Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 16:03   #1

Fiat Petra - punctured silenser (do I need to worry ?)

Hi,
About a month back my car's silenser started suddenly started making lot of noise, when I took it to the service station mechanic showed me that just before the big drum kind of thing on the silencer a big hole was visible

I asked the mechanic whether this would create any problem other than giving me the nice sporty sound he said that it'll have no side effect other than the louder sound and I am safe to use the car in this way

Can you please tell me if it'll having any impact on the engine or any other part ?? I like the noise that my silenser makes now and am not planning to get it fixed soon

-Thanks
Old 14th December 2007, 17:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing a similar thread few days ago - duplicate post ?
Anyway, one of the cons would be low FE - not sure of the exact funda though.

I am running my bike currently with the silence pipe broken just after the engine. The sound is horrible and I see a drop in mileage also after this.
Old 14th December 2007, 17:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

While you might love the sound from the silencer,other road users may not..so please mend it as soon as possible..even a temporary repair by a welder would suffice.

I am not too sure of a drop in FE on four stroke engines(as they are governed by valves) but there is a FE drop in two stroke engines as part of the Fuel-air mix woud tend to escape through a leaky exhaust due to lower resistance.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

I had such a problem on my Palio about a year back. Probably something hit the silencer and it had punctured. I did have that sporty noise for about few weeks before sending the car for service. People at service fixed the issue and there has been no such reoccurance of the problem since then.

There should not be any issues with you running the car like that, but for the noise. I did not see any difference in the fuel efficiency when my car was sporting the punctured silencer.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

continue reading here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...iat-petra.html

it shouldn cause much damage, just keep an eye out for the pipe, so that it doesnt completely break off the end can.

mods, lock this?

Most Viewed