Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 11:05   #1
BANNED

Query Regarding Car’s Battery ?

Dear Team,

I have seen many cars with lightings like LED’s, Fog lamps, Under Body lights and Big Speakers with Bass and amplifier, As per my knowledge these all accessories are battery driven (doesn’t consume fuel) , Is Car’s battery so powerful that it can take load if all above mentioned accessories, or we are reducing life of our battery by over loading it ?

Regards,
Jitendra
Old 5th December 2007, 11:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

LEDs consume very little power. Fog lights and Car systems are generally switched on in running cars where the alternator complements the power load.
So no harm is done to the battery.
Old 5th December 2007, 11:38   #3
BANNED

If alternators power is enough to take the load then no harm to battry or upgrade the full electrical system(alternator+battry).
Old 6th December 2007, 11:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

You do have a point Jitendra. The stock battery supplied with the car generally takes care of most of the things. But when you accessorise your car then I suggest follow this thumb rule that was once told to me by my mechanic:

"If your stock battery is 75AH then at the time of its replacement, install a 80 or 85AH battery. The alternator is fully equipped to charge this extra powerr battery."

This battery, while taking care of your all power hungry accessories will also see you through harsh winters, though in Mumbai you wouldn't have heard about winters though.cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
Dear Team,

I have seen many cars with lightings like LED’s, Fog lamps, Under Body lights and Big Speakers with Bass and amplifier, As per my knowledge these all accessories are battery driven (doesn’t consume fuel) , Is Car’s battery so powerful that it can take load if all above mentioned accessories, or we are reducing life of our battery by over loading it ?

Regards,
Jitendra

Most Viewed