Team-BHP - Esteem Gearbox trouble ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Esteem Gearbox trouble ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/32240-esteem-gearbox-trouble.html)

Never ever heard of it, but :Shockked: Yes, looks like it is true. i have a grinding noise coming from the gearbox of my 9 year old esteem.

when does this happen ?
it always happens in 1st gear when i take the revvs past 3k rpm.

the second gear was smooth, no problems. but if i take the revvs past 3k rpm in 2nd & shift to 3rd, initially there is a grrrrr sound and then it is fine all the way. i still haven't tested it out in the highway, so i cannot be sure of the results.

my thoughts : when there is sudden acceleration or sudden increase in the engine rpm, the grinding noise appears, if the acceleration is slow, there is no sound.

HELP !!!!! someone with a sound knowledge of the gearbox should be able to pin point the problem, could anyone do that for me please ??

please:

one of the bearings or the synchros worn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 647865)
one of the bearings or the synchros worn?

I presume that is inside the gearbox, in that case, is it major trouble ?

This has to be diagnosed VERY carefully.
Try to get EXPERT help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 648072)
This has to be diagnosed VERY carefully.
Try to get EXPERT help.

do you know of any EXPERT ? do you think i could trust MASS for this ?

synchros if gone cost to open replace and fit back is 2k
not a major issue as you can buy a gearbox for esteem for 3-5k in the market (second hand)
dont stress any good car mech can sort this out

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 647858)
Never ever heard of it, but :Shockked: Yes, looks like it is true. i have a grinding noise coming from the gearbox of my 9 year old esteem...............

HELP !!!!! someone with a sound knowledge of the gearbox should be able to pin point the problem, could anyone do that for me please ??

please:

I am trying to account for the noise and need to get more information from you. Do you have any trouble shifting into first gear or reverse from a stand still? Do you have any trouble placing the gear shift lever into any gear going up the gears or down? Do you hear any high-pitched whining noise? (bearing)

When it is beginning to make this noise quickly depress the clutch and let off the accelerator. Does the noise stop or continue? Upon hard accelleration does the car seem to "slip", loose power with the engine racing? (this would be clutch and not tranny probably). Is there any difference in the feel of the clutch pedal?

Nine years on a tranny is not bad performance but I hope it is an easy fix.

Gbox overhauling is a major exercise. Once opened, you never know what all other things crop up.

I had this problem with my 1973 Amby's (sold) Gbox. On my meagre earnings, I couldn't dream of getting an overhaul way back in 1980. I replaced the gear oil with CL-120 grade and all the noises vanished. In summers the gearbox functioned like a dream and the shifting was silken.

Had trouble in winters as the already heavily viscous oil thickened..:) I continued like that for another 3 years even highwaying without any problem.

If you are not inclined to get an overhaul, then replace the gear oil with either CL-90 or 120 if you get. I think nowadays CL-120 is difficult to get. You can try the truck/bus repair guys. I hear they use it.

You can extend the Gbox life a bit more till you decide to go for an overhaul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 648308)
I am trying to account for the noise and need to get more information from you. Do you have any trouble shifting into first gear or reverse from a stand still? Do you have any trouble placing the gear shift lever into any gear going up the gears or down? Do you hear any high-pitched whining noise? (bearing)

When it is beginning to make this noise quickly depress the clutch and let off the accelerator. Does the noise stop or continue? Upon hard accelleration does the car seem to "slip", loose power with the engine racing? (this would be clutch and not tranny probably). Is there any difference in the feel of the clutch pedal?

Nine years on a tranny is not bad performance but I hope it is an easy fix.

DirtyDan, the answer to all your questions is negative. I have no trouble slotting into any gear at anytime. I can easily manage to drive the car without getting this noise. Like I said before, the noise appears to come only when i accelerate hard, which is why it is happening quite often in 1st & very rarely in other gears. :)

Like Jaggu said bearing or synchro worn, the MASS should rectify it easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 648388)
DirtyDan, the answer to all your questions is negative. I have no trouble slotting into any gear at anytime. I can easily manage to drive the car without getting this noise. Like I said before, the noise appears to come only when i accelerate hard, which is why it is happening quite often in 1st & very rarely in other gears. :)

That may be good news. It still might be a clutch problem.

Or, maybe a syncro, washer or blocker...or a broken piece, rattling around in the tranny box. You are about due for a rebuild though. Check the tranny oil level first before you do anything.

When did you last change your gear oil?

I faced a similar grinding noise when I used to accelerate in second and third in my Zen. The workshop guys pinpointed it to gearbox input shaft. When this was repaired, all the grinding noise disppeared.

You will get different solutions and get confused until we can pinpoint what the exact problem is. Difficult without actually looking at the problem. First thought though is its a minor issue and can be resolved by changing the wornout bearings/synchro.

Drive to your nearest service station and see what they have to say. Compare his notes to what has been said here and ask questions as to what would be required to be changed. Dont let them experiment if they are not sure. If required check what the service station says and report here. We will see how this goes. Better still maybe someone from Chennai on this forum can tag along with you, who knows a bit about gearboxes.

With gearboxes, its really very difficult to say what the problem could be until its opened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfire (Post 648947)
You will get different solutions and get confused until we can pinpoint what the exact problem is. Difficult without actually looking at the problem. First thought though is its a minor issue and can be resolved by changing the wornout bearings/synchro.

Drive to your nearest service station and see what they have to say. Compare his notes to what has been said here and ask questions as to what would be required to be changed. Dont let them experiment if they are not sure. If required check what the service station says and report here. We will see how this goes. Better still maybe someone from Chennai on this forum can tag along with you, who knows a bit about gearboxes.

With gearboxes, its really very difficult to say what the problem could be until its opened.

best advice, esteem gear box are not that complicated and has been there for eternity. Any good A.S.S can diagnose the problem, actually some might even tell you the cause right after a test ride lol