Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2004, 07:46   #1

4 kmpl palio 1.6???? HELP!!!

[FONT=Arial]undefined[/FONT]

Hi ppl, i ve got a palio 1.6 i got a free flow exhaust on it (got it from coimbatore) i noticed a sudden drop in fuel efficiency last month. went down from 8 to 4/5 kmpl!!!

the fiat dealer said problem is with the exhaust and i changed it back to the original one. then they had the engine mapping checked and it was also ok. but the prob still persists. also there is a strong "rotten egg" sort of odour comin from the exhaust.

i had a feelin maybe somethingz wrong with the oxy sensor??? but i am totally clueless.

some please help me out
Old 31st December 2004, 08:52   #2
Team-BHP Support

Palio aint any Fuel sucker please!!!

[color=Blue][font=Comic Sans MS]Yes I mean it... Palio aint any fuel sucker... guys I have friend in Pune who is the works manager (Service) for a Fiat dealership here... well, if I can praise anybody's driving is his... he has about 5-6 complaints daily regarding high fuel consumption in the Palio... and the same car tested by him gives a consumption decrease by over 45-50 %... he has recorded a maximum average in the Palio diesel of 30 kmpl ... beat that !!! and about say 18-20 kmpl for most of the 1.6's and about 16-24 for the 1.2's... he has customer signed letters stating that they are satisfied with the fuel economy... get your car here to Pune and I challenge that you wont go back unhappy... he will teach you HOW TO DRIVE!!! MPFI cars need a disciplined driving.. you cannot floor the pedal whenever wherever u feel like... there are ways to do it.... my buddy also has about 15-20 different samples of adulterated fuel found on customer cars ... he has them stored in bottles on a shelf in his cabin... (also labelled them according to the fuel pump that supplies it) .... well here's an interesting thing to try... this will show you how advanced is the engine management system in the Palio Diesel (With good unadulterated Diesel)... put 5 heavy people in the car... find a steep slope.... roll down all the windows....put the AC to full blast.... engage 1st gear ...do not accelerate... release the clutch completely NOTE:
here u do not accelerate at all... observe what happens and reply back.... very exciting and awesome to try... u will learn the definition of TORQUE....!!! [/font][/color]
Old 31st December 2004, 10:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sajeeth,

If you have a rotten egg smell comming from the exhaust, it usually means -

1. You have a problem with your ignition. (this could be due to electronic malfunction or fouled sparkplugs/wires etc etc)

2. Your fuel pressure regulator is bad (engine might be running too rich)

3. Issues with your catalytic converter (this might be the case because of your freeflow deal)

4. Your engine is overheating

5. Other probs could also cause this, like a mechanical problem etc.

So, it is a fixable problem. You just need to find an intelligent mechanic (oxymoron right there).
First thing i would do would be to ask them to check your fuel pressure regulator. If that doesnt help, then check your ingition system (throwing in a set of new sparkplugs wouldnt hurt either). And then your cat (see if they have an exhaust gas analyzer)
If that STILL doesnt help and it seems like these service center guys are just doing routine checks without targetting the problem.... go to another mechanic.

Let us know if that helps and what the problem is when diagnosed.
cheers
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st December 2004 at 10:36.
Old 31st December 2004, 10:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
[color=Blue][font=Comic Sans MS]I have friend in Pune who is the works manager (Service) for a Fiat dealership here

get your car here to Pune and I challenge that you wont go back unhappy...

my buddy also has about 15-20 different samples of adulterated fuel found on customer cars ... he has them stored in bottles on a shelf in his cabin... (also labelled them according to the fuel pump that supplies it)
[/font][/color]
Hey Moralfibre!

Sounds like you HAVE to get your friend here to be a member of TBHP!! We could definitely use an informed resource like him, (and so could fiat and all the fiat lovers here).

Please do let him know ASAP.
cya
R
Old 31st December 2004, 10:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hey Moralfibre!

Sounds like you HAVE to get your friend here to be a member of TBHP!! We could definitely use an informed resource like him, (and so could fiat and all the fiat lovers here).

Please do let him know ASAP.
cya
R
I agree. You need to get him here ASAP. The very thought of getting b'ween 16-24 kmpl from my Palio 1.2 NV ELX is juicy. The best I managed till date is 12.60, which I still think is pretty good. It usually hovers around the 11 mark for me.
Old 31st December 2004, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Which fiat dealer does he work with in Pune? Jay-Vijay or Ashwmegh?
Old 31st December 2004, 16:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

[font=Comic Sans MS]@Rehaan... he is not an internet freak so getting him to Team BHP is next to impossible... but if u insist I can be a source for ou guys to reach him... he has the feat of attaining more fuel efficiency than the Fiat test driver... he recently got an offer to work for Porsche but he refused and the reason he gave was quite satisfactory... guys I can give u all a word get him any car and he would show u what engineering is all about...

@ RX135 he works for Ashwamegh... if u r from Pune lemme know I shall set up a meet for you with him....

No Fiat customer @ Ashwamegh goes dissappointed once he serves their car... I can go on and on .... its not only Fiat in particular get any car and he can get u all the diagnostics u need to know related to engineering...
Here's one more from him...

I know of people who have sold their cars to buy a Palio once he advised them to do so...!!!

[/font]
Old 31st December 2004, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

can you get some tips from him as to how we can increase fuel efficiency? i just want to prove to whoever asks me that palio is not a fuel guzzler.
Old 31st December 2004, 16:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

There Salil, you are not the only one mate. And you don't even have a free flow exhaust yet.
Old 31st December 2004, 17:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
[font=Comic Sans MS]

@ RX135 he works for Ashwamegh... if u r from Pune lemme know I shall set up a meet for you with him....

No Fiat customer @ Ashwamegh goes dissappointed once he serves their car... I can go on and on .... its not only Fiat in particular get any car and he can get u all the diagnostics u need to know related to engineering...
Here's one more from him...I know of people who have sold their cars to buy a Palio once he advised them to do so...!!!

[/font]
Thanks for your information. I would love to talk with him. I am planning to buy a Petra and I was almost certain that I would talk to Jay Vijay first. Had heard a few good things about them. But this is a new piece of information really.

I am planning to visit the dealers tomorrow. (1st Jan)
Old 31st December 2004, 18:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

He got an offer to work for Porsche?? He gave it up?? What was he smoking?? Sorry to reach conclusions, must respect his decisions. Alright, what was he drinking?? Man sounds like the guy I should meet. Can you setup a meet for me? Pune is only a few hours away.
Old 31st December 2004, 18:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

hey moral dude can u give me his no.
will be to pune in the next couple of weeks (how bout a t-bhp meet there. it seems more probable then in mumbai for me)
i would like to meet him ...
the better FE i get from my palio the better ...
thanx
lambo
Old 31st December 2004, 20:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Ya this guy sounds really interesting. I also have a Palio 1.6. I am quite happy with the mileage so far. It's gives me an overall average of 10.70kmpl with no efforts to improve mileage.More than the mileage thing, i would like to talk about engineering with him. Tell him to get net savy asap!
Old 31st December 2004, 21:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

hey moral,
now this is slightly diificult to accept.a 1ton plus car and that too palio giving such phenomenal FE figures is slightly diificult.
plss tell ur friend to register here ASAP or else why dont u meet him and share with us his secrets.
maybe if a palio can give 20+kpl then a zen n M800 shud give 40+kpl with his style of driving.
so pleaseeeeeeeee do the needful

[i][SIZE=1]PS:Wat abt Sajeeths problem.how do v troubleshoot it.
Dom,Shan,Gto,Revv,.... are u listening[/[/SIZE]I]

Last edited by speedsatya : 31st December 2004 at 21:31.
Old 1st January 2005, 15:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Here you go guys... !!!

[font=Comic Sans MS]Talked to him right now on the phone to seek his permission for passing on his cell number in public... he agreed to it.. his contact number is 00919823217377... you can call him up his name is Sameer... you can refer my name (I already talked to him about team bhp and Palio owners in here)...I am Kiran by the way... he has also agreed to pass his customer signed reports to me with the fuel efficiency they have got from their Palio's and Petra's which include their address and phone numbers where you can call/visit to verify....

@ RX135 he got 23kmpl from the Petra on the highway (Dunno whether it was the Diesel or the Petrol version) ...

@Lamborghini we can surely have T-bhp meet in Pune... I stay about 20 kms from the end of expressway on the highway leading to Bangalore (Its called the Pune - Bangalore bypass) you can email before you come my email address is moralfibre@rediffmail.com

@Ported head .... Consider that Porsche sells around 15-17 cars in India, consider a case where all are sold from Pune... Porsche's have their first service at around 5000 kms/miles (dunnow which) .... consider another situation where you are the owner of a Porsche ... would you drive the car everyday to office/college?? Mebbe you would but people who own such cars prefer to maintain a unique image like what Spiderman does... so 5000 kms/miles wont come in about a year considering extreme situations... so my friend says he would have nothing to do ... this is what he explained... and moreover you talk to him about any sports car and you have all the available model listings, engine configs,their technical aspects thrown at you... so working for the company doesnt play an important part... knowing their engines is important as per him....

@ Speedsatya...not 40 kmpl exactly.... but he would certainly derive a satisfying result (Always better) than what you currently get... here is where differences in engineering come to play... you will get a thesis on this one too... try it out... talk to him... although he is too far technical when he talks you would surely understand what he wants to say...

A request to all you guys... call him up during his office hours i.e 0900 hrs to 1800 hrs... rest of the times... email me.. he stays in the same complex I do...
[color=Lime][color=Blue]And the latest and Greatest news.... Fiat is relaunching Palio 1.6 alongwith the 1.2's and 1.9's in an all new avatar...... this is the latest I have heard from him .... also ... u can refer to December issue of Overdrive ...... News is yet to be confirmed.. mebbe next time when I go with him to Fiat India Ranjangaon I would have a drive of the new beauties... [/color]
[/color]
[/font]

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st January 2005 at 15:56. Reason: Addition

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks