Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Am going to try this out as soon as I get my hands on the dry ice thingy. But AFIK, ice is something you put in your drink. Yeh dry ice kya hota hai??
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:13   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Come to think of it, do our local garage owners & tinkerers even know of such a thing ?
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

maybe after putting ice the metal portion would start rusting too.are we in for trouble.ram
Old 3rd December 2007, 12:32   #19
BHPian

Is dry ice sold commonly in shops ? Any suggestions for availability in Mumbai ?
I want to experiment on the dent in the hatch of my Swift.
Old 3rd December 2007, 14:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Is dry ice sold commonly in shops ? Any suggestions for availability in Mumbai ?
I want to experiment on the dent in the hatch of my Swift.
me too. dent on my Swift's hatch too
Old 3rd December 2007, 15:54   #21
Team-BHP Support

OT:

if you do get dry ice, (I got it once from a icecream vendor) then try this prank.

take a glass of water and drop the dry ice into it.
It will start giving out a thick white smoke.

now think of something interesting to do with the smoke without fire.

I did that once, my mom was not amused.
Old 3rd December 2007, 16:01   #22
BHPian

my chemistry is quite rusted(though never liked it), but i guess dry ice is solidified CO2. Its called "dry" because from solid state, it never goes to liquid state...directly to gaseous state( unlike ice->water->steam).

I dont think dry ice will be available of the shelf at ur neighbourhood icecream wala, but neverthless, its a very common form of CO2...should get it without problems at some perticular stores(not sure what type of stores).

A word of caution: Dry ice has a freezing temp of abt -70 or -80 deg, so should avoid getting ur body in direct touch with it(otherwise u may get forst bite kind of thing)

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 3rd December 2007 at 16:02.
Old 3rd December 2007, 17:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
just take a slab of dry ice and rub it slowly across the dent the dent automatically gets repaired,there is a science on how this really happens,the size of ice slab depends on the size of the dent
The scientific logic holds true but it wont quite work as magic.
It will probably work on a shallow dent but in case of deeper dents it could actually make things worse, reason being that the metal will have larger surface area (dented) and wont quite regain its original form.
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:15   #24
BHPian

It does give you a frostbite and you can source it from the Icecream depots only, they use this thing to cool the small rikshaw icecream vendors.
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

well when are we getting the results of this experiment...something new to discuss btw
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Am going to try this out as soon as I get my hands on the dry ice thingy. But AFIK, ice is something you put in your drink. Yeh dry ice kya hota hai??
its actually solid co2. i think co2 is cooled and pressurized. then the pressure is removed quickly leaving dry ice. it sublimes.
Old 3rd December 2007, 18:33   #27
BHPian

I have a theory. Most likely the dent is getting fixed because of the contraction of metal from the extreme cooling. So if we take normal ice in a polythene bag and then mix it with salt, and then rub the bag on the dent it might work as well. Though your normal ice melts at 0 degree celcius i remmber from my school days that mixing it with salt drops the temperature to -22 deg celcius. May not be as good as dry ice but may work.
Old 4th December 2007, 11:09   #28
BHPian

I feel this may not work. Once the metal crosses the plastic limit, then there is no chance of regaining its original form applying dry ice unless it is subjected to some external forces by tinkering etc. Any comments?
Old 4th December 2007, 11:13   #29
BHPian

Sounds like an urban legend to me. If something sounds too good to be true, and you see people falling over themselves in their eagerness to propagate the myth, it's a safe bet it's a load of hogwash. I suspect the only thing this treatment would do is corrode the sheet metal.
Old 4th December 2007, 18:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Sounds like an urban legend to me. If something sounds too good to be true, and you see people falling over themselves in their eagerness to propagate the myth, it's a safe bet it's a load of hogwash. I suspect the only thing this treatment would do is corrode the sheet metal.
I'm unable to understand how would DRY ice corrode metal ? Dry ice is nothing but solidified CO2 and as we all know corrosion happens because of water and oxygen. This repairing dent may or may not be true but I'm sure there won't be any corrosion because of CO2,otherwise all the cars/metals would have anyway corroded when we breath out ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks