develop. Corrision of metal parts, rubbers seal and hoses disintegrating etc.

As with oil, stick to whatever specification your car / engine comes with. Check your owner’s manual.

So always fill with the same colour and preferable when doing a flush stick to same colour unless you are absolutely sure it is compatible with your engine.

Quote:
The brand does not matter.
Again, identical to oil. the specification is what matter, the brands only matters to your wallet.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks