Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 16:20   #1
BHPian

Synthetic oil for Getz / verna Crdi

Is there any distinct advantage of having synthetic oil for getz diesel? If so what brand and grade is recommended?

Should I start off with synthetic from the begining or run the car for 5k kms and then change the oil to synthetic ?

advice is much appreciated
Old 16th January 2008, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sir, synthetic only after 10000kms. Do a search, the subject is being discussed in other thread
Old 16th January 2008, 17:56   #3
rippergeo

souljah, I know that there is a school of thought on this forum that synthetic oil should be used only after 10,000km. I think the logic is that the increased lubrication hinders the breaking in of the engine.

not so sure about that, if the breaking in gets delayed- so what? it will take longer for the engine to settle down, but thats it. superior lubrication is superior lubrication, period.

synthetic oils are also said to get to various parts of the engine quicker than semisynthetic. there is also greater resistance to degradation of the oil.

bottom line- synthetic is better
my verna says so. am using castrol (semi synthetic)
my swift backs it up- mobil 1 fully synthetic

now, I have no numbers or concrete evidence to back me up. this is just going by how the cars feel after using the oil and how much smoke(or the lack of it)
I have gone way off topic here. sorry
but did so just to see if there are conflicting opinions and the logic behind those opinions.
will post the above in synthetic vs mineral oils debate too.

Old 16th January 2008, 20:32   #4
BHPian

rippergo > Sir, I am also not looking for enhanced performance. I am a very conservative driver who seldom crosses 2200 rpm (be it petrol or diesel ) . I love diesel engines and ENJOY driving them between 1800 and 2200 rpms.

I am the kind of guy who actually lets the diesel engine idle for 2 minutes before switching it off to protect the turbo charger. And I also constantly look at the EGTemp and rpm more than the speedo.

My SPGM gallery

To me, this is going to be my first modern diesel engined car. And I want to do all I can to make sure that the "chances" of damage to it are reduced.

My quandry about synthetic vs natural oil has more to do with the psychological satisfaction I would get knowing that I have provided the best for my engine , rather than actually pushing the engine to the limits where the difference between natural and synthetic oils will become evident.

As you mentioned, I actually like the idea of the engine wearing and bedding down slowly. It will polish the mating surfaces better.

What grade/brand name oil are you using?

I use Mobil Delvac For my TC/IC/OM616 and as far as non synthetic , Mobil product is good.

What grade/brand name oil are you using?

Also can you tell me where the main discussion is being held on this topic
Old 16th January 2008, 21:27   #5
rippergeo

I'm using castrol magnatec for the verna. the theory is that the magnetic stuff in the oil makes it stick to metal surfaces for longer which is useful for cold starts apparently. not sure if it is really magnetic, but the verna is doing better on the castrol magnatec than the swift is on mobil1.maybe that is a difference in build quality.i still feel mobil1 which I use in the swift is better, but it is costlier. the verna CRDI has a better warranty, so I'm willing to take risks with it, hence the semisynthetic. else i would have used mobil1 on the verna too.
the mobil1 does make a massive difference to the NVH levels. so it must be doing something right.

I drive the last 1km of my journey in idle, that lets my turbo cool down. before someone laughs at me for driving so slow, idling in 5th gear in a swift diesel means 40-60kmph.which is plenty.
and i do idle for a min or 2 in the morning if i have the time.

cant remember the exact grade of oil used, but was as close as i could get to the OEM specifications i could get. will check and PM you.

here's the link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html

Last edited by rippergeo : 16th January 2008 at 21:46. Reason: adding link to main discussion

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks