Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 14:03   #76
BHPian

How do we confirm that whatever instructions that we gave were actually carried out, given my limited technical expertise on the subject? In case of the Hyundai *** in Bangalore, theyexpect us to leave the car, and collect it after the service. What they usually ask whether I face any problems. Well, I don't face any show-stopper problems in my car, I expect them to check that for me, and do accordingly. In fact, I dont get a "feel good" factor after the service, that somehow makes me skeptical about the service. Its something like this: I tell them a nut is loose, and they tighten that, and they dont see the one next to it. I'll have to go back to them to do that. By seeing the number of vehicles they service per day, I feel they are doing things in a hurry, and dont spend due attention that it deserves.

Will they entertain the request to be present while doing the service? I'm keen to know how you guys are managing to ensure things are done.

rgds,
Venu.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjunk View Post
Can this schedule document be shared out here. I'm curious and interested.
I do not have a schedule document, but I have my detailed log of maintenace work done on the car. Please see the link below for the detailed excel file I keep on my Scorpio's maintenance history:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/960230-post49.html

The file tells me when I did what, and a analysis of it will give me the next item that is due.

I keep the M&M service schedules in mind - the checklist they have for every 5,000 kms, in the service booklet - but based on my own experience with maintaining cars (Mahindra Commander, Matiz, Scorpio), I keep track of important events - engine oil changes, gear oil changes, belt, brake pads, wheel greasing, clutch plate health, and so on. For example, I change rubber belt every 60,000 kms, wheel greasing every 30,000 kms or suspension overhaul every 50,000 kms. Every 6 months, I have the ASC guys test-drive my car for clutch feel, suspension, etc.

I also keep an eye on those parts that wear out and may require attention. I check physically the car every weekend for any signs of damage, leaks, etc. Needless to say, I check every weekend oil levels, coolant levels, etc.
Old 19th October 2008, 00:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

there are many software that helps in this. Some are freeware too. Please google.

For example:
The ORIGINAL CAR Care Software :: Car Maintenance Software :: Vehicle Maintenance Software
Old 20th October 2008, 01:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
How do we confirm that whatever instructions that we gave were actually carried out, given my limited technical expertise on the subject? In case of the Hyundai *** in Bangalore, theyexpect us to leave the car, and collect it after the service. What they usually ask whether I face any problems. Well, I don't face any show-stopper problems in my car, I expect them to check that for me, and do accordingly. In fact, I dont get a "feel good" factor after the service, that somehow makes me skeptical about the service. Its something like this: I tell them a nut is loose, and they tighten that, and they dont see the one next to it. I'll have to go back to them to do that. By seeing the number of vehicles they service per day, I feel they are doing things in a hurry, and dont spend due attention that it deserves.

Will they entertain the request to be present while doing the service? I'm keen to know how you guys are managing to ensure things are done.

rgds,
Venu.
Being present while your car is being worked upon is perhaps the most important thing you can do for it.

Some service centres have a facility where they have a waiting room usually seperated by glass where you can sit and watch the work being done on your car/bike. I belive Maruti and Hero Honda have such service centres (though all may not have it... not sure). I have avalied of this few times in the past, but time is a constraint now. Some service centrers may have issues with allowing customers being present in the workshop itself, but Iv usually had my way as I dont easily take no for an answer.

I dont know about Hyundai, but you could try insisiting that you want to watch. If you are affirmitive enough, you may get what you want.

Actually, its all about what we expect and feel we deserve... if a lot of customers demand for this, more service centres will have to meet it... but the sad fact is that most dont demand...
Old 20th October 2008, 10:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

I get into the garage to see what is going on. Brief the mechanics myself and get feedback. My garage does not encourage customers inside, but exceptions are made, and they are OK with it unless the customer appears to be talking too much with mechanic or is over-bearing, chasing them for speedier work. In my garage, customers appreciate this openness which is not there in other M&M workshops - I have had fights with others, and refuse to patronise such garages.
Old 20th October 2008, 16:20   #81
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
My garage does not encourage customers inside, but exceptions are made, and they are OK with it unless the customer appears to be talking too much with mechanic or is over-bearing, chasing them for speedier work. In my garage, customers appreciate this openness which is not there in other M&M workshops - I have had fights with others, and refuse to patronise such garages.
Amongst other reasons, insurance violation is one. To maintain their workshop coverage, they cannot allow customers into the repair area. I don't know of any workshop policy that makes an exception. That's why some workshops can (rightly) get incredibly finicky about this.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
• Change timing belt / balancer. Water pump replacement recommended.
What's a balancer? I thought we need to change the timing belt and bearings but no clue of this.

OT: GTO/Anyone has an idea how much would the following cost for the OHC:

Water pump replacement
Basic Steering overhaul/service
Gearbox mounting
Power steering fluid

How do we check engine idle settings (speed & CO)?

GTO - You can also add - Check engine mountings and Check door alignments in the 60K service intervals.
Old 19th November 2008, 10:14   #83
BHPian

Guys, what is the Grade and Quantity of Transmission/Gear Oil that is needed for an OHC ? Also, what brands would you recommend ?
Old 25th February 2009, 13:35   #84
BHPian

Preventive Maintenance Tips required for Zen VXi 2004, 52k kms

To Mods: Please approve my topic. I know several posts exists on owning a car and maintenance tips but I am looking for specific advice from team members. Thank you.

Hello Bhpians!

I am newbie to car world. Recently bought a second hand Zen Vxi (mpi) 2004 model with mileage of 52,480 on odo from TrueValue MSM Okhla, Delhi.
Car is in very good condition and smooth. Was owned and driven by a single lady driver.
Though, truevalue certified with one year warranty and fully refurbished.
I just want to be extra cautious with preventive car maintenance as I do not have past service history of the vehicle.
I live along a 25kms Noida express way with no roadside mechanics and go back home at 11:30 PM from office. I would never want by car to breakdown in middle of nowhere!

I have planned following for first 2 services:

Along with first free service:
  • Engine oil change
  • Engine oil filter change
  • Coolant change
  • Gear oil change (Same as transmission fluid I guess?)
  • Differential oil change
  • Windscreen washer water topup
  • Battery fluid topup
  • Brake fluid change
  • Shock absorbers oil (Not sure if serviceable?)
  • Clutch fluid (Not sure if my car requires it?)
  • Spark Plugs
  • Air Filter
  • Did I miss any other type of fluid ????
Apart from above after referring to the service schedule in owner's manual at 50-60kms
I see following replacements suggested:
1.Water pump drive belt: I don't know where it located is and how to check its wear to know its due for replacement?
2.Valve clearance: Is it really required? Someone told me not to get valves opened if car is running smooth.
3.Master cylinder and wheel cylinder or caliper: No idea! Does it require replacement?

I'd be obliged if fellow Bhpians can pour in some ideas for preventive maintenance from their experience and if any advise on points above?

Also, following three additional questions?
1.If anyone can tell me where is the gear oil reservoir located under the hood?
2.Coolant is toped up in reservoir or directly in radiator or both?
3.Level of coolant in radiator should always be upto the lid?

Regards,
Akhil
Attached Thumbnails
Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-image069.jpg  

Old 26th February 2009, 12:10   #85
BHPian

Can someone please reply my above post!
Old 26th February 2009, 14:49   #86
Senior - BHPian

Well, I can answer a few questions:-

2.Coolant is toped up in reservoir or directly in radiator or both? Reservoir alone should do. Only if the level is drastically down in both, then the radiator will also need a top up.
3.Level of coolant in radiator should always be upto the lid? Generally yes, but there is a little space below the lid that allows hot coolant to expand into the reservoir.

Transmission oil and gear oil are the same.

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th February 2009 at 14:50.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2009, 00:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

• Engine oil change. YES after every 5000kms
  • Engine oil filter change. YES, definitely along with oil
  • Coolant change Yes, Buy pure and mix it with two liters of distilled water. Don't use premixed. Also while flushing old coolant check in let and outlet rubber hoses. This are cheap Rs. 60 approx stuff but are of great importance. ALso change the clips (with original one.)
  • Gear oil change (Same as transmission fluid I guess?) Yes but it lasts 25k kms easily.
  • Differential oil change. N/A
  • Windscreen washer water topup. Yes also add a pouch of surf to it
  • Battery fluid topup. Yes, if braking is unadequate, also bleed them
  • Brake fluid change. Change it if it was not change in its service history.
  • Shock absorbers oil (Not sure if serviceable?) If damaged buy new.
  • Clutch fluid (Not sure if my car requires it?) Cable operated hence N/A
  • Spark Plugs. Change it if it was not change in its service hostory.
  • Air Filter Yes. but if you want long term solutions, go for replacement filter like K&N
  • Did I miss any other type of fluid ???? No but also check the followings.
1. Wheel servcing, alignment balancing.

2. Change all the rubber hoses marked in the images. these are cheap but are of great importance.

3. Check any sign of grease leakage, rubber boot cracks (steering & driveshaft. Tierod and its end wear, Balance rod bushing, lower trailing arm bush condition (this can't be changed but changes along with lower arm.

Apart from above after referring to the service schedule in owner's manual at 50-60kms
I see following replacements suggested:
1.Water pump drive belt: I don't know where it located is and how to check its wear to know its due for replacement?

Good idea.

2.Valve clearance: Is it really required? Someone told me not to get valves opened if car is running smooth. A
Also a good idea, but mechanic should be experienced

3.Master cylinder and wheel cylinder or caliper: No idea! Does it require replacement?
If Brake is fine master cylinder/wheel cylinder is fine. Check for any sign of brake oil leakage
Caliper are cheked during wheel servicing. change if it worn out.

Also, following three additional questions?
1.If anyone can tell me where is the gear oil reservoir located under the hood?
It goes directly in the GB. The cap is located behind the radiator.

2.Coolant is toped up in reservoir or directly in radiator or both?
Both places.

3.Level of coolant in radiator should always be upto the lid?
yes.

Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-zen.jpg

PS: is the AC working.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2009, 13:45   #88
BHPian

Drop in average post vehicle service

Hey fellow BHPians!

I got my car (Esteem MPFI) serviced sometime back (20k service) and it's clocked ~2300 Km since then. Other than the regular servicing stuff, the following things were carried out:

1. Throttle Body Cleaning.
2. Fuel Injectors cleaning.
3. Engine Flushing.
4. Spark Plugs replacement.

Now the issue I am facing is a drop in the car's average. Earlier I used to get 13-14 Km/ltr in city & 15-16 on highways. After the service, the figures have reduced to 11-12.5 in city and 13-14 on highways. I have arrived at the figures by doing a full tank-full tank refueling 4-5 times now. My driving style has remained similar. I would appreciate if someone can inform me what could be the reason for the drop in average.

Cheers!
LoG

Last edited by lordofgondor : 27th February 2009 at 13:47. Reason: Adding title to post
Old 27th February 2009, 14:31   #89
BHPian

Ask your mechanic to check the gap in the spark plugs.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:59   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
  • Windscreen washer water topup. Yes also add a pouch of surf to it
Is it advisible to add surf into windscreen washer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks