Team-BHP - Getz parcel tray rattling?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Getz parcel tray rattling? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/32272-getz-parcel-tray-rattling.html)

I had this parcel tray rattling noise in my new GETZ 1.3 GLS for 10 months from my purchase date. Complained so many times to the service folks. But no fix at all. Useless people. Even just 2 days back they said the problem may be from the Tailgate release hydraulic assy and offered to replace it. But i told them it is the parcel tray and not the tailgate stuff. They didnt listen.
Finally you know what ?? I have fixed it with just Rs.3/-
Secret is my son's Nataraja pencil Eraser. I just cut the eraser longitudinally into 2 halves and inserted on both sides of my parcel tray in between the parcel tray and the adjacent platic piece on which the parcel tray is resting. I made it a press fit so that the parcel tray's movement is totally restricted(ensure this. else u wont get the expected result). The relative motion of the parcel tray with the plastic piece is now eliminated with the eraser doing the trick. Now the cabin is noiseless, no rattles. Absolute bliss.... Only drawback is the parcel tray can't be lifted now. But I need the parcel tray removed only for my long trips which i go once in say 6 months.
Try it. If there is any problem, PM me...
Arun

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec (Post 648872)
I had this parcel tray rattling noise in my new GETZ 1.3 GLS for 10 months from my purchase date. Complained so many times to the service folks. But no fix at all. Useless people. Even just 2 days back they said the problem may be from the Tailgate release hydraulic assy and offered to replace it. But i told them it is the parcel tray and not the tailgate stuff. They didnt listen.
Finally you know what ?? I have fixed it with just Rs.3/-
Secret is my son's Nataraja pencil Eraser. I just cut the eraser longitudinally into 2 halves and inserted on both sides of my parcel tray in between the parcel tray and the adjacent platic piece on which the parcel tray is resting. I made it a press fit so that the parcel tray's movement is totally restricted(ensure this. else u wont get the expected result). The relative motion of the parcel tray with the plastic piece is now eliminated with the eraser doing the trick. Now the cabin is noiseless, no rattles. Absolute bliss.... Only drawback is the parcel tray can't be lifted now. But I need the parcel tray removed only for my long trips which i go once in say 6 months.
Try it. If there is any problem, PM me...
Arun

Great job..sometimes the solution just requires some brains.

I will give you another example. My wheelcaps(centerbolt design)began rattling after sometime as the cap was contacting the edge of the rim.Solution..paste a 4mm thick layer of sponge on the wheelcap ineerside circumference.Cost..Rs.5 for the adhesive.Waste Sponge was sourced from a sofa repairer

Arun, the stock parcel tray rattles when decent speakers (like 6X9s) are installed on them and played at even moderate volumes. The better solution is to get a tray made of MDF (Medium density fiber wood) - which would help you solve the problem permanently - even if you amp the speakers later.

I wanted an MDF tray too, but The installer said that Indica's tray is heavy and good enough for 6X9 Setup minus woofer. I do still have ocassional rattles if the road is bumpy.

MDF is the only answer to speaker rattle in hatchbacks. They come custom built & fitted for all major car models. They also come off easily, when baggage requirments demand.:)

In my case, I required spacers also- since the CNG tank is installed...more newer CNG setups have a low hieght based tank installed but they cover up the spare wheel well also...so good for cars moving on tubeless and CNG.

I will think of of an MDF if the rattles go on to become worse.

where is a good place to buy (and fit) MDF tray in Mumbai? For my Palio Stile 1.6

Thanks for the advice folks. My SWIFT also has parcel tray problems and the car accessories shop suggested me to go for MDF tray. The cost of the cheapest MDF tray is around INR 850 (labor included). Is that a fair price? Please help. The noise is irritating.

NIce. For the Zen that I have at home I wrapped some electrical insulation tape around the pivot and rest points on the parcel tray and VOILA !!! no more rattles. So much for MASS people.

Some times I think are these people ( service advisors/ engineers ) born stupid or do they say outrageous things just to irritate us !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigsom (Post 649135)
Great job..sometimes the solution just requires some brains.

I will give you another example. My wheelcaps(centerbolt design)began rattling after sometime as the cap was contacting the edge of the rim.Solution..paste a 4mm thick layer of sponge on the wheelcap ineerside circumference.Cost..Rs.5 for the adhesive.Waste Sponge was sourced from a sofa repairer

I got the new parcel tray. It cost me 850 bucks, the rattle has stopped, however there is still some knock sound when I go down slowly on some slope or a bad road, comes from rear right. May not be because of the tray.

Hello

there are rattling noise coming up from rear right side area whenever driving on poor roads or speed breakers.I ensured that there are no objects kept at the back /boot space,but still the rattling noise comes up.There is no noise during driving on smooth roads.Please suggest some check points.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasukhija (Post 1297998)
I got the new parcel tray. It cost me 850 bucks, the rattle has stopped, however there is still some knock sound when I go down slowly on some slope or a bad road, comes from rear right. May not be because of the tray.

this is exactly what im facing in my getz.To make sure.i removed the tray and drove and still I heard rattling noise from rear right side while driving on poor roads and speed breakers

getzz prime needs to be damped badly !!

it could be suspension bush , my card had same problem but it automatically got vanished !!

The clips used to secure the plastic panels (on the side above rear tray) could be loose. The ICE installer pulled the panel resulting in squeeking rattling for my getz. Hyundai was unable to resolve and I got it resolved from another ICE installer.

Bring it to the notice of your service station. They would take a test drive and try to rectify it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 (Post 1358376)
this is exactly what im facing in my getz.To make sure.i removed the tray and drove and still I heard rattling noise from rear right side while driving on poor roads and speed breakers

Take your car to the service station. I took my SWIFT to Sai Service, Pune. They were able to fix the problem for few days, but the issue came back :(

I am just living with it now. Sai didnt charge me anything for it since my car is still under warranty. Apparently they re-greased(?) all contact points. That is what I could see in the job card.