Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 21:30   #1
BHPian

Fiat Palio 1.2- Rusted Exhaust replacement: Stock/ FFE?(Cochin)

My dad uses a Fiat palio 1.2 sport , June 2002, till date run 40K . Things were running fine till a couple of months back, when problems started cropping up, one by one(some sensors playing fool, powerwindows packing up etc) .
I'll leave all the other issues for a later thread, but right now we are facing a problem, as the exhaust muffler and the entire piping seems to have rusted (Not a Fiat problem, rather due to the heavy monsoons in Kerala) .
The A.S.S guys at Cochin (R.F Motors) says the entire exhaust inclusive of two mufflers(?) and piping need to be replaced, and will cost 10k. And of course, they have to order it and get it from factory, as ready stock is not available which means we have to wait for a months time. As usual, I am out of station, and have no means to personally acertain the facts as well as the figures.

My doubts are:

1.What do they mean by 2 mufflers?Are they correct in this count? The whole thing is one single unit, including the cat-con?
2.Is the quoted cost/time realistic?
3.If it is, is there any way to get it off the shelf ?
4.Any point Going free flow way? Dad would prefer to be discreet, and I dont see myself laying my dirty hands on her any time soon, so the noise is lost here.
4.Otherwise , does anybody in here have a stock exhaust lying idle ( any sense in putting up a "wanted" thread in the market place ie.)
Old 16th January 2008, 17:12   #2
BHPian

Hey Guys, somebody give me some suggestions, I am running out of time ......
Old 16th January 2008, 20:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey! get an FFE from automech! Great sound, and will cost u the same as your stock one! btw, what they mean by two pieces may be, one as the tail piece with the end can, and the other piece from the headers.
Old 16th January 2008, 20:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Have not had experience with the Palio but on my UNO i have needed to replace the bigger muffler (located closer to the rear end) as much as 6 times over these 7 years. But i think the smaller muffler (towards the centre of the underbody) has not had to be changed yet. Please confirm that you need to change the whole set in your case. They might just be taking you for a ride.

Maybe Palio users could give first hand experience.
Old 16th January 2008, 22:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey! get an FFE from automech! Great sound, .
In Cochin? Where? can you give any contact?It has to be custom made or is it readymade, bolt-on thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Have not had experience with the Palio but on my UNO i have needed to replace the bigger muffler (located closer to the rear end) as much as 6 times over these 7 years. But i think the smaller muffler (towards the centre of the underbody) has not had to be changed yet. Please confirm that you need to change the whole set in your case. They might just be taking you for a ride.

Maybe Palio users could give first hand experience.

The bigger, and squarish muffler located nearer to the tail pipe is sure rusted and needs to go. It had signs of rusti, the last time I was at home and that was before the monsoons.

The one nearer to the headers did not seem to have any issues back then. However, things can change during six months time right? I will ask my dad to check that first thing tomorrow morning.
One can never be so sure about these A.S.Ses nowadays.
Old 17th January 2008, 08:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
In Cochin? Where? can you give any contact?It has to be custom made or is it readymade, bolt-on thing?
Yep. in cochin. I'll PM u the contact details. U can check if they offer automech for palio,(i think they do). Its readymade, u just need to bolt it on. For an OHC, it took around half an hour, thats all!
Old 17th January 2008, 10:37   #7
BHPian

Thanks, JD.

I've already spoken to Balu, he said he'll check up and let me know the details, may be after an hour or so. Any idea where he gets his stuff from?
Old 18th January 2008, 07:43   #8
BANNED

Quote:
1.What do they mean by 2 mufflers?Are they correct in this count? The whole thing is one single unit, including the cat-con?
It might be the whole unit.

Quote:
2.Is the quoted cost/time realistic?
Very high cost, you'll get it from outside for a few thousands less.

Quote:
3.If it is, is there any way to get it off the shelf ?
Try Bosch service near RF motors OR you can search yourselves using the Yellow pages.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

i just replaced palio1.2 3rd and 4th part of exhaust for 3.5k. lift her up in a local garage and have a look below. keep car running to locate the leaking areas. the mechanics can help you out in this. i found the last part which is the silencer rusted. replaced the 3rd part also since the place both join was also rusted and putting only last part will not give good sealing. also get the locks and new rubber bushings(4 of them).the 3rd unit has a muffler like triangle part. 4th unit has the proper muffler.
in most case it should be the last part only which needs replacement and will come for less than 2.5k
Old 18th January 2008, 10:13   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
i just replaced palio1.2 3rd and 4th part of exhaust for 3.5k. lift her up in a local garage and have a look below. keep car running to locate the leaking areas. the mechanics can help you out in this. i found the last part which is the silencer rusted. replaced the 3rd part also since the place both join was also rusted and putting only last part will not give good sealing. also get the locks and new rubber bushings(4 of them).the 3rd unit has a muffler like triangle part. 4th unit has the proper muffler.
in most case it should be the last part only which needs replacement and will come for less than 2.5k
Had you taken any pictures? Is it possible to post any? Again the problem here is like I am out,and my dad dont have the mind to do all these.Lucky that the workshop guys did not have a full exhaust at that time,or he'd have had already replaced it by now.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

no pictures buddy. it was my cousin's car so just wanted to get it back on road as soon as possible. it had a dead battery and rusted & broken silencer.
Old 28th April 2014, 19:05   #12
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio 1.2- Rusted Exhaust replacement: Stock/ FFE?(Cochin)

Bringing an old thread to life...

Hi all,

I am facing problem with silencer/exhaust noise on my petrol Fiat Palio Stile SLX (Nov 2007 model) for the past 6 months. It appears the silencer has gone bad as the car is making a lot of noise. I had recently gotten the 30,000 kms service completed at Vecto Motors (Hosur Road, Bangalore) where I had SA put fully synthetic oil and change the spark plugs. However, the silencer problem was not rectified during the service. Surendra had asked me to come back for changing the entire silencer assembly costing about Rs. 30,000 if I cannot bear the noise. I have tried to maintain my car really well and do not want to live with this noise.

Please advise what are my options and if someone can inspect and suggest some cost-effective solution.

Another problem that I have noticed is that the car idles erratically sometimes. Say when I am at a signal, the car idling suddenly spikes up for just a second and then immediately comes back to normal. It is so quick that I don't get a chance to look at the jump in RPM. But the idling spike is so pronounced that the entire car vibrates or shakes. The vibration effect is even more experienced when AC is on. Could these two be related problems? If not, what needs to be checked to fix the second problem?

Thanks a lot,
Prashanth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks