Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 18:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Warm her up for 2-3 minutes at idle ,every start.It'll minimise wear & tear very much, ranjit!
That way he ll be wastin more fuel in warmin her up than actually communting to office
Old 21st December 2007, 19:14   #17
BHPian

Idling for a couple of minutes and some good distance over weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
What is the minimum driving distance? means ......
My office is shifted to very to close to my home which is 1km each way. Is the battery charging required any minimum distance driving is required?
That had been the case for almost for 2.5 yrs to me. I had to replace alternator unit once, it was possibly not because of short commutes.

I suggest covering good distance over weekends. Expect a very low FE. I used get as low as 8 KMPL in my Petra with occasional other city drives.
Old 22nd December 2007, 00:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mine used to be 8kms, now reduced to 4.
But sometimes there are jams and the commute can take half an hour. Other times I take a roundabout route that makes it 13km.

Eitherway, I idle for about 3 minutes before starting, so temperature is taken care of.
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well i do a lot of 1KM trips. From home to market and back. Why i don't prefer walking is because its way too cold here now days. Plus if i have to go to that market its always for something urgent.

Quote:
min distance/duration is when your temp gauge reached halfway mark..
Daily i travel around 6 KM in the morning and idle car for 1 min (most of the time) but by the time i reach the place the gauge is either still just above C or between C and Half Mark. Its very rare it gets to see the Half Mark.

The above is mentioned regarding MPFi cars i drive. Where as my M800 carb unless driven for 10km+ in the morning wont warm up. Plus its due for service after 500 KM and i have been observing that car struggles when cold refuses to go beyond certain low speeds.
Old 22nd December 2007, 02:49   #20
BHPian

wow OT since there is a discussion of office distances...dad has a long walk to work...he has to cross the road
Well as somebody mentioned earlier, warm up the car by idleing, and enjoy the drive, keep an eye on the engine oil
Old 22nd December 2007, 09:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
What is the minimum driving distance? means ......
My office is shifted to very to close to my home which is 1km each way. Is the battery charging required any minimum distance driving is required?
Simple take a longer route to office! Or when you drive out of your garage go in the opposite direction to your office, cover couple of kilometers, take a turn and get to your office.

I wouldn't worry much about battery charging, but it's a good practice that once you start the engine bring it to operating temperatures and maintain it for some time before you turn off the vehicle.
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:30   #22
BHPian

Man you can have hot homemade breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and tea too. I travel 50 kms and 2 and half hours(by bike) and 4 hours ( by car). Your lucky man.
Old 22nd December 2007, 20:45   #23
BHPian

not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Daily i travel around 6 KM in the morning and idle car for 1 min (most of the time) but by the time i reach the place the gauge is either still just above C or between C and Half Mark. Its very rare it gets to see the Half Mark.

I am not sure about the necessity for temp gauge to reach halfway mark. During winter even after 10-12 KMs of commute (45 mins some times) I see the temp gauge below quarter mark. May be it means the gauge should reach halfway mark at least once, I never tried to figureout.
Old 15th February 2008, 23:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
my 800 is fitted with a AC delco battery,i use it just on weekends.Rest of the week it sit's idle.I don't bother to start it because the battery's pretty strong.I avarage just 10-20 kms a week at most.If your alternator & battery are in good condition you don't really have to worry about how much km u drive.And oh yes if you have stuff like a alarm system then you better start the car atleast every alternate day to be on the safe side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks