Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2005, 08:55   #1
BHPian

LPG kit to Ikon 1.6

Hi all
My dad has recently bought an Octavia Automatic, and he wants to fit an LPG kit to our existing 4 yr old ,40,000km Ikon 1.6. I have a few queries:

1. Is it possible to fit the LPG kit to the car without any problems? I stay in Hyderabad . Are there any competitive mechanics here who can do this job professionally?

2. Is an LPG cylinder 'dangerous'??

3. How much will it cost approximately?

4. Is the LPG cylinder the same as the one used in our kitchens? It costs 310 here. How many km is the car expected to return per cylinder. Our car currently returns abt 9kpl in the city.

5. How will the performance of the car be affected? Will it be as responsive as it is now? Can you guys give an approximate figure of the power the engine will produce after the conversion?

6. Will the engine life be reduced a lot?

I have searched the forums on this but i didnt get the answers i was looking for. I hope you guys dont mind me starting a new topic on this. Someone on the forum was saying that there would be complications in fitting an LPG to an Ikon 1.6 . Is it true?

Thanx a lot in advance.

And, lastly, i feel the interior space in the octavia is the same as our Ikon. Also , the ride feels just as firm atleast at low speeds, though the suspension doesnt make noise like the ikon. I dont understand why the Octavia costs 15lakh when the Ikon costs less than half of that.

Mayur
Old 9th January 2005, 09:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure you can fit an LPG kit without any problems. Just make sure you obtain it from a respected and trusted mechanic shop who have done many such conversions to similar cars in the past.
I'm afraid the car will lose a little of its throttle response, but if you want to fit an LPG kit, you obviously don't drive it hard enough to make that much of a difference so it dosen't matter.
I dont know about the problems with LPG Ikon 1.6's.

And mate, how could you say that about the Octy? Its so much more spacious, its so much more cosseting, and luxurious. Don't the controls make you feel that the company actually wants to give you the best? Awww come on mate try to approach it from a different angle, and just marvel at how much diffrence there is between the two.
Old 9th January 2005, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

i live in hyd
my cousin got an lpg kit fitted to his ikon,it isnt the normal gas cylinder,they fix a proper one and you have to go to one of the 4 lpg fuelling pumps and fill the gas
costed him 23k with a 60 kg cylinder
if u want more details pm me will give you my no,if u wanna u can see my cousin's car too
Old 9th January 2005, 11:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

hey islero ,
the octy is as big as the ikon in the back and i agree .
but the octys ride is far superior so are the quality of the materials and everything
hell a merc c class felt as small as a corolla and that costs twice the corollas price

tacho there will be a drop in performance for sure
Old 9th January 2005, 20:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

lamborghini, I agree, you feel cheated in that area in the C-class, but when you look at the safety features and technology and quality of materials in the C-class, the price is justified to a certain extent.
Old 9th January 2005, 22:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think with te LPG conversion , u will get abt 7-8 km per kg of gas in the Ikon
Power will slightly be reduced. No fixed numbers though , but u will feel like the car is doing just about 85 hp.

To maintain engine life , it is advisable to drive the car on petrol atleast once in 15 days.
Old 10th January 2005, 13:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
lamborghini, I agree, you feel cheated in that area in the C-class, but when you look at the safety features and technology and quality of materials in the C-class, the price is justified to a certain extent.
I agree. Price is proportional not only to space. If it was so, you will file million dollar law suit against Daimler Benz for miserly space in Merc SLR. It's a two seater costing approx. 7 crores (?)
Old 10th January 2005, 13:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

thats exactly my point.
Old 10th January 2005, 15:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

1. yes it is possible to fit a lpg cylinder kit to your ford ikon 1.6

2.lpg being dangerous depends on the installer and the person who changes the cylinder
in the car

3.dont go in for any aftermarket kit ask for tartarini electronic kit (made in italy)it will be connected with your mpfi system,go in for the the kit with automatic lambda adjustment as it adjustes gas pressure automatically price with lambda is around 18k rs.,without lambda 10k(installation included)

4.yes it is the same domestic lpg cylinder,you can fit the cng type tank but lpg pumps are not in abundance,a domestic lpg cylinder will run for abt 150-170kms with ac,upto 250 on highway

5.there wont be much difference in performance of the engine except for the top end will be sacrificed a lot and with the half empty cylinder the car wont go above 4000rpm

6.again if u go in for the electronic kit the car will automatically start on petrol and will switch to lpg as soon as you press the throttle.
Old 10th January 2005, 19:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

the one my cousin installed isnt the one which has the domestic cylinder
we have four car lpg filling stations(similar to cng ones)where you need to go and fill up
he fixes a proper tank in the boot
complete thing for the ikon costs abt 23k in hyderabad
pics soon
Old 10th January 2005, 21:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman

5.there wont be much difference in performance of the engine except for the top end will be sacrificed a lot and with the half empty cylinder the car wont go above 4000rpm
c

Whoa? Why?
Old 12th January 2005, 15:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
c

Whoa? Why?
i was talking abt domestic cylinder as the cylinder gets empty the pressure gets reduced so does the rev limit
Old 13th January 2005, 19:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
To maintain engine life , it is advisable to drive the car on petrol atleast once in 15 days.
Can anyone explain why this is the case?
Old 16th January 2005, 14:39   #14
BHPian

Hey Thanx everyone everyone for the replies.... I have got a new doubt?

Should i go in for CNG conversion or LPG conversion?? What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, my Ikon currently has 175/70 R13 tyres. I want to upsize it to either 185 or 195 on the existing 13 inch rims. Can you guys advise me which make of tyre i should go for? Will 195/60 tyres foul with the body??

Mayur
Old 16th January 2005, 16:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

i think even 185/60r13 tyres will foul with the fenders,as far as the manufacturers go pirelli,michelin,goodyear and bridgestone are the best ones,but i think you should go in for the goodyear ducaros they cost around 2200rs. each tyres are good performers,i have tried them but bridgestone potenza g3 are better performing tyres than ducaros and cost around 3200rs.,i dont think pirellis are available in 13" sizes,and i have never tried michelins but i know they are good ones maybe ill try them for my next pair.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks