Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 08:42   #1
BHPian

Failing lights and immobilizer in an accent

Hi guys,

Have been facing a strange problem in my accent. On Saturday, I first had a duplicate key made for my Accent GLX from Sreenath Hyundai at Andheri for 1360/-. They programmed it for me too. Same day, I got replaced my ICE with a new player and front speakers.

This Tuesday, the left high beam conked off. Got it replaced. On Wednesday, the right high beam conked off. Replaced the bulb again. Today morning, Thursday, the car would not start. The engine immobilizer light remained off. It took me a couple of tries of removing the original key and reinserting it before the car would start. Considering that the keys are RFID based, I doubt it would be a loose connection.

Has anyone else faced the same problem? Could someone guide me what the issue might be as I plan to go for a long drive soon and do not wish to risk doing it on a car that might not start in the middle of the night or lose its high beam.
Old 20th December 2007, 08:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Looks like your alternator regulator has gone for a toss. Get voltage checked
Old 20th December 2007, 11:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Looks like your alternator regulator has gone for a toss. Get voltage checked
I went to my local mechanic who checked the battery and said that the voltage was normal. He even had me start the car and rev the engine while he was checking the voltage.

The car was fine all these months. Am just trying to understand if the new ICE or the key programming had any part to play in this.
Old 20th December 2007, 12:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing that some wiring is getting short somewhere get the ICE wiring checked
Old 20th December 2007, 12:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Electrical issues after changes to your ICE are usually attributable to the installation itself. I have had the same experience.
Old 20th December 2007, 13:06   #6
BHPian

if it was me, i would first not have done 2 changes together on the same day,... typical practices of engineering maintenance specified by CMM 5

but since it is done, please isolate all that is new in your ICE wiring and equipment. see if the rest of the car works fine.

i would have also pointed to the alternator regulator like tsk, but since the voltage remains the same after starting and revving the car, you can rule it out.

my doubt will be a shortcircuit in your ICE wiring, that might be indirectly affecting the HU screen's auto-dimming lead, that will be one of the leads that connect to the harness of the HU. this is the only link i see between the head-lights blowing out and the ICE being changed.

hope you resolve it soon and immediately. dont take chances in with electrical short-circuits.

Last edited by gbpscars : 20th December 2007 at 13:07.
Old 20th December 2007, 14:12   #7
BHPian

Is it ok if I try locating the short myself? I was present when the guy installed the HU. Doubt there would be much rocket science in pulling it out and searching for any exposed leads.

But would this be in anyway connected to the erratic behavior of the engine immobilizer? The thought of the engine dying out in traffic and the car not starting again is scary.
Old 20th December 2007, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Sometimes you can reset the immobilizer problem by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks