Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 21:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
I am using normal unleaded Petrol from BP outlet for the past 5 years.
Now, I plan to move over to Shell Unleaded soon.
Can I fill up the tank with Shell while some 5 ltr of BP petrol still in tank? Is it ok if the different brands mix?
So you mean to say that you have not filled any other brand of petrol other than BP in the last 5 years? That's something.

And absolutely no issues mixing petrol. May I ask what made you think so?
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 22:17   #32
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, please wait for approval to EDIT the original post. Thanks.

Yes.BP branded petrol at the same outlet.This outlet at Saraswatipuram is close to my residence and was recommended here in TBHP forum.Nowadays it is getting crowded after an Autogas refilling unit is started recently.
Actually I felt the properties of these brands could be slightly vary due to the presnce of additives etc.That made me think in that way.
Thanks sagarpadaki for clarifying.

Yes,I am using BP only from the past five years from the same outlet at saraswatipuram barring couple of times(twice or thrice) at Bangalore on my visits. Reason being mainly due to its proximity to my Flat.Also the outlet was recommended in a related forum on TBHP.
Other reason being,it is not overcrowded normally.
I raised this doubt as different brands may have different additives and might result in issues if they are mixed.Anyway,thanks for clarifying.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th July 2014 at 22:32.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:37   #33
BHPian

Re: Which is the Best Brand of Petrol for your car?

Thanks mpksuhas for reassuring. The Shell outlet on Hunsur Road(Opp to Dyuthi Motors-Cheverolet dealer) is mentioned under "Best Petrol Pumps at Mysore thread" on TBNHP.
Also it is the sole Shell outlet in Mysore. So,I guess it is quite safe to mix.
Old 29th July 2014, 13:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks mpksuhas for reassuring. The Shell outlet on Hunsur Road(Opp to Dyuthi Motors-Cheverolet dealer) is mentioned under "Best Petrol Pumps at Mysore thread" on TBNHP.
Also it is the sole Shell outlet in Mysore. So,I guess it is quite safe to mix.
Shell is best anywhere you find it.Even i fill from there only when i visit Vijaynagar in Mysore
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 17:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. To be honest in Europe or the USA I would just fill up any of my cars wherever it was convenient. I have never paid any attention to brands or anything like that. If I paid any attention to the brand it was more likely to be that most Shell stations along motorways in Europe have better fascilities then a lot of their competitors. So you can get better food and beverages, but bad or better fuel was not the critiria for stopping and filling up at a particular brand.

All the big brands have big advertisement campaigns on what makes their particular petrol better, cleaner, greener whatever. And whilst some of these claims might be true under laboratory conditions, the actual difference these different fuels bring to you in day to day driving conditions is very small indeed, if any at all to be frank.

As long as you put the correct octan number in your car you should be good to go. Too high a number doesnt matter, too low might be a bit of a problem.

We used to have what was know as "white Petrol". Essentially, white label branded petrol, i.e. none of the big names. There are still some around. Probably twenty or more years ago it was often said these white petrols were inferior to the big brands. They probably weren't as such, because they came from the very same refinery. But what can make a difference in how the petrol is stored and transported. That's where it can get contaminated.

Personally, I always thought it was just a poor excuse from bad mechanics when your car exibits some poor performanance and all they can tell you there is bad petrol in your car. Petrol can go off though. Had it happen to me, with one of my cars whilst in long term storage. Very particluar smell and the car wouldn't even run on it.

Here in India I will fill up my Royal Enfield from any large petrol station I happen to be passing and when running low. Probably the one only critiria that is relevant for the petrol quality is high volume turn over. That will likely reduce the risk of contemnation (dirt/water). If they do sell contaminated fuel there will be a lot of angre customers about and it's likely to be known at large.

So, what makes a good, reliable petrol in India? What should I be looking for? Is there any science, facts, data to it?

Thanks

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 29th July 2014 at 17:09.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2014, 21:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Interesting thread. To be honest in Europe or the USA I would just fill up any of my cars wherever it was convenient.

So, what makes a good, reliable petrol in India? What should I be looking for? Is there any science, facts, data to it?
The issue is fuel adulteration, which I suppose is rarely a problem in Europe. Maybe isolated regions have old stock of petrol which over a period of time has accumulated more solid dissolved impurities or chemical deterioration.

In India, we generally look out for busy pumps as they would likely be more honest (in terms of cheating by meter tampering , or distracting customers from noticing filled vs billed amount) , and fresher stock.

OT: I see you are one post away from being a grand poster
Old 29th July 2014, 21:29   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The issue is fuel adulteration, which I suppose is rarely a problem in Europe. Maybe isolated regions have old stock of petrol which over a period of time has accumulated more solid dissolved impurities or chemical deterioration.

In India, we generally look out for busy pumps as they would likely be more honest (in terms of cheating by meter tampering , or distracting customers from noticing filled vs billed amount) , and fresher stock.

OT: I see you are one post away from being a grand poster
thanks, that's more or less what I suspected and how I look at it as well. How fuel is stored and for how long is really relevant. And as I pointed out, I try for busy pumps too.

I have no idea what a grand poster is? I only just discovered that I have a little counter next to my name? Do I get a price or something? That would be neat!
So what's the next level? Grand master poster or something?

Jeroen
Old 11th April 2022, 14:50   #38
BHPian

Has anyone used Reliance / Essar petrol regularly for a long time?

We don't have a Shell outlet in our city but have the above two. A fellow Altis owner was batting heavily for the Reliance petrol. Is it anything better over IOCL / BPCL / HPCL?
Old 11th April 2022, 20:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumar_rec View Post
I am using the IOC Extra Premium for my Getz without any additives.

Can someone throw light as to which is the best brand in the Petroleum brands available in India which will give a
1. Better Mileage
2. Longer Engine Life
3. Smooth operation

Thanks
Arun
IOC Xp95 for the cars which need this specification - mostly all BS6 turbo charged petrol engines.

If it is BS4 and the engine is NA then IOC 93 Octane is excellent.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:28   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Has anyone used Reliance / Essar petrol regularly for a long time?

We don't have a Shell outlet in our city but have the above two. A fellow Altis owner was batting heavily for the Reliance petrol. Is it anything better over IOCL / BPCL / HPCL?
Technically i can’t tell if Reliance / Essar are better than their counterparts but in real use reliance petrol gives better performance and slightly better mileage too. My in laws always fill their petrol at reliance outlet and are really satisfied. Essar outlet while are always empty waiting for customers.

While here in Mumbai I always prefer petrol from BPCL for my bike.
Old 12th April 2022, 18:37   #41
BHPian

I have been using Essar(Now Nayara) since long and what i heard is that this fuel is generally exported and recently it has been rolled out in the Indian market for the masses .Not sure how much of it is true. I have compared the FE with regular Shell and Essar and didn't find any difference. So i prefer Essar as its less expensive than Shell and gives same FE. On highways i prefer XP95 and if its not available then HP power.
Old 12th April 2022, 18:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlock666 View Post
IOC Xp95 for the cars which need this specification - mostly all BS6 turbo charged petrol engines.

If it is BS4 and the engine is NA then IOC 93 Octane is excellent.
IOC 93 Octane ???? Are you referring to the regular IOC Petrol?
Old 12th April 2022, 18:47   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
IOC 93 Octane ???? Are you referring to the regular IOC Petrol?
Sorry I meant 91 octane for regular and then you have higher octane fuels in XP95 and XP100
Redlock666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 11:35   #44
BHPian

IOC any day,followed by shell which isn't available in goa yet.
I have noticed better engine response with IOCL and shell fuel. Even in my diesel car the shell fuel really changes how my car performs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks