Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 11:25   #1
BHPian

Engine Coolant Level

Hi Guys,

I have santro 2001 make, 42K on ODO. The engine temp needle is always stable in the middle. The needle initially remains to cooler side for few minutes, h'eve after running for about 10-15 min, it runs towards middle and stays there only(It does not swing to hot side). Is is normal? Or do I need to show it to mechanic.

What shoudl be the ideal needle position? I have seen many new cars, which has needle remaing to cooler side most of the time.

Suggestions please....thanks!
Old 12th December 2007, 04:05   #2
BHPian

the position of the temperature gauge needle depends upon the driving conditions the car experiences.

if you are driving for more than 10 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic then the needle position should be slightly above the midway mark.

if you are driving 50% of the time in bumper to bumper traffic and rest of the 50% of the time in light traffic conditions (where you are in 3rd or 4th gear), then the needle position should be at the midway mark.

Lastly, if you are driving on the highway where the traffic is minimal and the speed is above 55-60 kms/hr for 80% of the time, the needle should be nearly at the halfway mark between the midway mark and the zeromark. :-)
Old 12th December 2007, 06:13   #3
BHPian

Hi Aashutosh!

Your car is perfectly normal. On most cars it is generally in the 'middle' or a little less than 'middle'. The 'ideal' in Hyundai vehicles is a little less than 'middle'.
Old 12th December 2007, 07:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The Needle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aashutosh View Post
Hi Guys,

I have santro 2001 make, 42K on ODO. The engine temp needle is always stable in the middle. The needle initially remains to cooler side for few minutes, h'eve after running for about 10-15 min, it runs towards middle and stays there only(It does not swing to hot side). Is is normal? Or do I need to show it to mechanic.

Suggestions please....thanks!
Your car is perfectly normal.

The ideal position is just below the halfway mark.That is where the radiator fan cuts in and controls the temperature.Once the temperature drops a bit(the needle would move down a wee bit..not even noticeable),the fan would cut off.This cycle repeats.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Your car is perfectly normal. The temp needle should be in the middle or little less always. If it crosses over to the hotter side, then there is some problem. Pls stop the car and inspect. Probably fan belt gone or coolant level dipped (in this case you will also get an indication on the dashboard)

Abhi
Old 12th December 2007, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

In my santro, you can see two little white dots in the meter and the temp needle always remains between them, the moment it reaches the higher dot, the fan starts and brings it back between the two and these two dots are at 3/4 position on the lower middle of the gauge.
Old 17th October 2009, 18:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi my '97 800 has a peculiar problem.I find that the coolant level gone down after topping up till the max mark.I can find the coolant has spilled over as i can see the coloured coolant marks near the coolant container.

Any idea why this could be happening.As of now my radiator fan has stopped working and am due for a inspection work tommorow.Below is the link to the fan failure details.

The coolant problem was before the fan stopped working for quite sometime.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1536460
Old 17th October 2009, 21:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I hope you topped up when the engine was cold? And I hope topping up when cold is what is required for your car?
Old 18th October 2009, 12:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I hope you topped up when the engine was cold? And I hope topping up when cold is what is required for your car?
Hi i topped up the resovoir today and also added some in the radiator as well as it had depleted as a result yesterday's fan problem.

I was wondering how much quantity will go in the radiator if i had it flushed.I have bought a 1 litre 100% concentrated coolant and have used up a little less than half the bottle.

I am due in for a service in dec and always get the radiator flushed.Will a little > 500 ml of concentrated coolant will be enough or will i have to buy another 500 ml.The car is a m800 carb engine.

thanks
Old 18th October 2009, 15:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Topping up should not be done thru the radiator cap!! Please maintain the level only in the reservoir tank when cold.

Flushing is to be done only once in 2 years for most cars. I don't know 800's coolant capacity or your brand and its dilution ratio, so can't answer those questions.
Old 18th October 2009, 20:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi my '97 800 has a peculiar problem.I find that the coolant level gone down after topping up till the max mark.I can find the coolant has spilled over as i can see the coloured coolant marks near the coolant container.
Get your Thermostatic valve in the coolant circulation line checked.This is known to get stuck and resulting in the increase of coolant pressure in the engine block. The increased coolant pressure will suddenly open the Thermostatic valve and the steam and coolant will blow out of the container.

This has happened to me and finally the servuce engineers found the reason and removed the valve. This valve is needed only in very cold climate to bring the engine temperature to operating level fast.
Old 18th October 2009, 21:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi i topped up the resovoir today and also added some in the radiator as well as it had depleted as a result yesterday's fan problem.
You probably have a faulty radiator cap, which is not holding back the coolant under pressure, allowing it to overflow on expansion when the engine is hot, through the reservoir bottle.

In any case, don't top up the overflow reservoir - check and fill between the max and min marks when the engine is hot.
Old 19th October 2009, 01:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
This has happened to me and finally the servuce engineers found the reason and removed the valve. This valve is needed only in very cold climate to bring the engine temperature to operating level fast.
Replacing and not removing is what should have been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In any case, don't top up the overflow reservoir - check and fill between the max and min marks when the engine is hot.
This may differ from car to car. In my car, it has to be topped up to MAX when cold only.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You probably have a faulty radiator cap,
I agree, try replacing it. it's a cheap part and can be changed in a minute. But you may need a radiator flush if sever heating has caused any excessive gunk in the system.

Quote:

This may differ from car to car. In my car, it has to be topped up to MAX when cold only.
in that case when it heats it will overflow. anywhere between max and min is fine when cold.
Old 19th October 2009, 06:32   #15
BHPian

Thermostatic valve in coolant lines.

Quote:
Replacing and not removing is what should have been done.

I talked to Service Engineer at that time regarding the replacement of this valve. But he adviced against that saying these valves used then were all Indian made and quality is suspected. The Valve opens at 80*C to allow the coolant to be diverted to the radiator. There had been too many complaints of the valves malfunctioning. And also that the lowest Temperature here ( bangalore) could be around 13*C during peak winter and its not a problem for the engine ( this was 21 years back.) Also I checked with a ASC last week there also the advice was same., If the valve is sticking then better to remove it. For the last 20 years I had my Maruthi running without this valve. And no problems so far.

Most Viewed