Team-BHP - Questions on General Driving Styles
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Questions on General Driving Styles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34267-questions-general-driving-styles.html)

I recently bought a Corolla HE. I am not a pro and dont know much about cars. Sorry if am being stupid but just trying to learn...

Here are some questions on whats right and whats wrong and would love to get inputs from the pros here

1) I do not like to wait and warm up the engine. i.e idle the engine in the morning for few minutes. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

2) My friends tell me that my geat shifts are wrong or in their opinion a touch aggressive as compared to optimal driving conditions. In my Corolla I usually touch 2-2.5 rpm in every gear before ascending to the next. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

3) Sometime am too lazy to shift to 1st gear in heavy traffic and I stick to 2nd gear even while starting from zero.Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

4) I press the clutch and change gears quickly (friends say i am not taking care of my new car and might damage the gear box) But i dont see a reason why do i have to hold the clutch for a second longer than it is necessary. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

5) On highways - I keep the cooling fans in constant speed always running but will turn on and off the air conditioner often. Like if it gets slightly chilly i turn of the a/c and turn it back on in say 15/20 mins. Say in a 100 km drive I might have turned on and off the a/c switch about 5 times. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

6) If I keep the a/c vent open(allow fresh air to enter) then the interiors will get dirty. is this true? Isn't there a air filter or something that prevents dust particles from entering the cabin?

7) I dont mind giving my friends chances to take a spin. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

8) I break very late near the speed breakers or curves. I dont like holding them for long and I try to minimize the time I press the pedal as much as possible. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

9) While slowing down I like to just put the drive in neutral and carry the momentum for some distance. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

I got more questions in my mind but will stop here for now.

Thanks

1- there shouldnt be any harm in that. but till the engine warms up dont push it at all. change gears at 2k rpm or so.

2- no problem at all changing gears at 2.5k rpm.

3- you should shift to first. if you start in 2nd youll put more strain on the engine and the clutch would wear out faster since youll be slipping it.

4- havent seen your changes so i cant comment. but IMO as long as you dont force or bang the lever into position it should be a problem.

5- its not a problem. as long as you dont keep putting it on and off every 5 mins it should be a problem. try and keep the thermostat a little towards the warmer side.

6-

7- that all depends on you and the way your friends drive. some people dont mind giving and some people dont like to give.

8- as long as your not braking dangerously late it should be fine. keep a watch out on cars behind you if you brake late so that it dosent get them by surprise.

9- this has been answered many times on the forum. IMO if your slowing down for a speed breaker or a signal then its fine. just dont do it while going downhill or on a highway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanandmsv (Post 687988)
7) I dont mind giving my friends chances to take a spin. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

Varying. From friends misusing the car (one of my friends "friend" used the borrowed car to transport contraband!!!) to bad driving habits.

Quote:

8) I break very late near the speed breakers or curves. I dont like holding them for long and I try to minimize the time I press the pedal as much as possible. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?
Depends on what speed you are before slowing down. Just make sure you do not surprise your passengers and those following you.

Quote:

9) While slowing down I like to just put the drive in neutral and carry the momentum for some distance. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?
Better FE is what comes to my mind first. But the down side is that the car is free of the restraing put on it by the transmission and engines; so may actually gain speed on slopes; or slow down or even roll back rather quickly if you are climbing. Remember that when you coast, you are losing control over the car. Try to take advantage of engine
slowing down the car along with itself.

Quote:

That depends on the friends driving style, I have some friends who would treat you car with respect and others who would welcome it as an opportunity to try things that they would not dream on thier on wheels. So that is totally up to you.

1) Since it is a new car, you will be better off warming up the engine. If you can't do that, then ask someone to start your car while you are getting ready (about 1 or 2 min earlier is enough).

4) Even I have a doubt about the gear changing. The alto jerks if I release the clutch too fast, esp., at higher rpms, in 2nd and 3rd gears, will this cause any problems? Because releasing the clutch fast just means that the drive shaft engages sooner right?

6) Yes there might be chances of dust entering your car. Worse than this is the odour.

7) Depends on how they drive. Try not to give it, because they might feel the urge to push the car.

8) Just don't brake TOO late from high speeds (40+ kph), you'll end up replacing the brake pads sooner.

9) Never let the car coast - something that I learnt here on team-bhp. When you are in neutral, you will not be able to accelerate suddenly, if the need arises, so as to avoid any obstacle or some autorickshaw charging at you!

Since yours is a new car, you might want to go through this -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...r-new-car.html

There you are Anand. Most of your queries answered. Just adhere to the above points and it will be fine (especially Akshay1234). Noting to add more drive carefully and take the turns correctly. I personally do not allow anybody behind the wheel of car (not even my wife). :D

1) I do not like to wait and warm up the engine. i.e idle the engine in the morning for few minutes. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

It is always advisable to idle the car after starting to let the car attain the optimum opreating temperature. No harm will be done.

2) My friends tell me that my geat shifts are wrong or in their opinion a touch aggressive as compared to optimal driving conditions. In my Corolla I usually touch 2-2.5 rpm in every gear before ascending to the next. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

2-2.5K RPM is not a bad range for changing the gears. I tend to change gear usually at around 2K RPM. Nothing wrong with this.

3) Sometime am too lazy to shift to 1st gear in heavy traffic and I stick to 2nd gear even while starting from zero.Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

Do not stress ur engine by starting from 2nd gear. Always use the 1st gear to move from standstill. Thats why it is there. You will be stressing ur engine and also declutching a lot more than required.

4) I press the clutch and change gears quickly (friends say i am not taking care of my new car and might damage the gear box) But i dont see a reason why do i have to hold the clutch for a second longer than it is necessary. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

Cannot comment on this much, depends on person to person. If you release the clutch before you slot the car into proper gear, it will harm the gearbox.

5) On highways - I keep the cooling fans in constant speed always running but will turn on and off the air conditioner often. Like if it gets slightly chilly i turn of the a/c and turn it back on in say 15/20 mins. Say in a 100 km drive I might have turned on and off the a/c switch about 5 times. Is this good or bad for my car? If bad, what can be the consequence?

No problem at all. nothing wrong with this.

6) If I keep the a/c vent open(allow fresh air to enter) then the interiors will get dirty. is this true? Isn't there a air filter or something that prevents dust particles from entering the cabin?

Yes there will be a air filter to filter the dust. Depends from car to car. But I think corolla has the air filter.

Please ensure that your friends drive in a proper manner. It depends on person to person. Its your call.

Not a good thing to do, if you know there is a speedbreaker ahead, take off ur foot from the accelerator and slow down gradually instead of braking at the last moment. Braking at the last moment wil only fades ur brakes pads quickly.

Never ever drive your car in neutral. A very bad practice indeed.

Thanks a ton guys! Learning, still ...

Quote:

Please do let the engine idle for atleast a minute , if you are starting a cold engine(something like 12 hrs gap since you shut it off). It will help the lubrication of engine,gear box etc.,. which in long run will bless you with a healthy car. 1-min idling may not waste much fuel, beside you will get time to check any warning lights as well.
Quote:

Sounds ok.(better judge by the speed which the car has gained , i mean user manual may suggest some thing like 3rd gear is for 30kmph-90kmph etc.,.)

Quote:

Again it depends on the exact conditions then, if there are fours persons onboard and car is crawling, 2nd gear might be a bad choice, but ,w1ith just you it may happily pull in 2nd.

Quote:

Holding cluch longer may not be needed but make sure you depress it fully before you change a gear and release fully before you accelarate

Quote:

Sounds ok.

Quote:

Dust might not enter, but odours do. Consider a old truck ahead of you jetting out loads of smoke, those odours may be carried in , in that case shut down fresh air and use recirculation.

Quote:

It depends upon the friend,if he is auto-literate then ok.

Quote:

Late breaking and hard braking are different. If you mean you take foot off gas pedal and let engine do some intial braking and then brake at slower speeds, then its ok. But on other hand, if you approach at speed (with some gas pressed) and then you brake hard near the speed brakers, it may cause more wear of your brake shoe/pads. Not to mention fuel wasted.

Quote:

Not at all adviced by T-BHP. Consequences already explained by other members.

Quote:

I got more questions in my mind but will stop here for now.

You are welcome with new ones :-)