Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2008, 06:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Hey can someone tell me where can i get dry ice in hyderabad- preferbly in and around mehdipatnam- i searched but couldnot find any ice parlour as such.There are a few icecream shops though, will ask them. I want to see if this works for small bonnet and door dents on my m800.
okay now i finally found a place to find the dry ice here in Hyderabad, but i do not have enough time to get it and try out, you can get it from ramnagar near the VST factroy, the directions are, when you come from vidhya nagar and go towards rtcXroads, there is this first right turn where the divider has its first gap, take that right and a second right turn from there you should be able to go to the depot you just need to ask some one for dry ice after you make the second right turn!

well if some one tries this do let us know! i found this address from a ice cream depot dealer who said he generally gets his dry ice here!

he also told me that its avaliable in not less than 5kg blocks and it approx cost is around Rs.30/- a kg!

some one tries this dont forget to post the pictures!

EDIT: guys one last thing, the depot is open only from 10am to 5pm so if really interested do it but please do remember to take a gunny bag and/or a proper thermocol box to get this home! other wise that -70 to -80'C ka ice will have its effects and you might not just like it!

Last edited by rider60 : 24th February 2008 at 06:26.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:17   #62
BHPian

Anyone has tried it yet?? I am waiting for the results . Pics will be a super addition though.
Old 24th February 2008, 09:30   #63
BHPian

this is really a neat little thread...

i have a whole bunch of little dents that the damn driver(s) over the years have managed to adorn the car with.

and since it seems to have worked in the past with regular salt water ice, there must be some truth in the using dry ice technique. can't wait to try it - just need access to the ruddy dry ice first - shall keep you guys updated.

cheers.
Old 24th February 2008, 10:36   #64
BHPian

Guys! any idea about shops selling dryice in Chennai? preferably around Adyar/Mylapore/Guindy areas? Thanks in advance!

Giga
Old 24th February 2008, 10:58   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I'm unable to understand how would DRY ice corrode metal ? Dry ice is nothing but solidified CO2 and as we all know corrosion happens because of water and oxygen. This repairing dent may or may not be true but I'm sure there won't be any corrosion because of CO2,otherwise all the cars/metals would have anyway corroded when we breath out ;-)

I also believe that this could work for shallower dents that have not crossed the elastic limit. IMO the paint will surely be affected because the melting point for paint and metal are different and the rate of contraction and expansion are different also.
Old 24th February 2008, 17:50   #66
BHPian

@gigatech: Stop the local Kwality Walls ice-cream guy and ask him for a small piece. (Most) Mobile ice-cream vendors use them as they cool better than normal ice and dont melt.

OT: someone brought dry ice to school once .... you may imagine what follows !
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:39   #67
BHPian

waste of time

I have tried that and that dosent work!!

infact i had got half kilo of dry ice 6 months back, tried quarter of the block on the dent... i even downloaded the video on my cell and carried out the proceduer along with him..

dosent work!!

I applied the ice direcly to the dent and followed the video.. (slide it around, hold it in place for 5-10mins over the dent) nothing pops up. i kept looking at the dent after the procedure nothing happened. the temp of the surface reached room temp and nothing.

So in the end i ended up creating special effects around my turbo in the evening, with water!

dry ice technique is a waste!!!
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

I saw this ad on TV- Telebrands I think, selling something called a "Dent King". Its a small handy contraption with suction cups and is supposed to pull (suck) out small dents on your car. Dont know if it works though. Should be handy for small dents that have not damaged the paintwork. I think it is available for 2999/- or 3999/- (for the entire kit)
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I saw this ad on TV- Telebrands I think, selling something called a "Dent King".
With a name like that Id be weary of the results
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:28   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Kaisa forum hai lol

From last year people are talking about dry ice and dents. Someone is plunging his car with a bathroom ka plunger, someone is eating ice cream, someone is applying salt on his car.

5 pages and not one person has actually applied dry ice on his car.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:50   #71
BHPian

interesting fact btw I'am just going to send my car for dent repairs next month....
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:12   #72
BANNED

where the hell to get this in bombay in the first place. i have over 25 dents needed to be fixed asap lol
Old 22nd May 2008, 20:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Kaisa forum hai lol

From last year people are talking about dry ice and dents. Someone is plunging his car with a bathroom ka plunger, someone is eating ice cream, someone is applying salt on his car.

No fair! I was going to post a similar response if only to wonder when the first application of dry ice to dents would take place and what the results of that would be. Many months of discussion but not enough time to get dry ice? Hmmm...

Well here is my suggestion, drop the quest to find dry ice and get to a good body shop instead. And whether they use dry ice, salt, plungers or just the good ol' hammer, they WILL get the dent out. I've tried it and it WORKS!
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:03   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Kaisa forum hai lol

Maybe this thread was too much of an eye-opener that dry ice may have become a scarce commodity, next to petrol.
Old 22nd May 2008, 21:16   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
where the hell to get this in bombay in the first place. i have over 25 dents needed to be fixed asap lol

@jesal

I'll look up the tel. number of the shop at marol naka from where i bought the dry ice. He is a dealer in dry ice. I'll post it up here as soon as i find it.

@greenhorn I posted it on orkut yaar and seriously the dry ice technique did not work for me.
----------------
May be my application was wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks