Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2007, 12:52   #1
BHPian

Some issues with my esteem

Hi,

I have 3 issue/problems with my Esteem, for which I need some advice..

1. Just yday I noticed that the car makes some sound like a helicopter. I can make out this sound is of some fan running(and its blades touching something), but what fan is it? Also the fan is not running always. Its runs periodically.

2. Almost all the times I start to drive, I forget to disengage the handbrake. Though I realize my mistake after a few seconds(when the car dosent buldge). How do I address this issue? I am thinking of putting up a postit on the sunvisor.

3. 3 times in last 1.5 months, I've tried to start the car again, when it was already running.This happened coz with the windows rolled up there is hardly any sound coming in, and the hand brakes were engaged(which made be feel that the engine has stopped). What damages will this cause? I guess this will stop once I when prob2 is solved, but then until then..what are the damages that i am making to my vehicle. Is it very alarming or is this mistake tolerable to some extent?

Regards,
Old 27th November 2007, 13:41   #2
BHPian

He he, seems more problems are related to you than the car

1) Open the hood and check out yourself whether the fan blades are touching something. Do check both radiator as well as a/c fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
2. Almost all the times I start to drive, I forget to disengage the handbrake.
No postit needed. You would learn it pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
3.3 times in last 1.5 months, I've tried to start the car again, when it was already running.This happened coz with the windows rolled up there is hardly any sound coming in, and the hand brakes were engaged(which made be feel that the engine has stopped). What damages will this cause?
I think it is really bad for your starter motor. Please start observing your tachometer more. It is the single dial I look more times than anything else.
Old 27th November 2007, 13:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

So far, there is nothing very serious. Your sense of humour is appreciated.
What is worrying is the extrapolation to the future.
Please do not EVER forget which of the three pedals on the floor does what. And there are a host of little levers and stalks, buttons and switches and whatchamacallits all over the cockpit. They all do one specfic thing each. It is a good idea to remember what exactly each one does. No 3M Post-Its are needed.
It all becomes second-nature in a short span of a few weeks. What is important is to focus on the driving aspect in the initial stages and allow that to happen!
Safe driving!
Old 27th November 2007, 13:51   #4
Team-BHP Support

time to get a free flow exhaust. that sound would not let you crank again when the engine is running
Old 27th November 2007, 14:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate your good sense of humour.

1. It is the radiator fan, it only switches on when the engine temperature exceeds a particular limit. Do check whether anything is blocking it.

2. No need for any Post It. There will be big red exclamation light glowing in your console, if the hand brake is engaged. Look for it every time you start moving.
Also if you keep driving with your hand brake engaged, it will wear out the brake liner easily and also adds additional stress to your engine.

3. Like Whiteknight said, look at the tacho meter before cranking up the engine if you are not sure whether its on or not.

Most Viewed