Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 11:15   #16
BHPian

too bad that LPG has breached the Rs. 30 mark ... Upon enquiry from a Company Owned Company Operated Pump here in Pune, the guy said, LPG prices are revised at the start of every month ...

Does the northward swing of Crude Oil anything to do with the pricing point of LPG? If so, then if Crude prices come down a bit, we may again start getting LPG below the Rs. 30/ltr mark ...

I have seen LPG prices coast to 28 Rs. and come down to as low as Rs. 23 in a matter of few months earlier this year! So, all is not too bad, I assume
Old 4th December 2007, 11:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

i would not recomend lpg to save almost 50 paise per km and investing almost 20 k for the kit.for the kit itself to breakeven it takes almost 40000 km on the odo and after a couple of 10k on odo you sell it off.whats the fun in it to carry a huge tank in the trunk and disturb the space.better choice diesel.or rather go for the petrol itself.if mileage is the issue go for a car giving more mileage than prefering a low mileage car +lpg kit.
ram
Old 4th December 2007, 11:47   #18
BHPian

The rate of LPG is increasing. But dont forget that the price of both petrol and diesel are going to be increased as well.

In my opinion, LPG is still a good option for the used cars. Because comparatively the cost of the petrol cars are much cheaper than their diesel siblings.
Old 4th December 2007, 13:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is disappointing.
But once petrol rate is hiked to Rs.52/litre. LPG will become attractive once again.
Old 4th December 2007, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
This is disappointing.
But once petrol rate is hiked to Rs.52/litre. LPG will become attractive once again.
correct...
but i dont think there will be price hike very soon ... the elections are near so ""NO PRICE HIKE""
Old 4th December 2007, 15:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am also the one of the LPG User and posted my griefs earlier about the power delivery as well as FE.Now the LPG rate is increasing to 31Rs/lt.i regularly got only 8-9Kms/lt of LPG.for a sinlge Km i have spent more than Rs3.40.By uisng Petrol iget more than 12 Kms and a litre of Petrol is Rs48.so it comes Rs4/km.No huge difference.we can get a good ride while using Petrol.Even with LPG my car is not climbing easily in Flyovers.day by day i can able to feel the power difference.need to retune it and post my opinion again.
Old 4th December 2007, 16:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

[quote=phamilyman;645676]Why do I get the feeling that either you got a lemon of a kit, or are just plain talking out of thin air? If alternative fuel was that bad, so many companies wouldn't be selling it. Or maybe your mental blinkers are on.

buddy i couldn't get you. i am getting on average 550kms per 48liters refill everytime on my baleno using a closed loop zavoli kit. by far this is a good average of more than 10kmpl of lpg. mileage of petrol is 12kmpl. hence i said lpg is about 80% efficient. i am not planning to change to sequential kit at this point of time as i will be changing cars before breaking even. so i am not using a lemon kit. i also didnt mean alternate fuels are bad, just that govt should encourage selling of cng and lpg by giving more discount on pricing.
Old 4th December 2007, 16:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

LPG also drops average by 20% i have heard.
Old 4th December 2007, 18:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran
Since Petrol is artificially kept below the international market rate....
doc, petrol is NOT subsidised. It is diesel, domestic-LPG (not sure about auto-lpg) and kerosene which are subsidised in India at the cost of petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Why do I get the feeling that either you got a lemon of a kit, or are just plain talking out of thin air? If alternative fuel was that bad, so many companies wouldn't be selling it. Or maybe your mental blinkers are on.
If you read his post properly, he was all for alternate fuels (and not against).
Old 4th December 2007, 19:10   #25
BANNED

Hey buddy, there is a device which connects the LPG tank in car & pumps out all the gas from the cooking gas cylinder
As an off shoot, since the hoteliers use commercial gas, expect the prices in the menu to shoot up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdesai1987 View Post
really true... i hope people will start filling cookin gas soon... this tends to be and dont have any choice left
Old 4th December 2007, 21:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Hey buddy, there is a device which connects the LPG tank in car & pumps out all the gas from the cooking gas cylinder
As an off shoot, since the hoteliers use commercial gas, expect the prices in the menu to shoot up
The problem with cooking gas is , the cylinder contains a lot of dust which is bad for the LPG kit. The second thing is the cost. you have to spend around 500Rs per cylinder.
Old 4th December 2007, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

i have seen bikes like cd 100 and hero honda in junagad,my village and also villages around have an lpg tank in the shape of a bag kept inside the extra bag compartment some of these bikes are fixed with.
They carry a pipe which has to be connected to an lpg cylinder and the tank in the bag compartment gets filled and ur on your way
A litre of lpg in acd100 in my village used to give 65 to 70 kmph.
That is almost running it for free.Very unsafe practise though.
Old 4th December 2007, 23:38   #28

I remeber the days when Diesel cars where termed to be noisy and smelly, but today the scenario has changed.

I belive diesel is a much better option, considering safety, cost and more boot space.
Old 5th December 2007, 09:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Diesel is the way to go. Today and in future. The torque the modern day Diesel engines provide is worth a million. The safety and reliability of diesel engines are far higher than any other engines we have today. Last but not the least the % price increase on diesel will be always less than or equal to petrol or LPG (Whole transport backbone of India depends on Diesel). Hence the diesel car will always be attractive and is future proofed.
Old 5th December 2007, 10:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
If you read his post properly, he was all for alternate fuels (and not against).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
at this rate converting to lpg is a sin considering it gives about 80% mileage of petrol and occupies boot space, regular frequent change of spark plugs and air filter. include petrol injector cost every two years.
Completely not true in case of CNG, nor seen myself at a friend's place who used to convert 1-2 cars daily in Ahmedabad. Only fuel pump was earlier an issue with cng - tat too when one didn't use petrol AT all. Nothing much i'd heard ime with lpg for that matter - used to hang at my friend's place almost every other day.

Hence my response. No harm meant all the same.

Most Viewed