Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 20:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Insurance claim for broken windshield

The m800 windscreen is an exact match to the original .I checked the markings and the are standard for all windshields . The glass was Asahi Lamisafe with a green tint and had the exact same markings as my older windshield . W.E. Mahim Mumbai .
Old 2nd October 2011, 04:53   #32
BHPian

My wagonr(old model)'s rear windshield has been smashed by somebody with a stone.

Are Windshield Experts available on Sunday morning (Bangalore) for fixing it? Also, any feedback on what should be checked after the fixing?
Old 2nd October 2011, 23:57   #33
BHPian

To my best knowledge windshield experts at least in mahim mumbai work mon to sat .
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Are Windshield Experts available on Sunday morning (Bangalore) for fixing it? Also, any feedback on what should be checked after the fixing?
Mainly water leakage - Check it without fail to avoid surprises later.

Good luck.
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:48   #35
BHPian

Bumping the thread with my query & seeking help from all experts here --

There is a huge crack, about 6" x 6" on the driver side of 2005 Scorpio windscreen. I contacted WE & the Service Station. The cost quoted by the two is Rs. 7200 & Rs. 8000 resp.

I am in a dilemma to claim insurance or not as -

1. I have never claimed insurance on my 6 years ownership of Scorpio, which means that my NCB is at all time high @ 50%.
2. Insurance renewal is due in March
3. I plan to sell the car sometime later this year, & wish to transfer the insurance to the new car, thereby transferring the NCB, if available.

Please suggest what the best route.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
...I plan to sell the car sometime later this year, & wish to transfer the insurance to the new car, thereby transferring the NCB, if available.

Please suggest what the best route.
You can follow a dedicated thread created by an Auto Insurance Expert member in the forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sk-me-106.html
Old 12th June 2016, 16:25   #37
BHPian

Change the windshield? Insurance or Payment Upfront?

Hi All,

Need serious advice on the following.
There was some residue on my windshield and so, was trying my best to remove it with colin glass cleaner. It was not coming out and that patch always caused a problem.
Tried my best with other cleaning material to no use. Finally, took an old scotch brite and tried rubbing it gently. As a result, the patch is become whitish and now is even worse.

I have a 50% NCB on my insurance (Have not claimed insurance in the last 7 years, once 7 years ago when my mom hit the rear bumper)
The plan is to sell the Swift Dzire Zxi 2008 this year and buy the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha.
Also, would need to probably change the compressor since there seems to be some noise and that maybe have to be done before giving the car away.

I earlier wanted to transfer my NCB to the new car. Need to know, what is the best option? Claim the insurance? Pay for the windshield myself?
What would make most sense? As of now, I'm thinking to claim it under insurance. Please advice, many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance claim for broken windshield-img_2510.jpg  

Insurance claim for broken windshield-img_2512.jpg  

Insurance claim for broken windshield-img_2515.jpg  

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 12th June 2016 at 16:50. Reason: added another point of compressor to be changed
Old 12th June 2016, 16:29   #38
BANNED

Re: Change the windshield? Insurance or Payment Upfront?

By and large the windshield is not worth the loss of NCB! So check carefully.
Old 12th June 2016, 16:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

I don't think insurance will cover this. This was a patch made worse by rubbing, there's no accident involved here. Even if covered by insurance, I think it will be cheaper to pay for it yourself and transfer the NCB to the new car.

Try to find out if this can be repaired instead of a full replacement, although looking at those scratches repair looks unlikely.
Old 12th June 2016, 16:44   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
The plan is to sell the Swift Dzire Zxi 2008 this year and buy the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha.

I earlier wanted to transfer my NCB to the new car. Need to know, what is the best option? Claim the insurance? Pay for the windshield myself?
I had a similar situation in an earlier car with 50% NCB and I had opted to pay for the windshield myself.

The calculations are a no-brainer. Assuming that the OEM windshield replacement is going to cost you about 8 to 10 K max (would cost lesser with third party vendors). You're going to straight away getting this money back via the NCB transfer to your new car.

Based on your past record of being able to gather and maintain 50% NCB (the max allowed), it is more probable that you would be able to continue to retain the same on your newer car and chances of saving about 8 to 10K per year on premium payment (with 50% NCB) always exists.
Unless the repairs are going to be greater than 15K (for a typical C2 segment car), you stand to lose more via the insurance route (if you have an NCB of 50%)

PS: Are you pretty sure that those scratches can't be removed/minimized by a professional? Its worth checking with windshield experts or other vendors. You might be able to avoid going for replacement altogether.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 12th June 2016 at 16:55.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 16:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
PS: Are you pretty sure that those scratches can't be removed/minimized by a professional? Its worth checking with windshield experts or other vendors. You might be able to avoid going for replacement altogether.
Not too sure, have not checked, this happened a few hours ago itself.
I also have to get the AC compressor et al replaced, wondering what would be the best route. MASS says they will "do the needful" and claim under insurance
Old 12th June 2016, 17:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

There is no point loosing 50% of NCB over a windshield, Specially when we can't be sure if the insurance company will approve the claim since it has not happened by an accident, Simply save time and money (By saving NCB) and get it changed by paying up front, Thats my advice.
Old 12th June 2016, 18:57   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

You should've gone to windshield experts in the first place. However, you can still try that option. If they can't work on it, replace it without claiming insurance.

Even though insurance gives 100% value of the glass and you will only have to pay for the sealants and claim charges, I think paying from hand will work out cheaper. Get quotes from the company and do the math yourself.
Old 12th June 2016, 19:07   #44
BHPian

First thing you should do it visit a professional and see if they can restore the windshield to near original condition or not. If it is not possible for them to rectify the scratches then you should get the glass replaced from MASS with cash. Even i had my cracked windshield of Hyundai i20 changed at A.S.S. The service advisor tried his best to persuade me for a insurance claim but i denied and paid approx 6500/-
Old 12th June 2016, 19:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Calculate the costs and then decide.

1. Get an estimate for replacing the glass and compressor from MASS. Also ask them the amount that you will have to bear.

2. Get the cost of insurance for the new S-cross from the latest price list. Calculate how much you would save if you had 50% NCB.

Now whichever saves you more money, go that route.

You might have to factor in Free Insurance offers, if any, on the new car. Also 50% NCB will continue to benefit you during every renewal (if I'm not mistaken).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks