Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 10:50   #1
BANNED

Idiot driver – Rim bend – Advice needed

Today morning at 8.25 I was traveling to my office (Dadar from Borivali) on western express highway, I reached very smoothly till Aare-colony after that found that there is huge traffic on the road due to road repairing work, I saw less traffic on left hand side, Honda City was cruzing on 60km.hr, so I also took left and started following Honda City, 50/55 Ft drive was smooth, after that suddenly saw honda city dashed to block of cement and went ahaed , before I could stop I also dashed ( bump ) to the same block. For 2 second my Heart Stopped Beating. Now Speed decreased to 8km/hr, I heard sound of metal rubbing to another metal, My heart stopped again , I saw from mirror same thing happed to M800 and Santro which was following me, I took my car on left had side and chked the vehicle , it looked fine I again started the car and again heard same sound and notice that vehicle was getting pulled to left hand side, I gain stopped the car and inspected again everything was ok to the vision ,I though RIM must have got some problem so I changed tire with spare once my self and notice that sound was not coming and vehicle was going straight, I took long breath of Relief, and headed to the office,

Now my question is that what shd I do wheel balancing / wheel alignment to get rid of problem? Now car is perfect still shd I get it chked from mechanic? How much time it takes for wheel balancing / wheel balancing ? and what would the cost for the same

TIA

Regards,
Jitendra

Last edited by nicejits : 9th January 2008 at 10:58.
Old 9th January 2008, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
...Now my question is that what shd I do wheel balancing / wheel alignment to get rid of problem? Now car is perfect still shd I get it chked from mechanic? How much time it takes for wheel balancing / wheel balancing ? and what would the cost for the same

TIA

Regards,
Jitendra

Jitendra,

since the car is driving fine now, that is with the new wheel, i do not see a reason for doing an wheel alignment.

take the wheel, that hit the cement block, to mechanic. most probably there is a rim bend (it should be visible- did you check?). he might removed the bend and then do a wheel balancing.

Cost wise, would be ~150Rs or less.
Old 9th January 2008, 11:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

ooh that was really sad. how gr8 was the impact? to be on safer side go to a service station and put ur car on ramp. check underneath whether the block has hit something more. if u see many scratches or bends, check wheel alignment.
Old 9th January 2008, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Rim bends are removed by special machines. Do ensure that the rim bend is removed by a machine and not a hammer (some still do it that way ).

Then a balancing for that wheel is definitely recommended. If the car pulls a little either way, then an alignment also is definitely required.
Old 9th January 2008, 11:36   #5
BANNED

You should ideally change the rim. However, given the state of our roads and the frequency with which rims are bent most puncture repair fellows have become adept in hammering the rims back in shape. I would try the latter and then rebalance the wheel. Frequent rim damage was the reason why on the Zen Maruti switched from 13" wheels to 12" at a loss of handling.
Old 9th January 2008, 12:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

@nicejits: Who is this Idiot Driver? Confused from your thread.
Old 9th January 2008, 13:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Rim bend is visible. Get it straightened in the machine if its a normal bend. Some bends which affect the entire rim and not the outer area are hard to fix, and the only option is changing rim.
Old 9th January 2008, 14:06   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
@nicejits: Who is this Idiot Driver? Confused from your thread.
The Person who was drving Honda City i would call him Idiot because of him entire story took place...

By the way Bend is not visible but i can clearely hera sound of metal rubbing when i installes this Rim
Old 9th January 2008, 14:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The Person who was drving Honda City i would call him Idiot because of him entire story took place...

By the way Bend is not visible but i can clearely hera sound of metal rubbing when i installes this Rim
On a lighter note:- Can you try the ice formula for bend removal like you did for dent removal caused by an Idiot cocunut.
Old 9th January 2008, 14:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't externalize your problems !! You have only yourself to blame. Its not his fault that you followed him. The least you could have done is followed at a safe distance, which you obviously didn't.
Old 9th January 2008, 15:07   #11
BHPian

I hope not the 800 guy has started a thread with the same title in some other forum wherein the idiot driver will be you nicejits
Old 9th January 2008, 15:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Don't externalize your problems !! You have only yourself to blame. Its not his fault that you followed him. The least you could have done is followed at a safe distance, which you obviously didn't.
Exactly my thoughts. I don't intend to rub salt into your wound, but yes you should have maintained a safe distance. Would have given you the advantage of judging the situation better and you could have saved the rim.

Quote:
after that suddenly saw honda city dashed to block of cement and went ahaed , before I could stop I also dashed ( bump ) to the same block.
Old 9th January 2008, 15:36   #13
BHPian

The damage is done..

don't blame the guy in front of you, instead learn from that mistake and keep a good distance between you and the car in front of you!

cheers!
Old 9th January 2008, 15:36   #14
BHPian

Please don't blame for the problems which you yourself created. It's always advisable to follow the normal way rather that creating our own.
Old 9th January 2008, 17:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ nicejets: See these responses...

Brother, you should look while you are driving. This is your problem and calling somebody Idiot is not advisible. Hoping you will do that from next time. Sorry never meant to hurt anybody but this is fact.

Most Viewed