Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 00:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

Yes, ntomer. Get it changed at a competent workshop. Don't waste 5k at Hyundai A.S.S.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:47   #122
BHPian

What long term maintenace should I do?

Guys,

I own a Wagon R (125K Kms done in 9 yrs). I recently had a radiator problem. This set me thinking. Here are the thoughts:

1. What are the maintenance/preventive activities should one do to a vehicle after it reaches say 100K Kms stage?
2. I guess the service station guys do not do certain activities by default. We need to ask for this separately. Ex: Radiator service, tyre change reco etc. Can we create a list of such activities?

Regards,
lsjey
Old 31st October 2009, 20:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

I think your best bet is to ask the service advisor. They know your car better than anyone and will know when it needs an overhaul or any other long term repairs.
Old 1st November 2009, 00:41   #124
Team-BHP Support

Go through the service details marked in the owners manual, it covers alot. Apart from that general check needs to be done on the health of rubber parts, like hoses and belts.
Old 2nd November 2009, 09:47   #125
BHPian

If you follow the service book faithfully, there should be no problem at all.
The only things not mentioned in the book will be battery and tyre replacements, and these will make themselves known in any case!
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:11   #126
BHPian

Thanks GTO for merging with this thread. My bad that I did not do enough research before opening a thread.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 5th November 2009, 12:58   #127
DRC
BHPian

@JVH, link from other thread about the DIY maintenance of fiat cars..
I still depend on local garages for fluid changes because I can not dispose the used fluids in environmentally friendly ways. I trust garages sell them to the recyclers.
However, Most minor to medium repairs I do myself, this include some fixes on suspension, leaking radiator (accident), most electrical fixes and modicifcations, sensor checks and fixes etc...

The scanner I have is a chinese one ELM327. Easily available on e-bay. But the trick is it does not work on Fiat as is. need to make a custom cable and write your own software.
Old 5th November 2009, 13:22   #128
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I still depend on local garages for fluid changes because I can not dispose the used fluids in environmentally friendly ways. I trust garages sell them to the recyclers.
However, Most minor to medium repairs I do myself, this include some fixes on suspension, leaking radiator (accident), most electrical fixes and modicifcations, sensor checks and fixes etc...

The scanner I have is a chinese one ELM327. Easily available on e-bay. But the trick is it does not work on Fiat as is. need to make a custom cable and write your own software.
Thanks DRC. Scanner is the one which I was interested in. I'll check out on ebay. So, did you do the coding and cabling yourself?

When you say you do some supension fixes, is it possible for a single person? Or you have lift - up jack? Sorry for too many questions
Old 5th November 2009, 13:48   #129
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Thanks DRC. Scanner is the one which I was interested in. I'll check out on ebay. So, did you do the coding and cabling yourself?
yes, I did the cabling and code
Quote:
When you say you do some supension fixes, is it possible for a single person? Or you have lift - up jack? Sorry for too many questions
I do get help in the family. 2 jacks will do most of the times.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post

You really are something! I have always seen that the vehicle will be fine when it is you who is working on it. Once it is taken to a service station, all hell breaks loose.

How about some basic ToI on this? This will really be useful for us Fiat owners.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:12   #131
BHPian

Found this link - Maintenance&KnowHow archive at IA Blog. Talks about Maintaining and "Getting your car Serviced". Hopefully its useful!
Old 5th November 2009, 15:19   #132
DRC
BHPian

excuse my ignorance, but what is acronym ToI, Deepakhon?
Old 16th May 2010, 01:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Lancer done 1,00,000. What next?

My beloved car has covered 1,00,000 kms providing entertainment, love, safety, comfort and what not. This is not a 1,00,000 ownership review so I will come straight to the point. I intend to get it redone properly and have this in mind.

1. Tyre alignment and balancing.(micheling xm1 since 58K))
2. Replace Synthetic oil Mobil1 (12K first time use).
3. Replace spark plugs if necessary to four point iridiums or platinums (whicheveer is cheaper) for better fuel burning (nothing for performance, only smoothness in running). Is this needed?
4. The dealership guy said that the timing belt needs replacement at 1,00,000 kms. Is this true?
5. Does gearbox oil and power steering fluid need a look at? How to know if its time to change?
6. What about FRP and Fuel filter?
7. The frontscreen washers are clogged. I am intending to get them cleaned using acid.
8. The engine rpm's have been a bit low since sometime. What can be the possible issues to look into?
9. The clear lens headlights have turned yellowish. Do they need replacement?
10. What can be done to increase a/c effectiveness to defend from the hot Ahmedabad summers?

I will make a list of issues small and big and post here to get my car the much needed stamina for the next journey.

Please suggest/advice for what is best?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 16th May 2010 at 01:54.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
My beloved car has covered 1,00,000 kms providing entertainment, love, safety, comfort and what not. This is not a 1,00,000 ownership review so I will come straight to the point. I intend to get it redone properly and have this in mind.

1. Tyre alignment and balancing.(micheling xm1 since 58K))

you have already done 42k on the Michelins, dont you think you will require tyre change soon.

2. Replace Synthetic oil Mobil1 (12K first time use).

Depends, you can use the synthetic oil till 15k kms. However, if you plan to get all the listed actions done, better get the engine oil change as well.

3. Replace spark plugs if necessary to four point iridiums or platinums (whicheveer is cheaper) for better fuel burning (nothing for performance, only smoothness in running). Is this needed?

I dont have much idea about spark plugs but normally, the company changes them every 40k kms. If you witness problem of misfiring cylinders, you may change them. Ask a good local mecanic to have a look, he will suggest right. (also spark plugs in my cedia costed about 1k, if I remember it right.)

4. The dealership guy said that the timing belt needs replacement at 1,00,000 kms. Is this true?

This the first thing you should do if you havent done this earlier. get it done asap. Timing belt does require change at 100k kms.

5. Does gearbox oil and power steering fluid need a look at? How to know if its time to change?

Gear oil, brake oil, power steering oil, coolant change is required every 40k kms.

transmission oil is changed at 100k kms.

6. What about FRP and Fuel filter?

No idea about lancer, but I think it is at every 20k kms (not sure though).

8. The engine rpm's have been a bit low since sometime. What can be the possible issues to look into?

rpm not consistent may very well be due to unclean throttle body, get it cleaned, also get the injectors cleaned.

9. The clear lens headlights have turned yellowish. Do they need replacement?

If you are keen on it, change it only then, this would be the last thing I would to in the list of jobs.

10. What can be done to increase a/c effectiveness to defend from the hot Ahmedabad summers?

its 100k kms and you should get the condensor cleaned properly, get the AC lines plushed, check for the air flow of blower, get it cleaned if needed and refill fresh AC gas. will definately help. Also cleaning of throttle body will provide consistent revvs all the time and hence consistent running of compressor providing better cooling. you may have been witnessing better cooling once you build up revvs.

I will make a list of issues small and big and post here to get my car the much needed stamina for the next journey.

Start with important thing such as timing belt and engine stuff and move on to the others.

Please suggest/advice for what is best?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th May 2010 at 09:28.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2010, 09:46   #135
Team-BHP Support

I think this thread needs to be changed to the right section.

Most Viewed