Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2008, 10:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday evening i checked with the GM Service People about the throttle cleaning, injector cleaning, engine flushing, fuel pipes cleaning, as my car has clocked 57K and knocking my mind for 60K service.

They quoted:
Throttle Cleaning - 550/-
Injector Cleaning - 450/-
Engine Flushing - 1850/- (includes Throttle cleaning, Carbon Cleaning, Injector cleaning, Engine flushing, Fuel line cleaning)

All the cleaning processes will be taken care by specialized machines rather then using mere liquids and fast cleaners.

I am rather confused of getting only throttle and injectors cleaned or get the engine flushing along with other cleanings, any suggestions ?

Last edited by ashthedivx : 15th February 2008 at 10:53.
Old 15th February 2008, 15:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys.

Will get it done during the next service.
Old 15th February 2008, 21:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a thread which explains what extra needs to be done and when for a car other than the normal service?

Like I came to know about the frequency and method of Throttle Body and Injector Cleaning from this thread.

It would be very helpful.
Old 15th February 2008, 21:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

one step further to say that check, clean and adjust spark plug gaps

Viper
sort off ot but,is it true that if you remove sparkplugs and clean them/set gap or replace sparkplugs,engine check light will come on ?
Old 15th February 2008, 23:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Some Extras that have to be done and not covered under normal servicing are as follows:
1.Injector cleaning. - 550 rs
2.Fuel Injection Pump servicing. - 600 rs
3.Fuel Pump cleaning.-600rs
4.A/C gas charging.-
5.A/C compressor oil change.-
6.A/C coil cleaning.- (total AC system service points 4,5,6 = 2500 rs)
7.Radiator cleaning.-200rs
8.Decarbonization - 1200 rs
9.Engine Flushout. - 400 rs
10.Gearbox flushout. - 400 rs
11.Throttle Body Cleaning.-500 rs
12.Exhaust system cleaning.- 350 rs

please add more to list along with the charges.
Old 15th February 2008, 23:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
sort off ot but,is it true that if you remove sparkplugs and clean them/set gap or replace sparkplugs,engine check light will come on ?
totally false. there is no reason and logic behind that happening. cleaning ans resetting the spark plug gap is normal service procedure. why will engine check light glow ?
Old 16th February 2008, 13:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Some Extras that have to be done and not covered under normal servicing are as follows:
4.A/C gas charging.-

Thanks Amit. Its helpful!!
Old 18th October 2009, 17:11   #38
BHPian

Hi, where can i source a throttle body cleaning spray in Chennai or Online. How much would it cost ? I have tried a few shops, none seem to have them

Thx
Old 26th October 2009, 19:50   #39
BHPian

hi friends
I have noticed some oil in my car's intake manifold . The car is ohc 1999 1.5 Is it serious ??the oil is not much but a few drops of oil collected at the base in throttle under the butterfly.I can see it when the butterfly is open.No oil in air filter and there is also no loss of power.

Last edited by honda3938 : 26th October 2009 at 19:51.
Old 27th October 2009, 18:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

It's because of the recirculation from the valve cover to the intake pipe. Some oil and exhaust vapours generally pass through the the valve cover breather to the intake although the usual flow of air is in the other direction (intake pipe to valve cover) and this results in a small amount of oil inside the intake manifold. It's not a problem.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

re: Throttle body cleaning & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
4.A/C gas charging.-

Can somebody provide pointers to a workshop in Trivandrum which is capable of performing the above services (not manual cleaning, but cleaning by machine). I do not prefer workshops that hide their work from customers.
Old 4th July 2011, 15:06   #42
BHPian

Hi,
I recently got servicing done at Sai service recently - say about 3 weeks ago which included throttle body cleaning for 600 Rs and total of about 5K Rs and honestly did not not notice any difference in anything.Anyways I just assumed I wouldn't notice a difference since the ECU was reset and car felt a bit rough as a result while it relearnt the settings etc. so I just let it be
Yesterday I was looking under the hood..listening for some tappet noise etc; I thought might as well see what does the TB look like after the cleaning. Loosened the clamp on the hose ,removed the connector pin(probably IAT) at the TB side.
pulled out the airbox and the hose etc to get a good unobstructed view of the TB.
The face of the butterfly valve itself was clean and shiny - so far so good.
I pulled the throttle cable on the left side of the mouth to open the valve and stuck my finger in to touch the inner surface.I know there will be some carbon build up due to slight blowback + some mild oily stuff due to the breather thingy connected to the valve cover etc.
Guess what I got a load of greasy stuff on my finger, not talking mild build up but something which would build up over a period of 80000 Kms of running.
I may be wrong but someone please correct me - in 3 weeks(dust free monsoon driving + expressway = approx 800 km) how much of a build up should one expect in the TB ? none, mild or greasy black soot. Am I crazy or did someone just polish the front face of the butterfly valve and call it a day ?
I'm going back to talk to the guys at the service station..

Last edited by chetanhanda : 4th July 2011 at 15:10. Reason: IAT connector pin
chetanhanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 15:19   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Hi,
I recently got servicing done at Sai service recently - say about 3 weeks ago which included throttle body cleaning for 600 Rs and total of about 5K Rs and honestly did not not notice any difference in anything.Anyways I just assumed I wouldn't notice a difference since the ECU was reset and car felt a bit rough as a result while it relearnt the settings etc. so I just let it be
Yesterday I was looking under the hood..listening for some tappet noise etc; I thought might as well see what does the TB look like after the cleaning. Loosened the clamp on the hose ,removed the connector pin(probably IAT) at the TB side.
pulled out the airbox and the hose etc to get a good unobstructed view of the TB.
The face of the butterfly valve itself was clean and shiny - so far so good.
I pulled the throttle cable on the left side of the mouth to open the valve and stuck my finger in to touch the inner surface.I know there will be some carbon build up due to slight blowback + some mild oily stuff due to the breather thingy connected to the valve cover etc.
Guess what I got a load of greasy stuff on my finger, not talking mild build up but something which would build up over a period of 80000 Kms of running.
I may be wrong but someone please correct me - in 3 weeks(dust free monsoon driving + expressway = approx 800 km) how much of a build up should one expect in the TB ? none, mild or greasy black soot. Am I crazy or did someone just polish the front face of the butterfly valve and call it a day ?
I'm going back to talk to the guys at the service station..
one:what car?
two:going by what youre saying, it seems the TB was cleaned in place.
ie, wasnt removed and cleaned.
600 bucks?
youve already done most of the work(if this is teh kind of work they planned on doing), all you need is a 150 rs can of TB cleaner spray, and you can do THIS level of cleaning at home for about as long as the can lasts.

go scream at your service guys, and get them to clean it in front of you.

Last edited by mayankk : 4th July 2011 at 15:20.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 15:33   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
one:what car?
two:going by what youre saying, it seems the TB was cleaned in place.
ie, wasnt removed and cleaned.
600 bucks?
youve already done most of the work(if this is teh kind of work they planned on doing), all you need is a 150 rs can of TB cleaner spray, and you can do THIS level of cleaning at home for about as long as the can lasts.

go scream at your service guys, and get them to clean it in front of you.
ya, I forgot that : Maruti 800 MPFI 12 valve, 5 speed version
I just called the service advisor and he's asked me to come over day after tomorrow, I think they must be doing this to all the cars.
I think I need to find a small garage where you can stand there itself and get the stuff done..or just borrow the tools pay the garage some amount and do it myself.
chetanhanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 12:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
ya, I forgot that : Maruti 800 MPFI 12 valve, 5 speed version
I just called the service advisor and he's asked me to come over day after tomorrow, I think they must be doing this to all the cars.
I think I need to find a small garage where you can stand there itself and get the stuff done..or just borrow the tools pay the garage some amount and do it myself.

I have changed my mind - recent experience with Sai service on JM road and Carnation at Hadapsar + expense of more than 10,000 Rs (very long stories ..)I have come to conclusion these guys dont know what they are doing and dont have time to actually service anything properly..
I'm going to do the cleaning by myself at a local small shop.. where I can have access to all the tools.
(Just FYI I just did the tappet setting my self today morning @ local shop)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks