Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2007, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Santro Silencer Kit?

How much would a Santro Silencer Kit cost? My car is making loud exhaust noise, there is drop in pickup and FE too. I had been to Hyundai Motor Plaza, they inspected the car. The tail pipe joining a box like thing has become loose at the joint. It cannot be welded, as per HMP. The technician said the whole silencer kit has to be replaced. The quotation is for Rs 6910/-
Is it so expensive? Do I need to replace the whole kit? Should I use any other after market product for better results (product or cost wise)?

Thanks
Old 4th December 2007, 13:40   #2
BHPian

There are many after market companies who are equally good, the one i fitted on to my zip costed me 2.5K, this is a next quality but has a good guage.
There was one more quality available at 3.5k
Old 7th December 2007, 14:13   #3
BHPian

Finally replaced the muffler from a local shop. It is some brand called merrit. Replaced the muffler, tail pipe and the mid pipe all for Rs 2100/-
The mechanic was impressed with the quality of the product.
Old 7th December 2007, 14:13   #4
BHPian

Finally replaced the muffler from a local shop. It is some brand called merrit. Replaced the muffler, tail pipe and the mid pipe all for Rs 2100/-
The mechanic was impressed with the quality of the product.
Old 10th December 2007, 09:15   #5
BHPian

I also had a similar problem in my santro. When checked with HASC, they informed cost INR 7000/- h'ever he suggested to change with local guy as it would cost half that amount.

I checked with local guy who changed their entire silencre assembly for INR 3500/-. The make was "SINGER" with 1 year warrenty. NOw there is no sound. Everything is fine.
Old 22nd January 2011, 13:20   #6
BHPian

Re: Santro Silencer Kit?

Note from Mod : You have way too many spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other members / guests.

You are hereby instructed to proof-read your posts prior to hitting the "submit" button. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2011 at 14:31. Reason: edited year
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th January 2011, 14:56   #7
BHPian

Well i finally got my silencer kit replaced at a shop in KK nagar chennai, where they fabricate cheap third rated silencer which i advice no one should fix in their cars.
But the good news is they get reject silencer kit from all companies and fit it up for you.

So i got an original Hyundai silencer kit with a small tiny dent and few scratches at the rate of Rs. 2500/-
Cost at the company must be good 4 times.

Lets see how long this last.
I am hoping a good 3yrs of trouble free period.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

@ Visaster could you post the shop's address and contact details so that it may be helpful for other forum members since he has rejected kits from most manufacturers.
Old 12th September 2011, 16:39   #9
BANNED

I have been running oo after market local silencer kit for the past 5 years.
changed 4 times.
But since i came to chennai it has always been a bad experience.
The last 2 changes was in chennai and terrible experience i had to live with for 1 year every time.
First time they fitted a local made kit which kept hitting somewhere on every small pothole/ bump the whole damn year so i got rid of it after forcefully making it worth the money.
Got it changed the second time this year Jan and i got cheated again.
Chennai is very rude to fools like me.
Anyways i want to get it changed now as the performance is bad with this kit.

Can someone suggest me the best place to get a decent, trouble free exhaust for santro zip drive in Chennai.
What is the difference in the performance between local and company made kit?

Thanks.
Old 1st October 2011, 18:13   #10
BHPian

I too had got my Santro exhaust replaced in 2003...a local duplicate, There was no loss in performance.
Old 11th January 2019, 14:16   #11
BHPian

My Santro's silencer is on its last leg. The tailpipe connecting to the silencer box has developed a hole. It was sealed with a weld earlier but the hole is back again. My car is 12.5 years old so I think the replacement is due. A new one from the authorized service center will cost 7.5K plus the labor.
Can anybody suggest a good place to get an aftermarket silencer fixed in Bangalore?
Attached Thumbnails
Santro Silencer Kit?-img20190111wa0045.jpg  

Last edited by amit1agrawal : 11th January 2019 at 14:16. Reason: added city
Old 11th January 2019, 14:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
My Santro's silencer is on its last leg. The tailpipe connecting to the silencer box has developed a hole. It was sealed with a weld earlier but the hole is back again. My car is 12.5 years old so I think the replacement is due. A new one from the authorized service center will cost 7.5K plus the labor.
Can anybody suggest a good place to get an aftermarket silencer fixed in Bangalore?

If you want a free flow silencer then you need to go to a reputed builder.

If you want a stock one then I would recommend you to stick to OEM. Non-OE silencers are substandard build and not build to generate the exact back pressure needed as designed for optimum performance. You may start getting low FE or misfiring issues with an unbranded non-OE silencer.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 14:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
This is a common issue with the 'old' Santro. The design of the exhaust pipe is such that it curves above the rear axle which leads to water accumulation and rusting in the lower part of the pipe after the exhaust can. Welding will only provide a very short term solution as the rust will eat up the welded piece pretty quickly. Replacement with an OEM part is recommended.

I tried welding on my previously owned Santro, didn't stay for long and then went with an OEM replacement.
Old 11th January 2019, 15:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
If you are planning to replace the car better try local
Same thing happened for my getz and local worked for me for atleast 2 years before I sold off. Yes sound was not great (mainly at the start) but there was no change in FE.
Go for Hyundai brand if you want to keep car for long as not much difference in terms of amount ie 3.5K
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2019, 15:16   #15
BHPian

I am planning to keep the car till it lasts . The car has served me well and it still runs like a new car and maintained well. My usage of this car is less too, 70K kms in 12.5 years, as I had another one (sold recently) for Highways/Weekend duties. As recommended I will go with OE one only. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks