Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2007, 18:40   #1
BHPian

Used Sensors - Where are they available?

My colleague - for a project -needs the following sensors (used in car engine's function monitoring):

Water Temperature Internal
Water Temperature External
Oil Temperature
Generator Voltage
Oil Pressure
Exhaust Temperature

He checked with several Maruti service stations. They all said Sensors are not available as spare. One station quoted a price of Rs.35000 for the set of 6 sensors

Different sensors ( used in Tata Indigo) are available as spares, with Manipal Motors and total price comes to around Rs.3500-4000.

Does any one know if discarded( but functional) sensors are available at a low price anywhere? Also, these sensors are having only Tata Part numbers and no specification sheets. Are the spec sheets for these sensors availble anywhere?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 18th December 2007, 01:41   #2
BHPian

Try the scrap yards for totalled vehicles. No idea about the specs.
Old 18th December 2007, 12:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest sourcing autoguage meters for all the above applications.
Old 18th December 2007, 13:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

As nitrous said, getting the meters would be the easiest method. U can also keep track of those readings. Or else, try scrapyards. Finding working mods at the service center may be will be a tough job since if they were working well then they would still be on the car right?
Old 18th December 2007, 14:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lots of spare part shops (non authorized ones) have connections with scrap yards and impound lots (accident cars etc). Tell them the parts you need (you may have to provide them with the original samples) and they should be able to source the parts for you. These are generally in good condition, but do a quick visual inspection before you buy them.
If you have any friends who are familiar with some spare part stores, ask them to help you out... so you don't get cheated by the store.

I had a similar situation where I had to get replacement sensors used in my Lancer engine, and went the route I have mentioned.
Old 18th December 2007, 17:35   #6
Suryam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
My colleague - for a project -needs the following sensors (used in car engine's function monitoring):

Water Temperature Internal
Water Temperature External
Oil Temperature
Generator Voltage
Oil Pressure
Exhaust Temperature

Thanks in advance for the help.
You have another cheap choice temperature sensors, if you use microcontrollers.

* Buy temperature sensors(from -50 to 125 DegC) ReDirect
* Above sensors are around .5$(==> Rs.30-50 including customs,etc) and one has different options for them (milliVolts, SPI method,etc)

* For temperature above 125 Deg C, you can use thermocouples(which are available at SP road in B'lore -- for example 'Vishal', where I bought Type-K for Rs.200). A Type-K thermocouple can measure temp upto 1200 Deg C(They have steel-sheath for protection ). But output of these thermocouples is in millivolts and you have to use ICs(eg MAXIM) for convering them into temparaure.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Suryam : 18th December 2007 at 17:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks