Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 10:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Hence the diesel car will always be attractive and is future proofed.
BUT, is it court- proofed?

Some other thread suggest that our courts and legislation are eager to phase out diesel cars in metros!
Old 5th December 2007, 10:16   #32
BHPian

I had a chat with an organization almost few days ago, during our business discussion we had some time to chat with and he mentioned about the manufacturing process of the Lpg. LPG by chemical names is butane and propane. LPG is produced as a result of refining crude oil. Also mentioned about other chemicals that too added along with above chemicals which I couldn't recollect.

I feel the present costing is exhorbitant.

Last edited by rapideffect : 5th December 2007 at 10:18.
Old 5th December 2007, 11:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Diesel is the way to go. Today and in future. The torque the modern day Diesel engines provide is worth a million. The safety and reliability of diesel engines are far higher than any other engines we have today. Last but not the least the % price increase on diesel will be always less than or equal to petrol or LPG (Whole transport backbone of India depends on Diesel). Hence the diesel car will always be attractive and is future proofed.
It too leant towards Diesel.
Thinking of buying a Swift Diesel instead of buying Petrol version.
The Initila cost is high but we can get the difference amount back after 1 or 2 years depending upon our usage.
Currently one one rupee difference between LPG and Diesel.Ha
Old 5th December 2007, 13:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideffect
LPG is produced as a result of refining crude oil.
Corracte!

I reckon that the 120 crore-a-day loss for the oil corporations is too much and they're not able to touch the petrol prices.And hence, they took it out on AutoLPG and Lubricants - they're other products.
What do u guys think?
Old 5th December 2007, 13:59   #35
BHPian

LPG costs will always vary with the global Crude costs + The Goverment as it is subsidizes the Domestic LPG, but none for Auto LPG. It is time to start offering more benefits for Alternate Fuel cars...!

CNG price increased from Rs 18 to Rs 19.20 per KG last year.
Old 5th December 2007, 14:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is a device which connects the LPG tank in car & pumps out all the gas from the cooking gas cylinder
Its called a "chemical transfer pump" and costs around 12k.
Apparently, its illegal to transfer LPG from a cylinder to a car fuel tank.
Old 5th December 2007, 15:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Its called a "chemical transfer pump" and costs around 12k.
Apparently, its illegal to transfer LPG from a cylinder to a car fuel tank.
This is used only outside cities. It is a crime to use domestic LPG for automobile use. The pump costs only around 4-5k, but totally illegal to use that pump for transferring combustible elements without proper licenses.
Old 5th December 2007, 15:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This is used only outside cities. It is a crime to use domestic LPG for automobile use. The pump costs only around 4-5k, but totally illegal to use that pump for transferring combustible elements without proper licenses.
In my native place[near to salem], everyone fills domestic gas fo their cars. Mostly the cab walah's. Cylinder is your headache. They charge around 50Rs per vehicle. The reason they say for domestic gas usage is,

1. The availability of AUTOGAS is less.
2. The cost of AUTOGAS is high comparatively.
3. Domestic gas gives better mileage than AUTOGAS.
Old 5th December 2007, 21:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

The domestic LPG is unsafe. There is also possibility of dust and other particles in the fuel. Will block the vapouriser with extended use.

PS: inspite of the bad nature of domestic LPG, my M800 ran for 80000kms+ without a engine overhaul.
Old 6th December 2007, 11:33   #40
BHPian

I was chatting with my second-hand car dealer yesterday and informed him about the hike in LPG prices ...

His comment was that usually winters warrant a higher pricing of LPG ... even last winter the prices hovered around the 28 Rs. mark ... it has something to do with extraction and refinement of crude, which is rather difficult in the winters ... thats his opinion

I am not sure how justified is that logic...any comments from the pros?
Old 6th December 2007, 17:08   #41
BHPian

I was a fan of LPG for its low running cost and smooth handling. We had a padmini running on it quitely for long time.

During the next car purchase I was seriously considering used Esteem/ Accent to convert for LPG. Opted out finally after the Swift D launch.

To my usage I think it is justified. I do not have hassles of looking for LPG availability whereever I go and much cheaper running cost compare to LPG/Petrol
Old 16th December 2007, 22:14   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I was chatting with my second-hand car dealer yesterday and informed him about the hike in LPG prices ...

His comment was that usually winters warrant a higher pricing of LPG ... even last winter the prices hovered around the 28 Rs. mark ... it has something to do with extraction and refinement of crude, which is rather difficult in the winters ... thats his opinion

I am not sure how justified is that logic...any comments from the pros?
ya! even I've heard about the price hike during winter, but I think it has something to do with the usage of LPG.... probably LPG is used for room heating in colder regions.
Old 17th December 2007, 07:27   #43
BHPian

I talked with an LPG fitter here in tvm and he said the rising prices in winter are common and is due to high demand of lpg on room heaters in UK and other countries. But still a five rupee hike is way too highhhhhhhhhh
Old 17th December 2007, 09:17   #44
BHPian

I have seen many people use the LPG cylinders in their cars which are meant for house purpose as this will be very cheap compared to the commercial LPG meant for Automobiles.
This is banned by the Govt. But still....
Old 17th December 2007, 20:10   #45
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
I have seen many people use the LPG cylinders in their cars which are meant for house purpose as this will be very cheap compared to the commercial LPG meant for Automobiles.
This is banned by the Govt.
This "problem" would go away if the sarkar stopped charging three different rates for LPG (domestic, commercial, Autogas). Set a price (no convoluted subsidy schemes etc), and then let consumers pay according to their usage rather than application.

But that is too straightforward, and it would threaten the jobs of babus whose sole purpose in life is to calculate and balance the subsidies and prices etc of hydrocarbons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks