Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2008, 22:03   #1

Esteem MPFI engine too fast

Hi
Friends, i own a 2001 model MPFI esteem VX...i ve jus bought it recently
the cars running fine but thers one small problem..
ocassionally wen u start the car the rpm goes up to 1k or more wen in neutral n stays ther..so while drivin if u leave the accel 2 ..the car keeps movin ahead wid good enuf speed..which cn b dangerous in traffic..
somtimes this is gone wen i restart my car..wid everythn becomin normal n rpm remainin less than 1k in neutral..i ve shown it to a couple of mechanics who did some tuning n said it ws done..bt while driving i steel feel that the engine is fast...plz help me out as to what i cn do..

thnx

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by DCEite : 5th January 2008 at 20:34. Reason: See note.
schumi2508 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th January 2008, 20:19   #2
BHPian

Check the Throttle, clean if required...I think the adjustment of the Throttle valve needs to be done.
Old 5th January 2008, 20:56   #3
BHPian

had same problem in my zen till yesterday.got the throttle body cleaned today and that solved
Old 5th January 2008, 21:24   #4
BHPian

actually, today even i noticed the same problem in my 3 months old esteem. When i cold start the car, the rpm goes to 1500. then after a min settles down to 900+
I guess got to get it checked next time i go for service.

Regards,
Old 5th January 2008, 21:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
actually, today even i noticed the same problem in my 3 months old esteem. When i cold start the car, the rpm goes to 1500. then after a min settles down to 900+

Regards,
thats not a problem. it would be high when you cold start a car so that it warms up quickly. after warming up it settles back down.
Old 5th January 2008, 22:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,

This is not a problem at all. All mpfi engines are set like that. In cold starts, they tend to idle at higher rpms & settle down to 900 rpm after a while whereas a carb engine can be made to idle even at 500-600 rpm, please do not compare these two.
Old 6th January 2008, 20:50   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
It is all controlled by the ECU. Till the engine has reached a certain revs or maybe temp it will stay there. But after a very short drive it gets settled down. Nothing to worry here, its normal.
Old 6th January 2008, 21:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

As others has put it, this is not a problem at all. Even my previous Wagon R was behaving the same way and now the Ikon is also same. This is the normal idling rpm when cold started. It settles down after about 5~10 mins running. Hence do not worry about this.
Old 6th January 2008, 22:17   #9
BHPian

oh thank god!
all this time I had started thinking i'm wasting extra few ml of Shell Super every time I start my baby

Regards,
Old 7th January 2008, 10:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

dont worry guys. its very normal and delibrate.for every cold start all car that are ecu controlled have a concept of auto choke wherein a very rich mixture is injected to avoid dry run and to get that initial temp quickly. this settles within 5-15 sec depending on engine temp the sensors sense.
Old 7th January 2008, 12:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
As others has put it, this is not a problem at all. Even my previous Wagon R was behaving the same way and now the Ikon is also same. This is the normal idling rpm when cold started. It settles down after about 5~10 mins running. Hence do not worry about this.
I agree. Even my petrol Fiesta has similar traits.
Old 7th January 2008, 15:37   #12
BHPian

check the coolant valve.

Hi,

There is valve for the coolant at the connector that connects the coolant hose to the engine. The valve may be bad not closing or may have been removed as mechanics remove it if it is not working properly. I have the same issue on my esteem it was overheating as the valve was bad so i removed it but havent found the time to look for the missing valve. The valve stops the coolant flow when it is not needed. You may also find that the car is taking more time to warm up than normal that is due to excess coolant flowing through the engine.
Old 9th January 2008, 19:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi2508 View Post
Hi
ocassionally wen u start the car the rpm goes up to 1k or more wen in neutral n stays ther..so while drivin if u leave the accel 2 ..the car keeps movin ahead wid good enuf speed..which cn b dangerous in traffic..
somtimes this is gone wen i restart my car..wid everythn becomin normal n rpm remainin less than 1k in neutral..i ve shown it to a couple of mechanics who did some tuning n said it ws done..bt while driving i steel feel that the engine is fast...plz help me out as to what i cn do..

thnx

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
hello
CHECK UR IDEAL CONTROLL VALVE
Old 8th February 2008, 14:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is common with 2001 model esteems the rpm comes down when the engine heats up.
Old 8th February 2008, 18:20   #15
BHPian

Esteem High Idling Rpm

HI, please take ur car to a authorised workshop and ask them to do a rpm control test by a tech2 diagnostic equipment. If the engine does not respond to the comand of tech2 gradualy and responds with jerks then it is time to replace the I.A.C valve,no wonder how much u try to clean the throtle body will not help. Actualy in this rpm test the I.A.C duty is changed tmporarily to which the engine response should be linear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi2508 View Post
Hi

thnx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks