Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2022, 18:44   #376

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a single change of synthetic oil, any petrol engine can safely run for 7,500 - 10,000 kms. That is why I started the point with "Mobil 1". On regular lubes....yes, 5000 would be best.

Honda City manual recommends 5k interval change since Honda used mineral oil on Vtec, Fully Synthetic Oils are fine to run till 10K kms, only advice - dont use Engine Flush on Old engines and switching to Fully Synthetic from Mineral can build leakages, hence stick to the oil (grade) the one has been using and in Indian Conditions I presume 7k kms is a decent interval for the Old car like Vtec (old yet refreshing to look every single time)
Old 12th October 2022, 10:34   #377
BHPian

Requesting the experts for some advice on preventive maintenance beyond 150,000 kms for a petrol sedan. I will keep the car for some more years, do a fair bit of long distance driving and want absolute peace of mind (hence obsessed with preventive maintenance). My car has incidentally given zero trouble over the 8 years of ownership, despite going to almost every state in the country and facing atrocious roads, which I believe is largely thanks to this thread which I have followed religiously. But what more, other than repeating the original post advice at those intervals ?

Specifically what about

- Replacement of the alternator (not just servicing although I have seen advice in other posts that alternators never need to be replaced unless gone kaput).
- Steering rack ?
- Reducing the interval for auto gear box oil change after the first change is done. Been advised that this would be safer to do, although the owner's manual recommends change after 100,000 kms.
- Anything on the engine at all ? (perhaps not now but post 200,000 kms)
- Anything else to consider ? In doubt, I would spend and do it, even when strictly not required. I see the investment as a huge saving compared to buying a new car or not getting stranded in a remote corner of Nagaland !

I am a complete ignoramus on technical matters, so would greatly appreciate some advice. I rather think GTO might want to amend the first post to include long term maintenance . With cars costing what they are and with such waiting times, it is likely more of us will keep cars for longer, or buy pre owned cars and hence this thread assumes added importance.
Secretariat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 21:38   #378
BHPian

My 2017 dzire petrol has crossed 73K km in 5.5 years. Here in Nepal, they make us service at 5K km. I'm planning to get regular service (engine oil change, fuel filter change) at 75K. What else is recommended? I'm especially concerned about timing belt etc. So far, my car is running well.
Old 25th February 2023, 22:49   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
My 2017 dzire petrol has crossed 73K km in 5.5 years. Here in Nepal, they make us service at 5K km. I'm planning to get regular service (engine oil change, fuel filter change) at 75K. What else is recommended? I'm especially concerned about timing belt etc. So far, my car is running well.
I think the service intervals should be standard for India & Nepal so for every 5000kms inspection is recommended and every 10,000 kms complete service is recommended, it should be mentioned in the owners manual. For the timing belt you can change it around 90,000km or 1L km mark, people do stretch it further but i don't think the risks are worth it. In addition to what is recommended in the manual, get the Throttle body cleaned and the standard stuff of inspecting shockers, steering boots which are replaced on wear & tear basis.

Last edited by revvharder : 25th February 2023 at 22:50.
Old 26th February 2023, 00:12   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
Do check the owners manual. Because you won’t notice a timing belt wearing until it’s too late. You will go from your car running well, to not running well and some catastrophic damage in the blink of an eye.

Jeroen
Old 26th February 2023, 12:47   #381
Senior - BHPian

Driving in hills is taxing on the engine as running is mostly in the first three gears. So there will be more wear and tear, hence changing oil every 5,000 km is recommended. Mind you if you are involved in harsher drives - mostly in 1st or 2nd gear, then the oil change interval is even lower. Best to check the oil condition every 1,000 km.

The same applies to brake pads and clutch. They will wear out much faster.
Old 20th July 2023, 00:08   #382
BHPian

2007 Swift VXi 60k service

Guys I have a 16 year old Swift VXi that hasn't been serviced in a year.
The last major service was at a MASS at 40k after which I've just done periodic maintenance.
The last service was almost a year ago at 52k, the current odo reading stands at 62k.

Should I opt for the 70k service at MASS ?
The car has no major issue whatsoever, what are things that I need to get checked apart from the usual oil/air filter etc if I opt for a FNG recommeded to me by a friend ?
Old 21st July 2023, 10:59   #383
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2007 Swift VXi 60k service

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyph3r View Post
Guys I have a 16 year old Swift VXi that hasn't been serviced in a year.
The last major service was at a MASS at 40k after which I've just done periodic maintenance.
The last service was almost a year ago at 52k, the current odo reading stands at 62k.

Should I opt for the 70k service at MASS ?
The car has no major issue whatsoever, what are things that I need to get checked apart from the usual oil/air filter etc if I opt for a FNG recommeded to me by a friend ?
If you have the original owners manual, then there will be a list of tasks to be done at 60k and 70k service. From what I can remember the following has to be done

. Replace Engine oil
. Replace air filter
. Check/replace gear oil
. Check/replace radiator coolant
. Repalce spark plugs if more than 20k km old
. Check Clutch and replace if worn
. Check/replace the engine mounts

Apart from that check all thr electricals - bulbs, battery, fuses etc
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 16:58   #384
BHPian

I gave my Jeep Compass for service at a 3rd party service Center in Guruvayur. They typically have a lot of upmarket cars like BMWs, Mercs and Audi’s and were recommended by many.

However, when they did the service for my Jeep Compass, they did everything except change the oil or oil filter. I asked them about this and they said it’s because the car hadn’t run 15k (though it’s been a year since the oil change). It has run 10k currently though. Should I take it back (it’s about an hour away and will have to keep it there a day) and get the oil changed or wait 2 more months for it to hit 14k?
Old 27th November 2023, 17:16   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
I gave my Jeep Compass for service at a 3rd party service Center in Guruvayur. They typically have a lot of upmarket cars like BMWs, Mercs and Audi’s and were recommended by many.

However, when they did the service for my Jeep Compass, they did everything except change the oil or oil filter. I asked them about this and they said it’s because the car hadn’t run 15k (though it’s been a year since the oil change). It has run 10k currently though. Should I take it back (it’s about an hour away and will have to keep it there a day) and get the oil changed or wait 2 more months for it to hit 14k?
Get the oil and filter changed. 10k is the max I would drive even with the best oil and oil filter. It's been an year and you have done 10k. Get the oil and filter replaced. The car will thank you
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 17:22   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
It has run 10k currently though. Should I take it back (it’s about an hour away and will have to keep it there a day) and get the oil changed or wait 2 more months for it to hit 14k?
What's a service without the oil and oil filter change? I'm surprised they didn't do the change or even discuss it with you. Services interval is one year or usually 10k whichever comes first. Some manufacturers advertise 15k intervals but if I had such a vehicle and I wasn't doing higher mileage I would still prefer to get an oil change at 10k.
You must IMO get an immediate oil change and feel the difference!
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 06:25   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Get the oil and filter changed. 10k is the max I would drive even with the best oil and oil filter. It's been an year and you have done 10k. Get the oil and filter replaced. The car will thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
Some manufacturers advertise 15k intervals but if I had such a vehicle and I wasn't doing higher mileage I would still prefer to get an oil change at 10k.
You must IMO get an immediate oil change and feel the difference!
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I’ll get it done asap. It’s been bugging me since the past few weeks.
Old 29th November 2023, 10:59   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Check the oil change timing in the manual. Usually it is kilimeters run or 1 year which ever is earlier.
Old 2nd December 2023, 12:15   #389
BHPian

Dear members,
Is it advisable to buy a 15000 km run car, which has not been serviced since 13 years?

The car in question is a 2009 Honda Accord 2.4 AT. It was last sent for service in 2010 for the 1000 km service (or checkup?). The owner claims it has not been serviced since, so I'm assuming the fluids and filters are 14 years old. The car has done just about 15000 kms, as claimed by the owner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks