Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 14:15   #76
BHPian

hmm
let me explain
people seem confused as to why im willing to pay a premium for a diesl car though my running is so less ( as busa pointed out i would never recover the premium i paid for a diesl car when you compare the price diff between say a getz or swift - diesl and petrol versions)

so i answer the above by saying
well i dont mind sacrificing that extra bit just to own a FIAT palio 1.3MJD (which i hope is launced! if its not well ive justed wasted time!! and well 12k waiting for the new year! )

now i didnt like the palio 1.1 .and the 1.6 well im still thinkg about it)
so i just figured if a wanted to own a fiat it wud have to be a diesel though i dont need it
this justifies why im willing to pay the premium! just for a fiat!!

sorry i went , this post should be in "what a car" but i just wanted you guys to know the justification behing thinking diesel!

what say ?
Old 29th December 2007, 17:17   #77
BHPian

@Magma
Same is the situation with me. I do not like 1.1 and 1.6 because of its low mileage. I will be driving car around 25km/day and looking for FIAT car only. So, multijet 1.3 option is remaining for me.

Could someone please suggest me whether Diesel car option will be good for me if I travel 800km/month?
Old 29th December 2007, 22:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone please suggest me whether Diesel car option will be good for me if I travel 800km/month?
You can go for a diesel since your running is around 25kms a day, but it will take more time to recover the extra cost of the diesel car vis-a-vis the petrol.
Old 30th December 2007, 00:01   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

I will never recover the cost of my solar water heater in reduced electricity (though I would use a lot less hot water if it was heated electrically).

I doubt that I'll recover the cost of my Zero-B water purifier in not buying canned water.

I don't, according to the theory, do nearly enough driving to financially support the decision to buy a diesel.

It's not all about balancing the books.

I had, when we renovated this house, some money to spend on toys, and did so. I wanted the diesel experience, and never really considered the petrol Swift.

Its about experience, choice, pride of ownership, pleasure.
Old 30th December 2007, 11:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I will never recover the cost of my solar water heater in reduced electricity (though I would use a lot less hot water if it was heated electrically).

I doubt that I'll recover the cost of my Zero-B water purifier in not buying canned water.

I don't, according to the theory, do nearly enough driving to financially support the decision to buy a diesel.

It's not all about balancing the books.

I had, when we renovated this house, some money to spend on toys, and did so. I wanted the diesel experience, and never really considered the petrol Swift.

Its about experience, choice, pride of ownership, pleasure.
Sir
Very well said.
Old 30th December 2007, 12:18   #81
rippergeo

a palio diesel with the 1.3 would be very nice. and I think its worth the wait. that engine is brilliant. but not sure what will happen when the ngine goes into a relatively heavier chassis and body of a palio(compared to the swift)

Old 2nd January 2008, 15:19   #82
Senior - BHPian

no matter how much improved diesels have become these days, there are other issues like increased tyre wear, more regular suspension overhauls, body rattles due to vibrations and not to mention the periodic maintenance of injectors, pumps etc. and god forbid if timing belt snapped or a pump needed replacement then it would cost enough money to negate the fuel economy. also, these modern CRDi engines of verna, getz and swift that every one is going so gaga over will lose their charm after 70-80,000 kms. they do not run as fast and as efficiently after this mileage. i saw it in many accent crdis. some problem or the other starts surfacing to the point that people tend to palm 'em off. the petrol engines on the other hand, even abused ones, run the same even after 2.5 lakhs. if diesels are really so good then why are manufacturers still making petrol cars?
Old 2nd January 2008, 17:40   #83
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
@ripper
so as your post suggests : am i right in assuming that if im not worrying about the inital premium i have to pay for a diesel car then there is no problem in goin for it even if a drive in the city and that too only 50kms weekly???
Jat and busa please jump in too!
(busa i remember you posting that petrol would make a better choice for a case like mine: please explain)
I'm not sure if I answered this before, I'm too addled to remember, just came back from a 1100km new year day drive(in a diesel verna), first thing i do? i check this thread!

If you are not concerned about the initial premium, and you like the way a common rail diesel delivers its power,
PLEASE BUY DIESEL

there will be no regrets, doesnt matter if your running is less, if you, like me, enjoy the low down acceleration that a diesel can offer, BUY BUY BUY
there is no increased maintenance cost or reliability issues. see the list of diesel cars I've used.

just so that I know what answer you are looking for....what makes you doubt a diesel?

Old 2nd January 2008, 18:02   #84
rippergeo

my answers in BOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
no matter how much improved diesels have become these days, there are other issues like increased tyre wear,
Tyre wear AFAIK is more dependent on the driving style and the qaulity of the tyre itself, what does the fuel have to do with it?

more regular suspension overhauls,
diesels are heavier, agreed, but most cars come with beefed up suspensions, again, depends on how roughly one drives the car

body rattles due to vibrations
the diesel engine's vibration itself does not shake the chassis and cause rattles. that is down to shoddy build qaulity, and that problem is not confined to diesel. the petrol swift rattles just as bad as the diesel
The Diesel Verna,Fiesta, logan dont rattle any more than their petrol counterparts!

and not to mention the periodic maintenance of injectors, pumps etc.
I have never had to do this! honest question, Is it because I didnt know it had to be done, or is it because these issues never came up?
are there others reading this thread who have owned non-amby(not the Isuzu engines- they are niiiiice) diesels with similar issues?

and god forbid if timing belt snapped or a pump needed replacement then it would cost enough money to negate the fuel economy.
warranty would cover this wouldnt it? or am I wrong?anyways, Magma, the firestarter, is'nt considering a diesel for the economy, he's doing it for FUN

also, these modern CRDi engines of verna, getz and swift that every one is going so gaga over will lose their charm after 70-80,000 kms.
they do not run as fast and as efficiently after this mileage. i saw it in many accent crdis. some problem or the other starts surfacing to the point that people tend to palm 'em off. the petrol engines on the other hand, even abused ones, run the same even after 2.5 lakhs.
all engines suffer if not maintained, or if abused, or if fed on a diet of incorrect fuel and poor qaulity lubricants. abused petrol engines die, just like diesels. if you really want to see engines being abused, look at the commercial vehicle segment. Tata, mahindra and Force all make old gen diesels that are tortured along the length and breadth of our country and they still run tirelessly.
if diesels are really so good then why are manufacturers still making petrol cars?
all the action is happening in the diesel segment now, have'nt you noticed?
research is going into diesels now more than petrol. atleast thats what most sci-tech headlines say. that and the new car launches-everyone gets a diesel option.
diesels shall inherit the earth(someone's signature that I stole-sorry, but I like it a lot). its only a matter of time.

Old 3rd January 2008, 22:46   #85
BHPian

@ Rippergeo

I noticed you got the swift in sept, and the verna in nov.. Still the verna has clocked more kms. Addictive that car.. eh!
Old 4th January 2008, 06:06   #86
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibzez View Post
@ Rippergeo

I noticed you got the swift in sept, and the verna in nov.. Still the verna has clocked more kms. Addictive that car.. eh!
the verna is faster, and has a better ride, so other drivers in the family also go for the verna. i like it that way, cos everyone leaves my baby alone.

Old 4th January 2008, 14:33   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
my answers in BOLD

diesels shall inherit the earth(someone's signature that I stole-sorry, but I like it a lot). its only a matter of time.
To start with, Delhi intends to ban diesels. Looks like your predictions are falling apart
Old 4th January 2008, 14:58   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
To start with, Delhi intends to ban diesels. Looks like your predictions are falling apart
To end with, Delhi is not planning to ban diesels, just get the newer cleaner emission norms sooner
Old 4th January 2008, 17:38   #89
BHPian

hyundai disel engines are great !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Hyundai makes some fabulous diesel engines. Case in point is the Verna engine, it is a nuke
i have a elantra crdi with my friend which has clocked 135k+ and still the same performance like new.the car is only in the hands of me and my friend . i strictly believe that it purely depends on how you keep the car.

OT : during the last visit to a hyundai service center in punjab, the service people showed me a blue coloured elantra crdi which has clocked 267k+ kms ,they say that it has the same pickup as new with +- 5 to 8% diffrence.the car is there for left rear door replacement.
Old 4th January 2008, 17:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
i have a elantra crdi with my friend which has clocked 135k+ and still the same performance like new.the car is only in the hands of me and my friend . i strictly believe that it purely depends on how you keep the car.

OT : during the last visit to a hyundai service center in punjab, the service people showed me a blue coloured elantra crdi which has clocked 267k+ kms ,they say that it has the same pickup as new with +- 5 to 8% diffrence.the car is there for left rear door replacement.
Of all the good things i have heard of Elantra engine. I think it has to be the best diesel engine ever sold by Hyundai...

Most Viewed