Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 18:25   #31

guys now days all ice cream wendors of walls n vadilal use dry ice to keep their ice cream frozen. u can buy it in bricks from refrigeration shops or the icecream wallahs
Old 4th December 2007, 18:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Is dry ice sold commonly in shops ? Any suggestions for availability in Mumbai ?
I want to experiment on the dent in the hatch of my Swift.
You can go to Naturals (or is it Natural) Ice Cream parlour and ask for a take away pack to be packed in dry ice (since you presumably will not reach home before a couple of hours). They do keep dry ice (at least in Pune). I sometimes get dry ice that way just to see it turn into smoke. They should also be able to tell you where they procure their dry ice from. But be careful in handling them. Best not to touch the dry ice pieces with your bare hands.

Last edited by pjbiju : 4th December 2007 at 18:29.
Old 4th December 2007, 19:34   #33
Senior - BHPian

Guys i waited an entire day to see if any one had tried it out but what have we got here...still people thinking if it is possible???
Well what happened to the guys whos swift was their trial machine?
Old 4th December 2007, 22:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it works. It seems like a very very easy method to fix a dent, and i don't believe in anything that's too easy.
Old 5th December 2007, 03:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

For all those thinking about Ice cream, Ice and refrigerators, dry ice is frozen carbon-di-oxide. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 5th December 2007, 22:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Guys i waited an entire day to see if any one had tried it out but what have we got here...still people thinking if it is possible???
Well what happened to the guys whos swift was their trial machine?
could not find any dry ice till date..so the dent remains
Old 6th December 2007, 08:37   #37
BHPian

This may work on very minor dents probably. I am not sure about this method though. The moment the dent is deep enough, the sheet metal gets stretched which leads to thinning of the metal at that place. ie if the sheet thickness is originally 0.75mm, the big dent will thin it to say 0.6mm. In such cases, it is impossible to use this dry ice method to bring it back to normal. I have searched the net and found that the success rate of this method will be hardly 0.5-1% that too on very minor dents where the thinning of metal hasn't taken place. This should clarify the doubts lingering in people's mind.
Old 6th December 2007, 10:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I'm unable to understand how would DRY ice corrode metal ? Dry ice is nothing but solidified CO2 and as we all know corrosion happens because of water and oxygen. This repairing dent may or may not be true but I'm sure there won't be any corrosion because of CO2,otherwise all the cars/metals would have anyway corroded when we breath out ;-)
Kaushik,

Can we try it out on your car? I'm willing to get the dry ice, and I'm also willing to make a few dents in your car for testing purposes if need be.
Old 10th December 2007, 14:04   #39

dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptik83 View Post
could not find any dry ice till date..so the dent remains
dude go to walls agency in tolly , or ballyask for 1 cake if dry ice. when u bring it home ask someone to hold in a plastic bag near the air conditener to help it maintain a low temperature and not evaporate. and u can use it how n wherever u want . also u can take ur nicked car and use it instantly
Old 10th December 2007, 15:54   #40
BANNED

It works guys.. i tried on my Zen ( there was coconut fall on my car ) tried with Normal Ice as could not get Dry Ice , I kept Normal ice everyday for 3 days and it worked ! Noticabale diffrence,,,, Need to apply more Ice
Old 10th December 2007, 18:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
It works guys.. i tried on my Zen ( there was coconut fall on my car ) tried with Normal Ice as could not get Dry Ice , I kept Normal ice everyday for 3 days and it worked ! Noticabale diffrence,,,, Need to apply more Ice
would be great if you can post some pics also.
Old 10th December 2007, 18:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
If its so, then the cars in places of extreme snowfall will become dentless if its parked with a snow cover for a few days ???
Please explain.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:06   #43
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi all
dry ice is solid CO2 as posted by many.it is -72 C
salt + ice @ of 30:70 will get you approximately -30 C
liquid nitrogen is -192 C. available @ Rs20/ltr.there are many LN plants.but one need special container to take it.
Old 10th December 2007, 19:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

ANd I thought dry ice was -57 deg C?
Old 10th December 2007, 19:55   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kpzen : If its so, then the cars in places of extreme snowfall will become dentless if its parked with a snow cover for a few days ???
Please explain.
@kp, good point. If this method works under normal weather and not when snowing, then one possible explaination would be that it needs a relative difference in temperatures between the dented area & the area surrounding the dent.

Using dry ice will provide cooling where the ice is kept. More cooling than when using regular ice. This would also explain why nicejits is seeing a slower rate of repair when using regular ice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks