Team-BHP - Fuel weight sensors to prevent cheating
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Fuel weight sensors to prevent cheating (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/32720-fuel-weight-sensors-prevent-cheating.html)

I feel if we have a weight sensor in the petrol tank which senses the weight of the petrol and converts that into litres of petrol, then we can easily come to know what amount of petrol is being dispensed into your tank by the dispensing unit in the petrol bunks. This will prevent us from the cheating petrol bunk wallas. Do we have any product like this in the market?

Alternately, the car weight should be calculated before and after filling the petrol. We can arrive at the fuel filled finding the difference in weight(we need to convert it to litres).

I forgot how to convert the weight into litres. Experts, please throw some light onto this.

Arun

@arun: a small note from the physics that i learnt at college ...

it is assumed that only water can be 1 kg to 1 liter.

for other liquids, the density of the liquid also will have to be factored in.

they may not have much difference but everything goes haywire if you are talking about volatile liquids,... in our case, automotive fuel!!

it is for this reason a litre to kg or vice-versa is not put into practical use where a small difference can vary the drama between war and peace :)

why not an orifice meter in the car,just like the water meters we got to measure the water collected by a consumer from the muncipality or corporation.this would solve the problem.if any one manufacturer comes out with such a solution that can be enough reason for the people going for it even if there is some other odd difference between the competition cars regarding features.
ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram_hyundai (Post 660379)
why not an orifice meter in the car,just like the water meters we got to measure the water collected by a consumer from the muncipality or corporation.this would solve the problem.if any one manufacturer comes out with such a solution that can be enough reason for the people going for it even if there is some other odd difference between the competition cars regarding features.
ram

wonderful and simple indeed. i have always had this in mind even when i had a gas guzzling shogun years ago.

Have you ever thought why none of the cars actually shows how many liters of fuel left on tank on the dashboard?

Calculating exact amount of fuel left on the tank is not very easy, especially when the tank is unsymmetrical, and consider slope etc.

calculating volume from weight have more problems!!
there may be variations in weight with the speed of the car!

and regarding the dashboard meter, In my friend's fusion there is an indicator showing the distance he can cover with the fuel left

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak (Post 660406)
Have you ever thought why none of the cars actually shows how many liters of fuel left on tank on the dashboard?

Calculating exact amount of fuel left on the tank is not very easy, especially when the tank is unsymmetrical, and consider slope etc.

That is very true.
In fact, why calculate by weight - the world has flow-meters. However, all such techniques will fail to resolve the issue. It will immediately happen that all bunks will only go by their meter and not entertain readings of any other meter! Take it or leave it. :)

Petrol has a sg(specific gravity) of approx 0.75 & hence weighs 750gms per lt(source: Mass, Weight, Density or Specific Gravity of Liquids) . ....and it varies with the current atmospheric temprature! so weight based sensors are of no gud use,

but yes, i feel if some company can come up with a flow based portable meter, that we can fit in between fuel nozzle and the fuel tank, that will be an instant hit!
take it or no take it, this device will certainly give us an idea which bunks to blacklist!

Regards,

@anup ... I agree with you, i recollect a incident when a auto chap was filling petrol in the 1.5L pepsi bottle. When the owner came out and stopped this and was trying to explain to the others that these guys are drunk are drunk and they always create problems..

Me being me stepped out and reasoned with the owner since this guys was not drunk he should fill up,,, after the usual ganging up by the bunk guys and trying to act tough and lot of arguing , I had my way when the public around me was supportive.

Reluctantly they continued to fill up which showed that the 1.5 l did not fill up the bottle till the expected mark, the counter argument from the staff was the petrol had evaporated as we spoke.

May be soo.. but it did not convince me I stopped visiting that bunk

Bu the general attitude at the bunk is take or leave it

It's not possible for the simple reason that the density of fuel (or any other liquid) varies with increase or decrease in temperature.

So, if you fill 10 ltrs of fuel early in the morning and then fill another 10ltrs at mid afternoon, you maynot get the exact same weight (even though both fills are exactly 10ltrs).

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by amohit (Post 660546)
take it or no take it, this device will certainly give us an idea which bunks to blacklist!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar (Post 660549)
But the general attitude at the bunk is take or leave it

The BEST that will be accomplished is that YOU would know which bunks to avoid.

still some sort of flow meter, or device of that sort will allow the general public to blacklist certain pumps...and if that occurs effectively, then the pump will have no choice but to buck up and provide the quality expected due to the drop in business...all it takes is the initiative and the right product to help measure the fuel

Alternately samples could be obtained from the various pumps, and checked for impurities or adulteration...surely the pumps will object, but that's never stopped people from trying

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 660598)
It's not possible for the simple reason that the density of fuel (or any other liquid) varies with increase or decrease in temperature.

So, if you fill 10 ltrs of fuel early in the morning and then fill another 10ltrs at mid afternoon, you maynot get the exact same weight (even though both fills are exactly 10ltrs).

Shan2nu

Does that mean that we can get more fuel in cooler temperatures?

Quote:

Yes. Early in the morning is prob the best time to fill gas.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca (Post 660857)

I do not know how sophisticated Indian fuel pumps are. In North America most pumps are computerized. The pumps can read plastic credit/debit cards, call your bank and access your account to automatically pay for fuel with no cash. These same pumps have sensors to measure fuel volume. Usually each state sets a temperature at which fuel is to be measured to ascertain what is a liter etc., and this way a standard is set. The pumps are sophisticated enough to be calibrated for this. That is, if the state standard is 15 degrees then the pumps will dispense the amount of fuel that is equal to a liter at 15 degrees regardless of what the underground bunker temperature is. They can compensate. These pumps are checked by the state governments for volume, octane and fuel quality. The accuracy and degree of enforcement of the checks varies from state to state. The question is, how sophisticated are Indian pumps?