Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 17:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

VW uses CRD tech and they call it Clean TDi. But you will still see TDi badge on cars.

Audi uses Clean TDi
Old 14th May 2009, 18:38   #62
BHPian

Volkswagen introdued TDI in early 90s when the common rail development was still happening. TDI as the name suggests has a turbo delivering the air to the cylinder and diesel being directly injected into the cylinder through a pump or sometimes one pump/cylinder. TDI is a trademark of Volkswagen. Since about 2007, even Volkswagen has started moving to common rail technology

The main difference in CRDI is that the diesel is not directly injected into the cylinder from the pump. Instead, the diesel is pumped into a common rail and this delivers the fuel to the cylinder. The CRDI engines can also have turbos (most of the newer CRDI engines do have).
Old 14th May 2009, 18:55   #63
BHPian

"Multijet" and other CRDI engines have the same technology. Even the non-multijet engines can have upto 5 pulses per stroke. The number of pulses depend on the emission levels to be met. For example, to meet Euro V you if you have DPF, you need a very late injection (after TDC) to burn the carbon deposits in the DPF. So, I think that multijet is just another name like DiCOR, CRde, etc....
Old 14th May 2009, 22:32   #64
Senior - BHPian

after much confusion. here is what VW is doing. They were using PD and since begining of this year they have discontinued PD and started using common rail.
Old 15th May 2009, 06:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
TDI - Turbocharged Direct Injection
CRDI - Common Rail Direct Injection

I belive it is not necessary for a CRDI to have a Turbo.
bang on, the logan we have is a crdi but minus a turbo.
Old 15th May 2009, 09:40   #66
BANNED

I may add that PD is not dead. It is popular in large diesels (trucks etc.). It is more economical, but the NVH is worse than in CR. VW being the only PD group in automobiles decided it was not worth the cost to pursue PD any further.
Old 15th May 2009, 10:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
VW uses CRD tech and they call it Clean TDi. But you will still see TDi badge on cars.

Audi uses Clean TDi

Thats because the name "CrDi" intself was patented by Hyundao (& Merc not sure!!) so only their cars can use it & rest all use different short form of it

eg Mahindra Scorpipo CrDe - Which is CrDi with "Electronics"
Old 5th October 2009, 16:00   #68
BHPian

Here is a question which i am not yet able to answer myself. What is the difference between TDI and PD TDI. I know PDs are unit injectors, what about TDI are they electronic or mechanical AFAIK there are no more mechanical injectors left. All you gurus please please clear this doubt i have.

(This doubt because i have heard that TDIs are different from PDs)
Shyam

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 5th October 2009 at 16:01.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:22   #69
BHPian

Another question. Is the audi R10 TDi common rail or something else.

Shyam
Old 5th October 2009, 17:07   #70
BHPian

Diesel tech.

• IDI - Indirect injection
  • DI - Direct Injection
  • TDI - Direct injection with forced induction
  • TDI - (with an added intercooler)
  • PD - Pumpe' Duse or high pressure Unit injector (pressure maintained in each unit injector)
  • CRDI - High pressure common rail injector (pressure maintained in a common rail and then injected)
  • CRDI,VGT - Same as above but with latest innovation in forced induction via a variable vane geometry turbo.
Would I be correct in the above sequencing of tech. and power delivery.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 5th October 2009 at 17:09.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:21   #71
BHPian

Need more information can anyone please post links as to where to read up on this. As for my questions i have a few links which are related.

Audi R10 TDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the above link R10 is stated to be common rail employing an aluminium engine.

Another information audi calls its common rail engines as clean TDi.

Another piece of information CRDi with a turbo is also an induced DI(direct injection) diesel engine. Hence, can it be concluded that CRDi is also TDi?

Now another question :P are there any recent production cars sporting IDI engines?

Shyam

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 6th October 2009 at 11:23.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:58   #72
BHPian

this is from the company website, Check the specs for R15
Audi Worldwide > Experience > Motorsport > Le Mans

Specification of Audi R10

Audi Worldwide > Experience > Motorsport > Customer sport R10 TDI

This should clear up the doubts, and not all web information is correct so one has to be discreet when browsing

Last edited by raj.barcode : 6th October 2009 at 12:02.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:41   #73
BHPian

You may be right. But then there is confusion check out the link in the same audi website

Audi Worldwide > Experience > Motorsport > Le Mans

Dont ask me how i got the link. I just clicked on something and lo this came up :P

Shyam
Old 6th October 2009, 13:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
Need more information can anyone please post links as to where to read up on this. As for my questions i have a few links which are related.

Audi R10 TDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the above link R10 is stated to be common rail employing an aluminium engine.

Another information audi calls its common rail engines as clean TDi.

Another piece of information CRDi with a turbo is also an induced DI(direct injection) diesel engine. Hence, can it be concluded that CRDi is also TDi?

Now another question :P are there any recent production cars sporting IDI engines?

Shyam

Don't confuse with these terminologies basically there are two types of diesel injection technique, Direct Injection (DI) and Indirect Injection (IDI). In a direct injection diesel the diesel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. In an Indirect injection engine diesel is injected into a precombustion chamber where the mixture will ignite first and then escapes into the main combustion chamber through small holes/passageways.

CrDI is a direct injection diesel engine aided by new technology involving higher injection pressures to make it economical, efficient and cleaner.

PD is also a direct injection diesel engine with new technology (but different from CRDI) involving higher injection pressures to make it efficient, economical and cleaner.

Afaik almost all CRDI and PD engines comes with a turbo. But don't confuse the turbo part with the basic injection technique used, which is DI. Some CRDI/PD uses a FGT and some a VGT, but a turbo is there.

Of the new gen cars iirc the Tata Indica V2 comes with an IDI engine.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:51   #75
BHPian

One doubt since the beginning of this thread:

PD - More mechanical and less or no electronic parts to control the fuel flow behavior.
CRDi - More electronics to control the fuel supply behavior.
In this case how come there's a remapping (Pete's kit) possible for a Skoda Octavia which comes with a PD engine?
Kindly correct where ever I've gone wrong...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks