Team-BHP - RPM shoots up when clutch depressed
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   RPM shoots up when clutch depressed (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34083-rpm-shoots-up-when-clutch-depressed.html)

Hello guys,
After getting serviced (3rd free service) my Adventure at Autofin, Hyderabad I have started observing a strange problem in the car. When clutch depressed to change the gear (or not) RPM shooting up to 1300 - 1400 RPM and stays there And I could hear Engine roar from the cabin.

However the problem is not consistent. As the guys did not do servicing very properly, event all required oils were not filled up in the car and their work was so worst that they forgot to fit oil filter cover after replacing the same. We tried to show the problem (RPM shooting up) to the guys, but the problem was not seen then. As we were not happy with the events, we went to Solar Automobiles for the servicing. The guy did all the checks and said the problem was rectified. En route home from service station, the same problem was seen. There after it has been fine and suddenly we started seeing this issue since yesterday.

Can any one throw light on this?

And I need the oil filter cover for the car, the part is not available in Hyderabad. My friend is visiting Bangalore next week (15, 16 and 17th). Can any of the guys from Bangalore help in this regard? He will come to you in person to collect the part.

-BSR

I think it could be a problem with your car's actuator. Ask the service guy to clean the spring in the actuator or to replace the unit. Costs around 4K for a Santro.
Again, it could also be a problem with the fuel you are using. I had a similar issue with one of my cars, a change in fuel did wonders.
Someone with more knowledge, do correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijayrv (Post 685889)
I think it could be a problem with your car's actuator. Ask the service guy to clean the spring in the actuator or to replace the unit. Costs around 4K for a Santro.
Again, it could also be a problem with the fuel you are using. I had a similar issue with one of my cars, a change in fuel did wonders.
Someone with more knowledge, do correct me if I am wrong.

Fuel may not be the reason. The reason being that we both fill in the same petrol station, but I never seen this issue in my palio.

I agree with vijayrv,even i think its the actutor thats acting funny,get it cleaned.

My Santro Xing also developed the problem recently.

When the clucth is partially pressed, car runs normally but when clutch is fully pressed, suddenly the revs shoot up and remain that way till i lift the clutch.

Do post updates of how it got corrected. It'll really help me.
Thanks

I had a similar problem -overrevving engine without depressing accelerator- in my Siena 1.6. I had to have the throttle body changed to fix it. I suspect it must have been a malfunctioning sensor -perhaps the one sensing the throttle position (is this the actuator mentioned by vijayrv ?)- and the ECU must have thought the accelerator pedal was depressed when it was not.

Some more symptoms which would suggest an actuator problem:
-After sometime even when your car is in neutral, RPM would increase.
If this happens, then a tune up of the actuator wouldnt solve the issue, you would have to replace the unit.
Better be safe than sorry. Get it checked up asap. Else you might involve replacing the unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vijayrv (Post 686338)
Some more symptoms which would suggest an actuator problem:
-After sometime even when your car is in neutral, RPM would increase.
If this happens, then a tune up of the actuator wouldnt solve the issue, you would have to replace the unit.
Better be safe than sorry. Get it checked up asap. Else you might involve replacing the unit.

Idling RPM is set to 1300 at least on cold starts. I will confirm the behaviour in 2 days time. Thank you for the feedback.

-BSR

Is this really a problem?
My car does that too.
I thought its just normal behaviour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gkrishk (Post 686318)
I had a similar problem -overrevving engine without depressing accelerator- in my Siena 1.6. I had to have the throttle body changed to fix it. I suspect it must have been a malfunctioning sensor -perhaps the one sensing the throttle position (is this the actuator mentioned by vijayrv ?)- and the ECU must have thought the accelerator pedal was depressed when it was not.

We had this problem also. Replacing the throttle body solved this problem.

Vijayrv,
Can you please point me out some links to know more actuator and its functionality. I want to know more about this, before suggesting this to service guy. The service guys are generally dumb here, you need to tell them what to replace...

And I have Fiat Manual too, If you can point in the manuals that would be great. Or I will need to scan through them. bit tedious as the PDFs have images, so search does not work.

-BSR

Hi there

I recently bought a Santro, till now its has clocked about 600 kms. I am facing the similar problem the RPM increase whenever i press the clutch. This specifically happens in B2B traffic.

Any Suggestions.

Amit

I am finding the clutch action little bit Hard. Pushing is not a problem, but clutch is not coming back at the anticipated problem. Is this caused by actuator?

-BSR

Hi All,
I am seeing clutch is harder these days. When the car was new, the Clutch used to be smoother than my palio 1.2. But it is much harder now. And there is a drop in the pick up also, but mileage seems to be good.

Is actuator means throttle body?
If yes, I have already changed it once. is problem lies in some where?

I went a local service center called Solar here in Hyderabad, he suggested us to replace Clutch plate, Pressure plate, Flywheel And problem may be solved (he is not sure). When I had mentioned actuator, he was talking about some sensor. I am sure that he does not much idea about it.

-BSR

isnt your car still under warranty? why dont you take it to an A.S.S. Atleast they cant start the blame game with you showing it to some other service centre. Is there any gear oil leakage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gemithomas (Post 703425)
isnt your car still under warranty? why dont you take it to an A.S.S. Atleast they cant start the blame game with you showing it to some other service centre. Is there any gear oil leakage?

How to identify gear oil leakage? Can we seen on the floor?

The car's warranty was elapsed on 14 th of this month. And there is a reason why I am visiting local service center other than official service center:

Please find the history here:

Problems:

1. Pickup lost. RPM stays at 400
2. Cluster meter does not show petrol gauge correctly
3. Mileage was as low as 6.75 KMPL
4. RPM shoots up when clutch engaged
5. Pick up is very bad that my 1.2 better than this.
6. Tak sound on turning the car.

With Anuroop, Hyderabad:

They never agreed the above are problems. They claim that that is the way vehicle behaves. Talked to Mr GSRao and he suggested us to go to Autofin Hyderabad, as Anuroop was soon going to be not servicing Fiats.

I have visited Anuroop at least 4 times for the same.

Autofin Hyderabad: (Visited Autofin at least 4 times and followed up with them for 3 months)

After much struggle and waiting they have fixed throttle body, cluster meter and Fuel pump. First 3 problems were solved. Every time I had to talk Mangesh Kodalkar to make this guys work. Is not the service guys responsibility to address the problem without fail? They could not identify the problem. I have got the information from PUG memebers (yogesh, Zahid and Dr Suneel) and I suggested to replace above parts and they did.

Things seem fine at this point. Then the car clocked 15K. We went to Autofin for 3rd service. I do not know what they have done and last two problems were introduced after the service. I had seen the problem and alerted the guys. They refused to concur with me as Anuroop guys. and you know they have taken oil filter cap. After filling the oil, they did not fit. was that intentional? (I am not going to comment).

What to do now? Talk to Mangesh again....No I did not do it. I vexed with this guys by this time. It is pain you know. you take the car to service guy every time travelling 30 KMs and leaving your work at office and problem is not getting rectified, not identified the root cause and not listening to the customer about the problem and not caring for the customer problem. Do you still want me to feel happy for owning a Fiat? No way. They are miserably failed here...

What are the other options then? Mallik cars and Concorde. They are also Tata Servicing guys. I am sure, I would have received the same response as Autofin. How many service centers do i need to visit to get the problem solved? or Does Fiat expect me to learn auto engineering before buying a car?

At this point, upon suggestions from PUG memebers I had visited Solar. He could solve the problem no.6 (replace bearings, shocks). But 4 and 5 still are pending.

I have visited Solar at least for 10 times till now.

-BSR

PS: I just came back from Solar today afternoon.

PS2: Me and My friend were FIAT lovers. We used to suggest Fiat to all of our friends until some time back. We have purchased Fiat against the wishes our faimly and friends. We have shown so much trust on FIAT. what we got in return? hole to pocket, physical and mental stress and betrayal.