Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2004, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Advice on using a car Body Cover & washing

Tell me if I should use Body cover [Parachute material - silver] on my car. I park it on road/footpath as I've no space for Garage. When I was buying body cover, the guy at shop told me not buy canvas cover as it was very heavy and will cause scratches on the body. So I bought that silver colored cloth which every one say as parachute. [I'm not sure really. Never felt a real parachute ]

Now I've doubts if that will also cause scratches??? When I come back from long drives, I spray water once all over, allow water to dry and then put the cover after some time.

Tell me how often should I wash my car [& how] and should I cover it with cover at all. I've a tree which drops some fruits with green colored juice. [It gives me good shade 24 hrs] Now what to do...........!!!

Old 28th December 2004, 13:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

clean the car thoroughly and dry also with cloth making sure water is not collecting in door n stuff then cover the car, use wax once a month.. spraying water and allowing to dry is not a good idea coz it will start leaving stains on the paint after a while..

DONOT tie stones or such stuff to keep the cover down in wind, it might hit the car and cause scratch instead (from a dear friends experience)
Old 28th December 2004, 14:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

but a good quality cover like Polco .these heave belts to secure the cover.
and never clean with a dry cloth .as it will surely leave scratch or swirl marks.
use good quality wax like turtle wax,Autoglym.
u from bangalore,y dont u mkeet with witb ustaads like Rudrafor more advice
Old 28th December 2004, 16:02   #4
BHPian

Thanks everyone... Is chemois leather a good thing compared to cloth..?

Where do I meet Mr. Rudra Sen. [I see lot of invaluble tips from him on many posts]
Why not some one post a to do list of things and addresses of Ustaads, for novices like us. Is there a meeting place kind of thing.
Old 28th December 2004, 17:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

chemois is definitely better than ur regular cloth if used properly. you could also consider the new TYVEK bodycovers by DuPont, supposedly the best scratchproof cover in the market yet.
Old 28th December 2004, 17:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

i agree with autopsyche.tyvex are the ebst .its a dupont product being made by Polco .
it is available at all tata showrooms as an after market accessory.
u can also get it for other cars.
u can get them for your car by contacting Mr.Vishal at shali007@rediffmail.com.
if u find it expensive u can use the normal Polco covers which are also available from him at maybe 1500rs.
u can get it at cheaper than market rates from this above mentioned person.
Old 28th December 2004, 19:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk
Thanks everyone... Is chemois leather a good thing compared to cloth..?

Where do I meet Mr. Rudra Sen. [I see lot of invaluble tips from him on many posts]
Why not some one post a to do list of things and addresses of Ustaads, for novices like us. Is there a meeting place kind of thing.
[quote]

Chemois leather is very good if you get it regularly.
Also expensive as 600/- plus. You can get them at Ozzne at Indiranagar.
I'm no ustaad but try to keep my car in right shape.

TBHP people meet once in a while as planned meet.
Otherwise, I'm in touch with lot of members anyway.
PM me and we can meet.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th December 2004 at 19:04.
Old 29th December 2004, 15:01   #8
BHPian

Where is this ozzne in Indra nagar?
Old 28th June 2005, 11:47   #9

Today I booked my new car, FIAT ADVENTURE SPORT. (newly launched)
Rs 6.26 lacs on road Pune.
If someone from Pune guys can tell me where can I get a good Body Cover for Fiat Adventure. As there is no company manufactured body cover specially for Adventure for todays date(as sales executive says).
Old 28th June 2005, 11:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hemant, Congrats on your new purchase! First check with both the dealers, Jay Vijay and Ashwamegh. Otherwise, check with Modern at JM road (near Cafe Sunrise) and Bhandari on JM road (opposite Hotel Panchali). I had tough time finding body cover for Petra. Where are you buying your Adventure from?
Old 28th June 2005, 11:58   #11
BHPian

@Hemant, congrats on your new buy! Its an awesome set of wheels!

@RX, where did you get the Petra cover from? I am also looking out for a cover for my Petra. Price paid?
Old 28th June 2005, 12:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

@camry, my brother bought it from Bhandari, so not very sure about price. Funny part is that I have not used it even once, since we have covered parking. I guess, Ashwamegh has all season body cover at Rs. 1800/-. Market price for average body cover should be between 500/- to 800/-.
Old 28th June 2005, 12:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@camry, my brother bought it from Bhandari, so not very sure about price. Funny part is that I have not used it even once, since we have covered parking. I guess, Ashwamegh has all season body cover at Rs. 1800/-. Market price for average body cover should be between 500/- to 800/-.
Thanks for the info ... I assume the Polco cover is for @1800/- ? The DuPont being even more expensive, and the canvas for @800/- ?
Old 28th June 2005, 12:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
Thanks for the info ... I assume the Polco cover is for @1800/- ? The DuPont being even more expensive, and the canvas for @900/- ?
By canvas, I assume you mean blue cloth cover. No. For Rs. 700/- you should get that silver colored cloth cover (don't know what sort of material is that). Blue canvas covers should be around 450/- to 550/-. Not worth buying, IMHO! Buy Polco covers if you park in open space.
Old 28th June 2005, 12:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Hemant, Congrats on your new purchase! First check with both the dealers, Jay Vijay and Ashwamegh. Otherwise, check with Modern at JM road (near Cafe Sunrise) and Bhandari on JM road (opposite Hotel Panchali). I had tough time finding body cover for Petra. Where are you buying your Adventure from?
Thanks RX135 , camry93 and all car-freaks,

I am buying from Jay-Vijay.
The one which this dealer have, is for Siena Weekend (original from FIAT) . And I saw that, which is very old. arround 3-4 years old . so instead of buying that i thought better to buy a new one from outside if i can get a nice one.
I will check in those 2 shops. And let you know. Otherwise I have to go for that weekend's cover, as i am buying in rainy season, I think car cover necessary.

I am getting following accessories from dealer.
1. Tufguard coating
2. Filming for 7 glass, 6 side window and rear windscreen. (SRC filming)
3. FIAT Step garnish.
4. FIAT Shoulder Pads for seat belts
5. FIAT rubber floor Mats
6. FIAT Anti-skid boot mat and
7. A Perfume

Other things that I am going to fit later (not from dealer), are
1. Music system , shortlisted Kenwood MP3 CD player. : Need some advice from you guys on CD player and speakers (including which tweeters)
2. Remote locking : which one should i fit , Autocop terminator or else like pirana or etc etc

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks