Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 22:04   #46
BHPian

re: Throttle body cleaning & maintenance

I just got the Throttle Body cleaned for my Wagon R .... 650 ...

Is it needed at 22500 KMs and approx 4 years?
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:43   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
I just got the Throttle Body cleaned for my Wagon R .... 650 ...

Is it needed at 22500 KMs and approx 4 years?
Not a bad mileage or time interval to get it done, but were you experiencing any specific problems, like poor/ high rpm idling? IMO, throttle body cleaning should be done at 10K kms or 1-1.5 years, whichever comes earlier.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:34   #48
BHPian

Guys from Pune.. Sai is notoriously over priced.. would recommend to try Kudale.. no complaints so far.. 3 years and 2 cars old relationship. If you run into issues, reach out to Mahesh, he is the works incharge in Kudale.
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:57   #49
BANNED

Throttle body needs to cleaned at regular intervals. I prefer every 6months as delaying it for long hardens the carbon in the IAC valve and it gets very difficult to clean later and only rectification then is buying new one from MASS which i recall is now 2800INR (last year it was only 1850/- INR) for Zen 2003.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 2nd July 2013 at 21:58.
Old 2nd July 2013, 22:02   #50
Senior - BHPian

My WagonR's throttle body was never cleaned so far, and it is completing 12 years this month. At least, I was never charged for it in case they ever did it.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:07   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
were you experiencing any specific problems, like poor/ high rpm idling?
Saket.
Yes I was loosing power at low RPMs especially in the 2nd and 3rd gears. On straight roads, she touched 140, but even a slight incline and she used to lose power considerably. To the extent that on express way, had to drive her in 2nd gear at 3K rpm just to avoid causing a traffic snarl behind me.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:10   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
Yes I was loosing power at low RPMs especially in the 2nd and 3rd gears. On straight roads, she touched 140, but even a slight incline and she used to lose power considerably. To the extent that on express way, had to drive her in 2nd gear at 3K rpm just to avoid causing a traffic snarl behind me.
That's serious. Did the car become normal after throttle body cleaning? Did you check your clutch too?
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:42   #53
BHPian

I think so, have not tested it much. The test drive with ac on, was OK. Will have to drive it a little to check.
Old 13th July 2013, 18:48   #54
BHPian

Guys,

Do we need the specialized Throttle Body cleaning spray for cleaning the Throttle body ? Will WD 40 work as a substitute ?

Issue i'm facing is high and irregular Idling RPM since yesterday, fluctuating between 1200-1400 on my 6 Yr old Swift Vxi.

Regards,
SuperBee
Old 13th July 2013, 18:58   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Guys,

Do we need the specialized Throttle Body cleaning spray for cleaning the Throttle body ? Will WD 40 work as a substitute ?

Issue i'm facing is high and irregular Idling RPM since yesterday, fluctuating between 1200-1400 on my 6 Yr old Swift Vxi.

Regards,
SuperBee
You can use any good Carburetor spray available in the market. WD40 is NOT to clean the Throttle body.

http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...beBZW94TJ2TPgl

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th July 2013 at 19:00.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Guys,

Regards,
SuperBee
Hi
WD 40 doesnt clean the carbon deposit accumulated in throttle body.
I buy a Carburetor‎ cleaner spray from a local shop, it costs around 350. it lasts for 3 - 4 services.

High/irregular idling occurs because of a vaccum leak between IAC value and the inlet manifold, you may want to check the TB gasket/seal
Also cleaning may help.

M.A.S.S charges Rs 700 and above to clean my zen TB. All they do is just give 3-4 puffs of the cleaner near the TB inlet. Which doesnt remove any carbon inside IAC value.

I clean the TB myself. If you are DIY guy, its better to try it yourself!
Old 6th August 2013, 14:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can use any good Carburetor spray available in the market. WD40 is NOT to clean the Throttle body.

http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...beBZW94TJ2TPgl
Pretty much the only site where I could find the 3M throttle body cleaner was this. I just ordered one on Saturday and got it delivered today. The A.S.S. usually never disassembles the TB - a couple of sprays and there's our Rs.400. I do a DIY.

http://automotivesoul.com/shop/89/fl...ct_details/349
Old 6th August 2013, 20:14   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
The A.S.S. usually never disassembles the TB - a couple of sprays and there's our Rs.400. I do a DIY.
Just in case you make up your mind and have time, you can stay there at the ASC. Wherever I have got this job done in the past (till I started this as DIY), I have always seen them dissemble the complete throttle body.

- Disconnect all the connectors - TP Sensor, IAC Valve, MAP Sensor
- Loosen and remove all 4 bolts holding the Throttle Body
- Dismantle the IAC sensor

What they don't do (and are not supposed to do) is remove the TP (Throttle Position) Sensor as it is factory set.

Further to this, they use a Spray - It can be 3M or even "Abro choke Cleaner" and clean the whole throttle body usually full of dirt from the primary source called Fuel.

Lots of these cleaner sprays are available on ebay and even shops in your cities:
http://www.ebay.in/sch/Car-Accessori...r&LH_PrefLoc=6

Here's the pic of My WagonR's Throttle body that I had cleaned a few months before:

Throttle body cleaning & maintenance-45940_10151236728889998_770998270_n.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 21:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Just in case you make up your mind and have time, you can stay there at the ASC. Wherever I have got this job done in the past (till I started this as DIY), I have always seen them dissemble the complete throttle body.
You're lucky. The Hyundai chaps usually just puff away after disconnecting the air filter hose. A senior person I know at HMP told me this. My Honda had a sticky throttle which, after a 400 buck 'throttle body cleaning' session, remained sticky. So I have my doubts.

Quote:
What they don't do (and are not supposed to do) is remove the TP (Throttle Position) Sensor as it is factory set..
True. Definitely not recommended, especiallyin DBW systems.

Quote:
Further to this, they use a Spray - It can be 3M or even "Abro choke Cleaner" and clean the whole throttle body usually full of dirt from the primary source called Fuel.
True. But you're getting a genuine 3M product for far less.

Quote:
Here's the pic of My WagonR's Throttle body that I had cleaned a few months before:

Attachment 1122421
Nice and shiny! I put the cleaner on to a rag and then use it to clean the TB. I don't disassemble it. It's worked well enough for me.

Last edited by d_himan : 6th August 2013 at 21:55.
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2013, 15:08   #60
BHPian

Help!

Just cleaned the throttle body and the CEL has come on.

Steps-
1) Disconnect the MAF sensor and remove the air filter ka pipe to expose the throttle body.
2) Spray Cleaner on a rag ( I bought Carblick, was available at a spare parts store i frequent)
3) clean the area before the throttle plate with the rag.
4) hit that throttle - I mean move that plastic thing so that the valve opens and you can see all that carbon build up.
5) Try cleaning it with a rag, it starts smearing all over the place.
6) Wipe off the smears.
7) Open the throttle plate and liberally spray contents of the carb cleaner inside, take a toothbrush (why didn't i think of this before) and scrub scrub scrub.
8) Again take a rag and wipe off the smears.
9) Start the engine, it takes a little while to catch but finally it starts. Some white smoke comes out of the exhaust, rev it 2-3 times to get rid of that, and voila, smooth idling.
10) Spray some more of the cleaner in the TB(while the engine is running), and rev it again, just to be sure everything is clean.
11) Stop the car, connect everything back again, start the car, CEL is not going away. What did I do wrong ?

Have taken loads of pics on the way, but right now i'm panicking due to the CEL. Have thought of disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. If that does not work, will take it for a drive, do the Italian Tune Up. What do you guys think ?

If that does not work, take it to MASS first thing tomorrow morning to get this checked.

Regards,
SuperBee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks