Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 16:23   #1
BHPian

Alternator problem in M800

I drive a M800 - 1996 model.

Had replaced the battery with a new one some months back. A month back, the 'battery' light on the dash started glowing (on the move as well) and the battery was not getting charged.

Took the car to RNS Motors on Hosur road who inspected and told me that the alternator was to be overhauled. They did it and changed 3 parts in the alternator (some regulator, brush etc). The total bill came to 1900+.

Now, when I do start the car, the battery light remains ON for about 200 metres, and then it goes off (i.e. the alternator starts working only then). Proof: At night, when the headlight is switched ON as I start moving, it is a tad dim and after about 200 metres when the 'battery' light on the dash disappears, the head light becomes brighter. That means that the alternator actually starts working only after about 200 metres.

What could be the problem now? Pls let me know if anyone of you faced the same problem

Thanks
Old 20th December 2007, 16:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the job was not done properly, this should not happen.
Take your car back and ask them to fix the problem. Looks like the regulator still has issues
Old 20th December 2007, 18:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

yup get it fixed through RNS itself, it is a bad job and problem is with alternator itself
Old 20th December 2007, 18:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

1900 bucks to overhaul an alternator and a new alternator costs 2500.U should have gone for that.
Anway go to RNS and ask them to check the output voltage of the alternator.If its fine than check the alternator belt.
Old 20th December 2007, 18:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
1900 bucks to overhaul an alternator and a new alternator costs 2500.
Exactly my thoughts. You would have been better off buying a new one.
Old 27th December 2007, 13:32   #6
BHPian

Thanks for your replies. They told me that the new alternator costs Rs. 4000!
I feel that I have been taken for a ride!
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:43   #7
BHPian

Took the vehicle to RNS motors last Sat and guess what? The problem was not repeatable any more!

They however did some checks and told me that a delay in the start of alternator is not a 'big issue'.. I got pissed off by that stmnt. Anyways it has not come up again.

Thanks to everyone. Mods please close this thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 22:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
Thanks for your replies. They told me that the new alternator costs Rs. 4000!
I feel that I have been taken for a ride!
Took the vehicle to RNS motors last Sat and guess what? The problem was not repeatable any more!

They however did some checks and told me that a delay in the start of alternator is not a 'big issue'.. I got pissed off by that stmnt. Anyways it has not come up again.

Thanks to everyone. Mods please close this thread
Took u for a ride in both the terms.A new 800 alternator costs 2500 bucks.
And an alternator starts as soon as the car starts and the light should go off as soon as the car is started.
Old 11th January 2008, 18:57   #9
BHPian

The problem has resurfaced. Not sure what exactly the problem is.. It is there at times, and not always. I am sure it will disappear the moment the car enters RNS motors.
Upon 'interrogation', their explanation was, Rs 2500 plus tax plus labour would have cost me 3250 or so, and they added a margin of safety to quote the expense of replacing the alternator as Rs 4000!

One thing is for sure, unless I break down directly in front of RNS motors, I will not go there again!
Old 11th January 2008, 19:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Face them

Quote:
One thing is for sure, unless I break down directly in front of RNS motors, I will not go there again!
Humyum: [Anway go to RNS and ask them to check the output voltage of the alternator.If its fine than check the alternator belt.]

You can be assertive without being rude or confrontational. Please do not back down from these people. Think of the next guy that will have to deal with them. Follow Humyum's suggestion either at RNS or somewhere else and then make them fix it, as they should.
Old 12th January 2008, 00:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem has resurfaced. Not sure what exactly the problem is.. It is there at times, and not always. I am sure it will disappear the moment the car enters RNS motors.
Upon 'interrogation', their explanation was, Rs 2500 plus tax plus labour would have cost me 3250 or so, and they added a margin of safety to quote the expense of replacing the alternator as Rs 4000!

Bhai mere alternator light or no alternator light get the output voltage checked atleast.Who knows it might just be an earthing issue/faulty alternator light.U might end up replacing the alternator and the problem still not getting solved at all.
Check the output voltage if that is fine u dont have anything to worry about.
Old 15th January 2008, 10:07   #12
BANNED

The alternator on a maruti is normally lucas -tvs make . There are duplicate lucas -tvs parts avaliable in the market. A lucas rectifier costs around 400-500 rs whereas a duplicate might cost just 75 rs . Your alternator might have been fitted with a duplicate rectifier ,cutoff . If the cut-off does not work properly then this happens. Your alternator needs a higher RPM to start generating voltage and when the alternator starts to generate voltage only then will the light on the dash board get cutoff .

You could go to a LUCAS authorised service centre and ask then to inspect the alternator . IF they think duplicate parts have been used on your car , you could write to maruti .
Old 15th January 2008, 16:53   #13
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses.
@humyum yes RNS did check the output voltage and said that everything was fine. Please note that there has been no starting trouble, even in mornings after a late night drive with headlights and blower ON.

I figured out yesterday that the light goes off if I rev the accelerator even if immediately after starting the car. After that it doesn't appear until I stop and start again! Usually I don't rev the engine immediately after the start and that's why the light used to be ON for sometime since I would start off slowly.
Please note that the indicator light is correctly ON, since I have noticed at night, that when the indicator light goes off, the head light becomes brighter.
@greatmana2000 - you are scaring me... I always take the car to authorised service centres since I believe they stock SGP/MGP only!

I have now learnt to live with the problem.. Rev the engine after about a minute from the start!
Old 15th January 2008, 20:34   #14
BANNED

Hey Jeep, There seems to be no problem as of now with your alternator,

But not always are Authorised service centre guys do a great job on your car,

I've had Problems with my new Safari Braking, Manipal did nothing on it, My local Maruti mech solved my Safari braking problem.

Yes its a good habit to go to a MASS but you are a small fish in their big ocean my friend.

You need to keep your options open.

Happy driving for now.,
Old 18th January 2008, 17:16   #15
BANNED

Well,there was a dealer at chennai called UNIPRO . Maruti closed down the dealership because they were using parts other than that recommeneded by maruti

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks