Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 17:45   #1

My Swift & Its Clutch

I know that a somewhat similar topic has been posted earlier. But I am doing so again since I want to know what I should do personally in this case with regards to Vitesse

I upgraded to a Swift VXi from a Maruti 800 last year in November. As a driver, I am extremely careful and do not ride the clutch. Also, I am absolutely not prone to sudden accelerations. But my running is almost 75 kms per day in Mumbai and that too in heavy traffic most of the times.

While nearing 20,000 kms, I started hearing a clicking sound while releasing the clutch pedal. This sound was especially prominent while shifting into 1st. A few days later the car started juddering in 1st gear only. The problem got very severe while driving in traffic situations. The next morning again, the shifting would be smooth but the moment I encountered traffic and used the clutch regularly, the juddering would start. Even the pick-up suffered a lot. I therefore took this problem up with the Vitesse people during my first major service at 20,000 kms. The people there calmly informed me that there was nothing wrong with my clutch and that they would set it properly. So I collected my car back. But the problem still persisted. I went back there a few days later only to be told once again that there was nothing wrong with my clutch.

When I finally took my car for its next service at 24,000 kms on 30th November '07, I once again informed of the juddering problem. The guy took a test drive and calmly informed me that my clutch was in its last stages and that I should get it replaced. I lost my cool and informed him that all this while I was complaining about the clutch, I was being informed that it is fine. But this guy was very indifferent about it and told me that I was given wrong information. Since MUL Warranty does not cover clutch problems in any stage, I was forced to pay Rs. 7,000/- for the new one. The guy supervising my case calmly informed me that getting a clutch replaced was very common nowadays, all thanks to the traffic snarls.

I got my car back on 1st December and was very happy with the result. Unfortunately, just 4 days later, I started hearing the clicking sound like before after shifting into 1st. The very next day the car juddered a bit while driving in heavy traffic. Now I am at a loss and dont understand what to do. I called up Vitesse and they informed me to get the car back for a check which I am yet to do.

I really dont know what I will do if these people inform me that my clutch is gone again. Before I go there, I would like to know what is the possibility of my clutch being damaged once again? Is it possible within a span of just 17 days? Please help guys so that I can fight it out with those vitesse people.

thanks
Old 17th December 2007, 21:19   #2
BANNED

hey i have a swift, and i think the clicking sound is normal in the 1st gear. just got my second servicing done asked the service guys to check but they said everything was normal.
Old 18th December 2007, 00:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
hey i have a swift, and i think the clicking sound is normal in the 1st gear. just got my second servicing done asked the service guys to check but they said everything was normal.

Unless its a new characteristic introduced in the 2007 Swifts, there isnt any such "normal clicking" of the clutch. The only clicking I've seen in my/other Swift(s) is photgraphs being taken.
Old 18th December 2007, 00:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mine has some clutch rattle. But no clicking. Also mysteriously disappears during service.

As regards to warranty, it doesn't cover only wear and tear parts, and hence only your clutch plate. The rest of the clutch assembly should be covered under warranty. Ask them to prove it you that all of clutch assembly is not covered under warranty.
Old 18th December 2007, 10:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

no clicking sound in 12k kms Petrol Vxi
Old 18th December 2007, 11:01   #6
BANNED

every time i release the clutch in 1st gear and accelerate all of a sudden there is that "tak" noise, till now i have not face any performance loss, there is no sound while shifting above 2.5 k rpm. do u guys think ther is something wrong with my clutch also ??
Old 18th December 2007, 11:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

No clicking sound on a 48k done, partly worn clutch swift zxi.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:11   #8
BHPian

No!

NO such clicking sounds in my 38K done 2006 Sep Swift!

But I noticed this kinda sound in another same aged Swift which later underwent a clutch replacement along with differential shimmimg!!!
Old 20th December 2007, 15:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My swift has done 32000+ kms & I had recently observed that while releasing the clutch in 1st gear, it shudders. This happens only in 1st gear.

It's very difficult to drive in heavy city traffic conditions, where I need to engage 1st gear often or even stay in 1st gear for 200 or 300 mtrs. Even the passengers could feel the jolt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passioncool74 View Post

A few days later the car started juddering in 1st gear only. The problem got very severe while driving in traffic situations. The next morning again, the shifting would be smooth but the moment I encountered traffic and used the clutch regularly, the juddering would start. Even the pick-up suffered a lot.

Its exactly the same problem which Iam facing. But it happen only once in a while that too on continous traffic where Iam forced to stay in 1st gear for quiet some time.

My car is getting serviced at a outside garage(familiar with this forum) and wanted to revert back to MASS from next service.
Old 20th December 2007, 17:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Light View Post
every time i release the clutch in 1st gear and accelerate all of a sudden there is that "tak" noise, till now i have not face any performance loss, there is no sound while shifting above 2.5 k rpm. do u guys think ther is something wrong with my clutch also ??
I face the same in my 2 month old SX4! The sound does not come if I release the clutch very very slowly!!!
Old 20th December 2007, 17:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surprise
My car is getting serviced at a outside garage(familiar with this forum) and wanted to revert back to MASS from next service.
Did they check the issue properly?
If they can't, check with MASS since its a common complaint.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:14   #12
BHPian

Sorry to hear the issue you are facing. I just had a clutch overhaul and they replaces clutch set (around 2500 rupees) and I have now butter smooth clutch. However I haven't noticed anything like you have mentioned. I just had hard clutch so I did clutch overhaul.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:48   #13
BHPian

Swift & Clutch - The juddering & Swift Shockup's

I own a swift. Its getting over 3 yrs this april and has touch about 21000 KMS.

I maintain my vehicle very well. No bad driving n all.

Suddenly from the last one week at signals during the 1st gear pickup my car started juddering. I ignored it for 1-2 days but it became common.

I gave my car to SK wheel and now I get a reply that my clutch needs to be replaced esti cost.: 7-8k :(

I told him I only have the juddering issue. The car pickup is very good, I have been driving the car at 100-130KMPH at Mumbai-Pune highways. The car has done few KMS in 3 years and how come this issue?

He says your clutch plate may have got affected due to climatic conditions too.

I am worried and thinking what to do. Please help me out.

---------

Now the next issue, I sometimes experience jhataks on small potholes, speed breakers with my swift, sometimes it drives like its butter on road.

Again its smooth somedays, somedays its bad... Is it me? I need a checkup or does my car need one? :-|

I told the guy to check my shockup's. They say its fine and will check the linkage rod or something.

What could be the issue? Anyone experienced such problems?

My swift is under AMC and under extended warranty. What can I claim to save my money.???

Last edited by humm : 16th March 2010 at 00:53.
Old 16th March 2010, 08:59   #14
BHPian

SWIFT seem to have weak clutch. I got the clutches replaced at around 30K km mark and it is needing attention again at 60K kms.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Humm,

I have heard alot of reviews and complaints of the Swift having a weak clutch, however I do not know if this is true or not as I have a 2005 Swift which has done 50k kms till date and have no issues with the clutch what so ever. Eventhough I drive in Mumbai which is known for its notorious traffic snarls. I did have the juddering issue but that only happened during the monsoons and was told that it was due to moisture. I also had my clutch serviced at 40k kms but didnt have any parts of the clutch changed till date.

With regards to the jhatkas, it must be a worn out suspension bushing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks