Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 01:37   #1

SOS : Engine Oil leakage in Lancer.

Hi Guys,

I have serious problem with my Lancer, its 2001 model, driven for 123,000km. I am the 2nd owner, bought it from automart,delhi in 2005 when it was at 77,000km. i have got is serviced every 5,000km. I love my car, would like to keep it.

For past three months i am getting engine oil leakage problem with it.
I got its engine gaskit changed, then a month later another gaskit changed at the bottom of the engine.

but the leakage is still there, now the oil is starting to get into the spark plugs, because of which the car has started to miss.

I have got it checked from one known trused mechanic & Asian motors, Delhi.

The mechanic has adviced me to try to get the piston rings replaced at an estimate of 12k, if that doesnt help he is advicing a engine overhaul for 55k, but with no gurrantee if it will work.

The authorized mechanic at Asian motors, delhi, is talking about a 1L+ estimate with again no gurrantees.

Everybody is advicing me to sell it off, i love this car, can anybody advice me what is best possible i can do in this scenrio.

Pls advice. Thanks!!
Old 17th December 2007, 04:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

they are expensive!!!
also if oil is visble in/ near spark plugs its not the gaskets for sure.
the reason is rings and yes will have to open the engine but that price is ridiculous. if you like the car and want to keep it open the engine and get it rebuilt by someone who know there stuff and it will cost you much much less than what you have been quoted.
or if you wanna spend money and go performance you can do that but you are looking at opening the engine for sure
Old 17th December 2007, 07:38   #3
BHPian

sell it off, lancer or merc, any car that needs a rebuild so soon, is having serious implications..!

Lancers are great machines and go upto 1,50,000 KM without any engine issues- Seems like in this case What you got was a bad buy.
Old 17th December 2007, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since U're in Delhi,PM member "iraghava" who'd introduce U to pandit&co which is a recommended garage on team-bhp.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Faskback - Have PM'ed you the details you had asked for. As for the rebuild, make sure you get an estimate first & understand that what all work is going to be done. If you find it reasonable & think it's worth spending that kind of money on an old car only then go ahead with it.
Old 23rd December 2007, 22:15   #6

Hi,

i have been given a estimate of 40-50k by pandit & co, for complete engine overhaul, that is suppose to include changing of all engine internal moving parts.

my concerns,
is it worth it - am not sure if spending 50k+ will settle the problem.
i am getting an offer for 1.75L to sell this car now, guys pls advice, from your experince??

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks