Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 12:00   #76
BHPian

re: Throttle body cleaning & maintenance

Refer to this page for estimates
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...000-km-10.html

1) Gear oil quantity is fine by rate is a bit higher
2) Is this injector cleaning?
3) Throttle body cleaning price is also high. Separately, there are 2 gaskets that are replaced after cleaning the throttle body, first is around 20 rupees and other is around 60 rupees.
4) Radiator grill can be cleaned by spraying high pressure water, not sure that this is either
Old 20th April 2015, 20:09   #77
BHPian

I have always had an item called 'throttle body cleaning' in my Bills for servicing the Alto. At the moment it comes to Rs.300/- after adding taxes. It seems to be company policy to add this item for every bill.
However, this time, when I changed my clutch, I noticed the item in the Bill! I could not remain quiet this time. Throttle body cleaner for changing the clutch!! I was told by SA that they use throttle body cleaner to clean the clutch housing !!!! The SA even showed me a can of 3M Throttle Body Cleaner. After much hue and cry and correspondence with ASS HO, they admitted that they admitted that no throttle body cleaner was used for the clutch assembly and gave me a refund of the extra amount charged.
techiecal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 09:46   #78
BHPian

After raising an complaint with their customer care, the SA and Works manager came home and have given two coupons.

1. Wheel alignment
2. 9 point service

They are saying it is both worth 1600 and took my sign on some form.

This shows how much they cheat customers and do things that are not required at all.

Two positive things that came out is:

1. If you raise a complaint they are responding and taking action (not sure if this is helpful as why put yourself in that situation)

2. I am seeing lady SA's in the service center for the first time

A good positive sign..
Old 26th April 2015, 11:23   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
After raising an complaint with their customer care, the SA and Works manager came home and have given two coupons.

1. Wheel alignment
2. 9 point service

They are saying it is both worth 1600 and took my sign on some form.
You should have asked for a refund of that 2.8K which you were billed unnecessarily rather than accepting these two silly coupons.

Wheel alignment is the last thing one needs to do from MASS.

As for the 9-point service, it is another eye wash from their end. Just accept the car, take the coupon, tell the customer to come by evening 4pm. Wash it, Polish it and give it back. No fluids etc are checked. I have gone through this hence advising you against these.

Beware from next time.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 16:45   #80
BHPian

At present I drive a 2009 SX4 1.6 VVT that has clocked around 54k kms.

There are no issues with the engine performance, idling, noise levels, vibrations etc but I was thinking whether I should get these 2 things done or not:
1. Fuel injector cleaning
2. Throttle body cleaning

I am inclined towards the first one since I am quite confident that this hasn't been done in almost 3-4 years. This should increase the fuel efficiency slightly; I don't expect much of a performance boost, maybe the engine might rev freely (correct me if I'm wrong!)

The throttle body cleaning part, is it really required? What change should I be looking at ?
Old 26th December 2015, 13:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
At present I drive a 2009 SX4 1.6 VVT that has clocked around 54k kms.

There are no issues with the engine performance, idling, noise levels, vibrations etc but I was thinking whether I should get these 2 things done or not:
1. Fuel injector cleaning
2. Throttle body cleaning

I am inclined towards the first one since I am quite confident that this hasn't been done in almost 3-4 years. This should increase the fuel efficiency slightly; I don't expect much of a performance boost, maybe the engine might rev freely (correct me if I'm wrong!)

The throttle body cleaning part, is it really required? What change should I be looking at ?
Hi Aston Singh,
If you have no issues with the engine performance, smoothness and fuel efficiency, there is no need to go for the above IMO.

I was noticing slight reduction in the performance and fuel efficiency of my SX4 1.6 VVT. It had clocked 52000 km in 4.5 years.

I changed the spark plugs. I also did the routine replacement of air filter and and engine oil. The engine performance and smoothness are restored along with the fuel efficiency.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 13:30   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi Aston Singh,
If you have no issues with the engine performance, smoothness and fuel efficiency, there is no need to go for the above IMO.
I think that makes sense. Just did a highway run over the weekend and absolutely satisfied with the way car's behaving. Engine oil is due for change, I'll get that done over the weekend. Spark plugs were cleaned a week back, so was the air filter. So I'll skip the injector cleaning and throttle body tuning.

Money saved is money earned
Old 28th December 2015, 14:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think that makes sense. Just did a highway run over the weekend and absolutely satisfied with the way car's behaving. Engine oil is due for change, I'll get that done over the weekend. Spark plugs were cleaned a week back, so was the air filter. So I'll skip the injector cleaning and throttle body tuning.

Money saved is money earned
Yes.

The main symptom indicating a need for injector and throttle body cleaning is unstable idle rpm.

Spark plug (Bosch make from MGP) costs Rs. 65 per piece and labor charge for replacement of all plugs at FNG is Rs. 100/-. If your spark plugs are more than 20000 km old, it is advisable to replace.

For injector cleaning, I plan to add 2.5 cc of Acetone per lit of petrol into the fuel tank. This means 125 cc (125 ml) of pure Acetone is needed for a full tank of SX4. If I do this twice, the injectors shall be cleaned without removal. I have not yet done this (no need arose) but plan to do this in future.
Old 29th December 2015, 12:03   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
For injector cleaning, I plan to add 2.5 cc of Acetone per lit of petrol into the fuel tank. This means 125 cc (125 ml) of pure Acetone is needed for a full tank of SX4. If I do this twice, the injectors shall be cleaned without removal. I have not yet done this (no need arose) but plan to do this in future.
Is this a recommended procedure?
Old 30th December 2015, 10:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this a recommended procedure?
This is not a recommended procedure (by Maruti Suzuki).

There is a full thread on this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ne-petrol.html

After reading the thread carefully, I had tried Acetone addition in my two wheeler (Mahindra Duro scooter). It made a noticeable difference.

The scooter does not have fuel injection. But looking at the properties of Acetone as a solvent, Acetone addition to the fuel will help if the injector is clogged.
Old 13th August 2016, 08:37   #86
BHPian

It is really easy to clean the throttle body yourself. You know in the days of my father, grandfather, great grandfather and all, the cars used to be left in the shed of the homes and people used to do all the maintenance on their own. It surprises me as to how much a massive loot business this maintenance has become today and yet people suffer with so much troubles.

I have made a video on how to clean the throttle body yourself. You can watch it here.

cryshnon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 11:25   #87
BHPian

I always wonder: the throttle body air intake diameter is approximately 50mm/2 inches, varying from car to car. With the full opening of the butterfly, it is a VERY WIDE air passage and all the gunk I observed, is mostly deposition along the walls of the passage. May be effectively reducing the air intake diameter by half a mm and the nett x-sectional area by a couple of percent tops. It is not like the entire passageway is choked like a blocked sewer with no air flow. So how exactly does the "wall cleaning" help? Or is it like cholesterol in arteries? Blocking off the flow dangerously?? In my understanding, it is just a filmy grime deposition, with majority of the "emptiness" still empty, and these efforts MIGHT be placebo., this is just my doubt.
Old 13th August 2016, 13:18   #88
BHPian

I have explained that in the video. The butterfly valve is airtight and needs smooth movement and that is not possible if the walls are coated with soot. Also the sensors inside the throttle body can't 'see' the airflow amount and will skip cycles causong the vibration.
The car companies should teach the purpose of every activity to the service agents. They too think that throttle body cleaning isn't something that can cause problems and choose to change spark plugs instead.
cryshnon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 17:14   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshnon View Post
The butterfly valve is airtight and needs smooth movement and that is not possible if the walls are coated with soot.
OK. When there is no throttle, I can visualize, clearly, the intake is "sealed" by the butterfly plate at the idle position, no gaps or leaks along the circumference. 100% wall contact is this unique case of zero throttle.

So you're saying that that in the butterfly's effort to move from this "rest" position to the variable "open" position, the movement may be hampered by the friction caused by the soot build up? The outer periphery of the butterfly plate is being jammed by the gunk on the throttle body walls??

Now, this is either actuated by the foot pedal mechanical force via a wire or via a stepper motor, to turn the butterfly over. Wow. Never realized the soot could actually hamper the butterfly motion.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 13th August 2016 at 17:18.
Old 13th August 2016, 19:01   #90
BHPian

Um...I haven't looked at the inside to be certain. But most automotive experts say that the carbon, grime, oil and other stuff cause added friction and thereby causing obstructions in the smooth movement of the butterfly valve.
Now assuming that the claim is humbug, all the trash in the hose and the throttle tend to flow inside and cover the MAF sensors thereby preventing them from recognising when to open the valve. So we might as well clean everything up. Maybe the cleaner we spray might be cleaning up the sensors inside when they flow into the engine.
I know this for certain that I have carefully observed that there is a fabulous difference in the idling before and after cleaning the throttle body. And this wasn't placebo because one may be imagining that the vibrations are gone, but cannot assume that the car didn't stall on neutral if it actually did.
cryshnon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed