Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 07:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbelly View Post
RNS MOTORS, HOSUR ROAD, Nearly took me for a ride!!
Left my Ritz VDI for 20000Kms 4th paid service. The Dealer billed me for performing D/E (Explained to me as Decarbonising Engine) for an additional labour amount of Rs.1750/- plus Tax. On questioning the nature of work carried out by D/E, i got vague repies viz - head decarbonising, turbo and exhaust manifold opening and decarbonising - etc. At 20000Kms , with no performance complaints by the user, i suspected i was being taken for a ride. When i told the service advisor that this amount would be paid by me only after consulting Maruti Company personnel , after half an hour, the bill was recast without D /E, for Rs.2000/- less, and the Car delivered to me.
As a Maruti owner, I am pained that a reputed dealer like RNS motors has actually instructed their personnel to overcharge their customers for fictitous and unecessary work claimed to be carried out.
Being in the Diesel Generator service field myself, I was able to question the nature of D/E and escape being cheated!!! What about your average customer????
Please correct me if i am wrong, but i fail to see how a 20000kms old DDIS engine needs a decarbonisation, and the vehicle was ready in 6 hours flat with all the oil changes / filters changes / car washing / and D/E carried out?? Also if the engine was opened, for what reason?, and how was it refitted without head gaskets, other manifold gaskets being changed???
Decarbonising is not needed for new vehicles. Customers fare being taken for a ride.

Some time back my Maruthi-800 (1987) had a oil burning issue. One of the cylinder used to burn oil and misfire. I used to clean the plug and the issue will be solved, but will re-appear after every 300 Kms. I took the vehicle to RNS Motors , Peeniya. The adviced me to change the Engine Block as the pistons and the cylinder was reported as worn out. (car had run for about 40000 Kms.) which was costing Rs.10,000/00+ ( Total expense was quoted at Approx. Rs.19000/00.).

I took the car to another Authorisied Service Centre where they solved the problem by replacing the inlet valve oil seal of that particular cylinder. Total cost was less than Rs.300/00. The car has run 1 lakh Kms without the problem re-appearing.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:14   #17
BHPian

@dieselbelly, I think you should forthwith escalate the matter to Maruti. They will definitely question RNS and this will act as a deterrent for them to repeat such nefarious acts on other gullible Maruti owners.
Old 15th September 2010, 04:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
I drive a M800 - 1996 model.

Had replaced the battery with a new one some months back. A month back, the 'battery' light on the dash started glowing (on the move as well) and the battery was not getting charged.

Took the car to RNS Motors on Hosur road who inspected and told me that the alternator was to be overhauled. They did it and changed 3 parts in the alternator (some regulator, brush etc). The total bill came to 1900+.
You have been taken for a ride. They might have only replaced the brushes. Bad repair work.

I had exactly the same problem with my Maruthi-800 (1987) a couple of months back. Last week I took the car to my friends service centre and they replaced the "Control Controller/Brush holder assembly" and skimmed the commutator on a lathe, which rectified the problem.

Total cost = Rs.1474-00

Controller/Brush Holder = Rs.1049-00
Lathe Work = Rs. 75-00
Labour Charges = Rs. 350-00

My original PMP alternator was replaced with a Lucas-TVS alternator, long time back due to scarcity of parts.
Old 18th May 2017, 15:43   #19
BHPian

Re: Alternator problem in M800

I am having a similar issue in my Maruti 800 DX. The battery light gets lit for a few minutes and disappears. Took the car to MASS and they told that 2 cells in my battery were gone. replaced the battery, expecting the issue to be solved. but the battery light again comes on when using the blower(didn't drive it at night). I checked the battery voltage.it read around 12 volts and with the car on it was reading about 13.5 volts. shouldn't it be around 14 volts?

What are the chances that the alternator is working, but producing less that its supposed to be? Will an alternator stop working for a few minutes and then continue with its business?
Feels like there is no using taking the car to MASS. going to take it somewhere else.I am going to get the car checked soon, but would like to hear what you guys have to say on this.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2017 at 22:47.
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
I checked the battery voltage.it read around 12 volts and with the car on it was reading about 13.5 volts. shouldn't it be around 14 volts?
13.5V is fine at idle RPM but with a fully charged battery. The battery should read about 12.6 V when it is fully charged, with the engine off. Take this reading in the morning before you set off for the day or after the car has been switched off for 8-12 hours.

Quote:
what are the chances that the alternator is working, but producing less that its supposed to be? Will an alternator stop working for a few minutes and then continue with its business?
The alternator's voltage regulator probably out of whack when under load. I'd suggest you take the car to a Lucas or Bosch service centre in your town and have them test the alternator for correct operation.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th May 2017 at 18:06.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 20:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery light gets lit for a few minutes and disappears.
Could you expand on this please?
Old 18th May 2017, 20:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
13.5V is fine at idle RPM but with a fully charged battery. The battery should read about 12.6 V when it is fully charged, with the engine off. Take this reading in the morning before you set off for the day or after the car has been switched off for 8-12 hours.
yes. i did get a reading around 12.6 V with the engine off.

Quote:
The alternator's voltage regulator probably out of whack when under load. I'd suggest you take the car to a Lucas or Bosch service centre in your town and have them test the alternator for correct operation.
I'll do that. Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Could you expand on this please?
okay
When starting the car there is no trouble. no warning lights. but after a few kilometers (you don't know when its gonna show up) the battery warning light lights up. It usually disappears in 3-4 minutes. just like that!

one more thing i have to add is that , along with the batter warning light, the brake fluid warning light also lights up. I find that very unusual because i recently gave the car for service. they checked the brake fluid and there is nothing wrong there.

thoughts?

P.S:- I am a newbie not only on team-bhp, but on owning and maintaining a car as well.
Old 18th May 2017, 21:04   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am having a similar issue in my Maruti 800 DX. The battery light gets lit for a few minutes and disappears. Took the car to MASS and they told that 2 cells in my battery were gone. replaced the battery, expecting the issue to be solved. but the battery light again comes on when using the blower(didn't drive it at night).
I checked the battery voltage.it read around 12 volts and with the car on it was reading about 13.5 volts. shouldn't it be around 14 volts?
what are the chances that the alternator is working, but producing less that its supposed to be? Will an alternator stop working for a few minutes and then continue with its business?
Feels like there is no using taking the car to MASS. going to take it somewhere else.I am going to get the car checked soon, but would like to hear what you guys have to say on this.
I had this issue in my 2000 M800 DX 5 Speed, where no matter what the condition of the battery is, the charging voltage would never go beyond 13.5V or so. In other 800s with healthy alternators, at full throttle, the voltage used to go to 14.4V. This probably also caused a sudden failure of my battery.

Late Behram Dhabar sir guided me to check some couplers. While I didn't find any corrosion, I cleaned all the terminals, and applied electrical grease before connecting them. Weirdly enough, the charging voltage went to 14.4V in my car after that.

This also solved the weak sounding horn and shuddering wiper issue in my car. Now I have a habit of applying the electrical grease at all the terminals(HL, bulbs etc). Earlier I had connection issues where indicator bulbs used to stop working after sometime, and needed to open the assembly and clean the terminals using sandpaper. No such issues after using the grease.

Entire ordeal documented here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3993074

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 22:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Late Behram Dhabar sir guided me to check some couplers. While I didn't find any corrosion, I cleaned all the terminals, and applied electrical grease before connecting them. Weirdly enough, the charging voltage went to 14.4V in my car after that.
You have a good point there, Shashi. The alternator B+ terminal connector and and the +ve battery clamp should be checked for corrosion and loose connections.

BTW, where did you buy dielectric grease from? I am looking for a small tube/container of this grease to use on my car's primary electrical connectors including the alternator output, battery clamps & earthing points.

PS - Thanks for the link to the post in the GG thread. Mr Dhabar was a gem with amazing insights and knowledge. He's sorely missed.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th May 2017 at 22:35. Reason: Added PS
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 22:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I had this issue in my 2000 M800 DX 5 Speed, where no matter what the condition of the battery is, the charging voltage would never go beyond 13.5V or so. In other 800s with healthy alternators, at full throttle, the voltage used to go to 14.4V. This probably also caused a sudden failure of my battery.
I think this is exactly what happened to me. because my old battery was an amaron which was still in its 4 year warranty period. 2 cells were damaged.

I'll look into this tomorrow. thanks Sir

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2017 at 22:48.
Old 18th May 2017, 22:36   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have a good point there, Shashi. The alternator B+ terminal connector and and the +ve battery clamp should be for corrosion and loose connections.

BTW, where did you buy dielectric grease from? I am looking for a small tube/container of this grease to use on my car's primary electrical connectors including the alternator output, battery clamps & earthing points.
I bought the grease from Amazon.in, seller: Cloudtail. It retails for around 50 rupees/sachet. I checked it just now, it is out of stock.

Link: http://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-3139-Battery-Grease/dp/B00295IKCY

Alternator problem in M800-20170121_195234.jpg

Quote:
PS - Thanks for the link to the post in the GG thread. Mr Dhabar was a gem with amazing insights and knowledge. He's sorely missed.
Indeed. We used to have many fruitful discussions, both on forum and offline. He was young at heart, so I always felt right at home while pestering him with my queries.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 18th May 2017 at 22:39.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 20:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
okay
When starting the car there is no trouble. no warning lights. but after a few kilometers (you don't know when its gonna show up) the battery warning light lights up. It usually disappears in 3-4 minutes. just like that!

one more thing i have to add is that , along with the batter warning light, the brake fluid warning light also lights up. I find that very unusual because i recently gave the car for service. they checked the brake fluid and there is nothing wrong there.

thoughts?
Assuming that 'battery warning light lights up' means full fledged on, rather than a faint glow which varies in brightness, then it points to an intermittent internal fault in the alternator. Most probably intermittent connection in AVR, or a brush problem.

There might be other problems (I am yet to see an old Maruti with perfect electrical connection between alternator and battery), but these will be secondary.

One other thought: see if you can get a good analog voltmeter for voltage measurement. With engine running, I would not trust the cheap digital ones.

Don't worry about the brake warning light coming on along with the alternator warning light.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 21:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Assuming that 'battery warning light lights up' means full fledged on, rather than a faint glow which varies in brightness, then it points to an intermittent internal fault in the alternator. Most probably intermittent connection in AVR, or a brush problem.

There might be other problems (I am yet to see an old Maruti with perfect electrical connection between alternator and battery), but these will be secondary.

One other thought: see if you can get a good analog voltmeter for voltage measurement. With engine running, I would not trust the cheap digital ones.

Don't worry about the brake warning light coming on along with the alternator warning light.

Regards
Sutripta
thanks sir

I can confirm that the battery light faints at higher RPM's.

I did check the voltage with a good voltmeter(read expensive).

Going to check the car checked and will update soon.
Old 19th May 2017, 22:52   #29
eko
BHPian

Quote:
The battery light gets lit for a few minutes
I have observed wire failure in newer Marutis. The wire gets oxidized inside the insulation leading to loose contact or no contact. This normally happens when parked for longer periods.
eko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 23:05   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko View Post
I have observed wire failure in newer Marutis. The wire gets oxidized inside the insulation leading to loose contact or no contact. This normally happens when parked for longer periods.
+1.

For the very same reason I have been using electrical grease in the connectors and couplers, and haven't faced such issues lately.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 19th May 2017 at 23:06.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed