Team-BHP - Perplexed with camber readings
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Perplexed with camber readings (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/33752-perplexed-camber-readings.html)

I did check my alignment before doing a long trip. Then the camber was -47 in left and - 48 right. There was a free check up offered before 1500 kms or 3 months whichever comes earlier. After doing 1500 kms (went to kollur) i did check it again after 4 days. Though it was from the same centre , in a different unit. The camber readings were -55 in left and -20 in right. The technician doing the job told it was ok. But he insisted i consult with technicians from fiat. After making it to dealer in tvpm they told nothing can be done as there is no provision provided by the manufacturer.

In the meanwhile i contacted technicians in kochi, they informed me that the current readings as such is ok and wont result in any trouble.

But i wish to know what is the remedy if it deteriorates . Could this be an indication of suspension problems, if so how we can ensure that it is properly treated by the service people, as each time you will have take back to alignment centre.

What is the unit of measurement? Were you in the car when the reading were taken?

I also had the same problem with my Santro and the readings were -47 on the left and -15 on the right. I got the alignment done since the vehicle was dragging to the left from a alignment center with a tyre dealer at Mysore. The technician informed me to speak to the *** and in turn i spoke to the *** guys. Initially they dismissed saying the allignment machine where the allignment was done had a error. I asked the *** guys to rectify the proble. In turn they had a readymade answer "Our allignment technician is on leave". I informed them casually that i would write to the company with the proof and after that he took the vehicle for servicing and he said he will et it done from a different tyre dealer with the cost borne by the dealer since my vehicle was under extended warranty. I was infromed that he got some spare replaced ( i forgot he name) and got the allignment done. The readings were within the tolerance zone. I took the delivery of the vehicle and got the allignment checked by a different service station and the readings were the same as the one provided by the ***.
Please speak to the service manager if the readings are not within the tolerance range and if the vehicle is within the warranty or extended warranty.
P.S I did not pay a single re to get the work done by the ***.

Well, I was told during an alignment recently that camber would be adjusted only if it was greater than 1 deg & caster is factory setting so wont be touched.

This is for a Fiesta.

From your posts, it seems that the car is a FIAT PALIO. If so, Michael Schume (my son's college friend Varun from Mumbai) has a new Palio which I just happened to glance at and I told him that the toe setting is incorrect (I could see it, there was no need to measure). He got it corrected under my guidance. Please give me full details, let's see if I can help you as well.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 675581)
From your posts, it seems that the car is a FIAT PALIO. If so, Michael Schume (my son's college friend Varun from Mumbai) has a new Palio which I just happened to glance at and I told him that the toe setting is incorrect (I could see it, there was no need to measure). He got it corrected under my guidance. Please give me full details, let's see if I can help you as well.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

swathyd has a Fiat ADVENTURE.

Well, I understand that the alignment guys just concentrate on the 'steer ahead' value and bring it to '0'. These are my previous readings

@5K km
Camber Readings
Left Front -45' Right Front -24'

@10K km
Camber Readings
Left Front -38' Right Front -34'

I think the castor is fixed for the FIATs. But the castor readings were different on the two occations. I too have been having second thoughts on alignments unless you really feel something is wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 675731)
swathyd has a Fiat ADVENTURE.

I dont think that would make much difference since the front under pinnings for both cars are similar. Only the readings might defer coz of different stance.

@DHABHAR: Would be great if you can share your trick at doing the wheel alignment.

I suspect one more reason for this kind of change owing the later done on a different machine. What you people think about this theory ? ( propounded by a technician at kochi). Is it possible to rectify it as these things have to be very precise and moreover are our technicians competent to do these kind of jobs ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swathyd (Post 676809)
I suspect one more reason for this kind of change owing the later done on a different machine. What you people think about this theory ? ( propounded by a technician at kochi). Is it possible to rectify it as these things have to be very precise and moreover are our

can be possible if the machines are calibrated differently and the tech used is different.

Ideally stick to same shop and machine for consistent readings, the new age laser ones are pretty good.

The one that swathy is talking about is a laser one. I've also used the same one. in my case the machines used were the same ones too. Still the Castor readings were different on different occations. Not sure what these people are upto.

Swathy: ANother thing that i think is that the Adventure and the Weekender must have different setup. I'm not sure if any of these shops have the Software for the Adventure. They simply use the weekender software to get the tolerance range.

I got my last alignment done at kulathunkal and they had the Software for Adventure.

Thanks for the info gemi, will try to get it done at kulathunkal next time.

I got my tyres rotated after 10,000 kms. The front right had uneven wear ( inner) and i was asked by the tyre men to get it fixed by the dealership. So inorder to verify whether there is any problem with the camber rating i put my spare tyre in front right. After 500 kms i noticed an uneven wear in inner side. So i took it to dealer , from where i got to know there is a noticeable difference in camber rating exceeding 1 deg. Now they are planning to fix it by putting a shim. And though it is under warranty they are charging rs 600 for it.