Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2007, 14:22   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Performance clutches for the baleno. Which one?

A very close friend of mine from my hometown is plonking my engine into his zen. The only problem being my car has been parked for the last month or more since I have a burnt clutch and I am finding it extremely hard to find a good aftermarket clutch that can hold up on the engine after TCing as well.

The only options I have found so far are:

1. Exedy - Haven't heard great reviews about them. And after using their stage 1 (or was it 2?) clutch which lasted only for 9k kms inspite of being treated very well I was not impressed. Don't want to go down that lane again.

So my eyes fell upon these. Would like to know what the experts would recommend amongst the 4 clutches I am going to post below. Streetability is not an issue.

So here are the choices:

1. ACT - Two clutches which can be seen in the link provided below.

ACT Product Search | Products ~ Advanced Clutch Technology®

Which of the two clutches would be better in terms of tranferring optimum power.?

2. I also fell upon another person who makes custom clutches for almost all makes and when he showed me this my eyes lit up. The clutch looks out of this world and is a dual friction organic clutch.

More info on the clutch.

Input Spline Quantity: 18 Input Shaft Diameter (in): 0.750 in. Disc Diameter (in): 7.500 in. Disc Diameter (mm): 191mm Disc Material: Organic Disc Style: Sprung hub Pressure Plate Style: Diaphragm Throwout Bearing Included: No Alignment Tool Included: No Pilot Bushing Included: No Flywheel Included: No Counterweight Assist: Yes Mounting Hardware Included: No Quantity: Sold as a kit. Clutch Kit, Organic, 3/4 in. Diameter Shaft, 18-Spline, 7.5 in. Diameter Disc

Thirty percent more holding capacity than stock clutches.
The clutch is designed as a high-quality entry-level performance clutch for those in need of a superior stock replacement. Using the patented centrifugal weights (where applicable) and premium friction materials, the Stage 1 clutch system is perfect for applications with stock engines or mild power increases from minor bolt-on modifications.

Another clutch from the same manufacturer.

Input Spline Quantity: 18 Input Shaft Diameter (in): 0.750 in. Disc Diameter (in): 7.500 in. Disc Diameter (mm): 191mm Disc Material: Organic Disc Style: Sprung hub Pressure Plate Style: Diaphragm Throwout Bearing Included: No Alignment Tool Included: No Pilot Bushing Included: No Flywheel Included: No Counterweight Assist: Yes Mounting Hardware Included: No Quantity: Sold as a kit. Clutch Kit, Organic, 3/4 in. Diameter Shaft, 18-Spline, 7.5 in. Diameter Disc.

The clutch that is up to 90 percent better than stock.
Dual Friction clutches generate up to a 90 percent increase in holding capacity over stock systems. These clutch-and-disc sets are designed for engines producing high horsepower and big torque outputs. Perfect for 4WD vehicles, all Centerforce clutch systems provide smooth engagement and light pedal pressure, without compromising high performance.

Now my question is which of the 4 clutches will best suit a G16B that might get TCed into a zen? Request the experts to fire away or ask any doubt pertaining to the clutches and I will try to get more info on them.

PS: Unless I can source a good clutch this project cannot go any further. So need your assistance.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 23rd December 2007 at 14:25.
Old 10th January 2008, 20:48   #2
BHPian

the above list looks good.. iam sure theres long list of better clutch then OEM in market.

dont know much about clutchs .. but the custom clutch looks alright. .. not sure if it will last longer.

i came across this as iam also looking for clutch for esteem 2002
Old 21st March 2008, 19:32   #3
BHPian

The Exedy Stg 1 feels softer (weaker) than the stock. This was my exp whn I had used it in TC'd D15B.
Either go with ACT or Exedy stg 2. Though I feel that the ACT stg 2 might be a li'l hard on your leg for B'lore traffic.
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:10   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilvr View Post
The Exedy Stg 1 feels softer (weaker) than the stock. This was my exp whn I had used it in TC'd D15B.
Either go with ACT or Exedy stg 2. Though I feel that the ACT stg 2 might be a li'l hard on your leg for B'lore traffic.
Is it your engine bay in the profile pic?? Care to start a new thread on ur ride then? Many people would surely be interested...
Old 22nd March 2008, 01:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I didnt feel the exedy to be that far out but yes i agree it would be better to with a stage 2 for a turbo. but you could still bend the leaves on the stage one to run it easily for a daily drive with a turbo.

Most Viewed