Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2007, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Issue with Innova Keys

My cousin picked up a new Innova ( diesel, top end model - V7S ) in last week. Now at the time of delivery, we were given a set of 3 keys : 2 with remote locking buttons and 1 without any remote locking buttons.

We were told by the advisor that the third key ( red in colour ) cannot be used to start engine of the car. It'll start only with the other 2 keys as there's some chip ala RFID present in those 2 keys. Fine with that.

Now my question is : We are in a habit of havin 2 extra copies made of the key, just to avoid nuisance at any time. The advisor told me that no Duplicate key will work on the car, except for opening it. The engine wont start with duplicate keys.

The service centre guys charge about 3800/- for another set of 2 keys for a car, which is insane IMHO.

Now, my 1st question is how true is it that due to absence of this chip, no duplicate key works on innova ? Has anyone tried ?

Secondly, Is there any work-around for this, if its true ??

And last : if i remove the stock remote locking system provided by the company, would that contribute to violation of warranty ??
Old 9th December 2007, 23:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

First of all, nice choice of vehicle Hrishikesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanitkar View Post
Now, my 1st question is how true is it that due to absence of this chip, no duplicate key works on innova ? Has anyone tried ?
Your ignition must be having an engine immobilizer and the sales guy was right about the inability to use any duplicate key made from the local key maker.

Quote:
Secondly, Is there any work-around for this, if its true ??
Even if you find a work around, I think you should enjoy the safety feature and live with it.

Quote:
And last : if i remove the stock remote locking system provided by the company, would that contribute to violation of warranty ??
Yes it will!
Old 10th December 2007, 00:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ya you cant use any other key other then the company given keys in any car with Immobilizer. The easiest way around is to get the keys made from Toyota, since they know best what they are doing.
Old 10th December 2007, 00:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now my question is : We are in a habit of havin 2 extra copies made of the key, just to avoid nuisance at any time.
Why do you guys need more than three sets of keys?? I would naturally loose my keys if i had more than the required set to fall back on
Moral has answered all your other questions

Quote:
and how do you propose doing that? the lock/unlock buttons are built into the key and dont tell me you are gonna bypass that system so that you can make another set which wont work anyways. My advice, learn to keep the keys in a safe and easily remembered place.
Old 10th December 2007, 00:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Toyota also uses something which Maruti calls as iCat, akhenbilli.
Old 10th December 2007, 01:01   #6
BHPian

rs.3800/- isn't bad at all for two RFID keys to a car which costs around 10 lacs. a work around (if it does exists) will ruin what i think is a very effective safety feature......
Old 10th December 2007, 01:08   #7
BANNED

I really don't understand the ISSUE here. It seems you haven't used a car with immobiliser earlier. It's normal Baba!
A car fitted with an immobiliser will not start with any other key. The key which comes with the car contains a unique code and it cannot be duped easily.

And please! Don't try and bypass the system. It'll end you up in more unwanted trouble. But I still can't understand why you should do a bypass. This whole system is designed for yours and your car's safety. Learn to live with it and you're going to be very happy in a few days.
Old 10th December 2007, 02:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I really don't understand the ISSUE here.
The issue is he does not like, want or need this expensive 'safety' feature. I do not like it either. I think it is too complex and too much can go wrong with it. I have a heavy duty hidden toggle switch on my vehicle. It can not start unless the toggle is thrown and the key turned. It is enough to make most would be thieves give up and try an easier vehicle.
Old 10th December 2007, 04:24   #9
BANNED

I think a better option for those who don't like an immobiliser in their cars is to opt out of it while booking. Or go for the one which is not equipped with one.
But, I would still call it stupidity. :
Old 10th December 2007, 09:01   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
It seems you haven't used a car with immobiliser earlier. It's normal Baba!
Hehehehe.. yep. I have to agree that its a very useful feature, but somehow the older people in our family ( dad and my uncle ) dont agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
rs.3800/- isn't bad at all for two RFID keys to a car which costs around 10 lacs.
Well, re-thinking about it - yes !

@v-16 : man, we have total of 5 drivers in our family and keeping the keys at home every time is not possible. So need a coupla more.

Thanks for the info, guys. I think keeping the stock security system intact is the best way to go.

Update : While i was typing this, got a call from cousin and he's telling me that the car was broken into yesterday night. Someone broke the rear passenger window, and took away the crappy mp3 player.
Other 3 cars were broken into. All have lost their audio players ( none expensive - 2 cassete players and one cd player )
Old 10th December 2007, 09:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have a heavy duty hidden toggle switch on my vehicle. It can not start unless the toggle is thrown and the key turned. It is enough to make most would be thieves give up and try an easier vehicle.
I'd like to make a point here: IF you had this switch fitted by ANYONE other than yourself or a totally trusted family member, your security stands compromised. I know many people who 'get it fitted' by the friendly neighbourhood mechanic (BTW, it is known as a 'chor switch' in local jargon), and almost every self respecting car thief has learnt how to defeat this! (They only need to locate the 'hidden' switch and short the 2 wires coming to it! And after all, how many locations are there within easy reach of the driver to 'hide' such a switch?)
You are right about one thing though: any other equivalent car being around, the thief would rather steal that instead of one that does not start on first crank (or does not crank at all)!
This cannot even be discussed in the same breath as iCATs, which is a very sophisticated immobilizer.
Do be careful!
Old 10th December 2007, 09:45   #12
BHPian

Hi Hrishikesh!

There IS a way around this. If the immobiliser chip can be removed from the key, simply paste the chip near the starter keyhole. Use can then any duplicated key, the car will still start....buttttttt you WILL lose the security associated with an immobiliser.
Old 10th December 2007, 09:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service centre guys charge about 3800/- for another set of 2 keys for a car, which is insane IMHO.
You think thats insane? Honda charges 8,000 for the CRV key!
Old 10th December 2007, 11:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Hi Hrishikesh!

There IS a way around this. If the immobiliser chip can be removed from the key, simply paste the chip near the starter keyhole. Use can then any duplicated key, the car will still start
I do not believe it is as simple as that. I have tried having the original key present at every conceivable location/geometry near the keyhole while trying to start my WagonR with the 'locally made duplicate' key. Didn't work!

But let me point out one thing that 'scares' me about these iCATs immobilizers: They have been around in other countries for many years. Car thieves did not always 'bother' with high-tech' gadgetry to bypass these things. Instead they hold you at gunpoint and ask you to let them drive off! In other words, only the venues and circumstances of car thefts have changed!

Last edited by anupmathur : 10th December 2007 at 11:31.
Old 10th December 2007, 12:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
You think thats insane? Honda charges 8,000 for the CRV key!
Maruti is charging 1580 for a set of 2 keys which have the embedded chip in it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks