Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 17:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Where's the spare fuses in a Baleno ? Anyone ?

While driving to Karaikkal last Saturday, the Baleno's a/c stopped working all of a sudden. Initially I thought it could be some issue with the a/c switch (I was repeatedly toggling the switch on/off to reduce cooling in the evening) or even something serious like compressor problem.

Decided to get it rectified at a MASS next day, but being Sunday none were open and we sweated it out to Velankanni. Then somehow I thought it would be worth the time to check out the fuse and yes, the a/c fuse (15A) had blown.

I remembered that our M800 used to have spare fuses somewhere under the dashboard. So, I look up the service manual, and it also mentions the same location for the Baleno, but I dont find any fuses there.

Since I had to drive back on Sunday and it being too hot (add a bawling baby also to the equation ), I used the L/H headlight fuse for the a/c (same rating) and drove till it started getting dark. Then replaced it back since I could drive with windows down when the sun had set.

Does the Baleno not come with spare fuses ? If it does, where do I find them ? Anyone ?
Old 16th January 2008, 18:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are fuses under the dashboard for the HU, cigarette lighter etc... but, I doubt whether u will find a spare one. You will have to be an accomplished acrobat anyway to get to the place where they are located under the dash.
Old 16th January 2008, 18:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, they are there as mentioned but pretty difficult to reach.

I had to remove the panel below the steering wheel ie. the panel just above your shin, when you are driving. You've got to unscrew 3 screws. Take the panel off.

Then turn contortionist. Put your head into the footwell. Look up. A small torch would be handy. There's a fuse box similar to the one in the engine bay, fixed to the 'ceiling' of the footwell amidst a mass of wires and connectors. Pull the cover of the box out. The spares will be in the slots on the inside of the box cover.

i.e. if the MSIL workshop has not used them for some replacements without replenishing them. I say this since I've found them doing it. Thereafter, I specifically ask them to check the fuse stock at every visit.

I plan to stock some in the glove compartment the next time I visit the workshop

Last edited by shuvc : 16th January 2008 at 18:07.
Old 16th January 2008, 20:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

This thread might help though the pics have gone missing.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Well, they are there as mentioned but pretty difficult to reach. I had to remove the panel below the steering wheel ie. the panel just above your shin, when you are driving. You've got to unscrew 3 screws. Take the panel off.

Then turn contortionist. Put your head into the footwell. Look up. A small torch would be handy. There's a fuse box similar to the one in the engine bay, fixed to the 'ceiling' of the footwell amidst a mass of wires and connectors. Pull the cover of the box out. The spares will be in the slots on the inside of the box cover.
I did unscrew the panel below the steering and peered inside in the maze of wires, but could not make out anything resembling a box, and so gave up. Will try again with a torch. Don;t know why they have to make this so difficult for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
I plan to stock some in the glove compartment the next time I visit the workshop
Me too. Dont know when they will come in handy during a long drive - would not want to be stuck without horn/lights/a.c etc on a highway, far away from any service centre or spares shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
This thread might help though the pics have gone missing.
Thanks, moralfibre, that was useful.
Old 18th May 2010, 09:33   #6
nisam76

Same problem for me during my way back from cochin to bangalore. Couldn't figure out where the spare fuse is, since it was night and no rain i could manage with windows down.

Old 18th May 2010, 12:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Update : I tried again later and located the spare-fuse box. And since I dont want to contort myself everytime a fuse blows, I have kept the spare-fuse box in the glove-compartment itself. :-)
Old 18th May 2010, 13:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Update : I tried again later and located the spare-fuse box. And since I dont want to contort myself everytime a fuse blows, I have kept the spare-fuse box in the glove-compartment itself. :-)
It's the best place to stock this thingy. I had a horrid time once earlier when I had a blown fuse. Went to a MASS and they showed it to me, the very same day I pulled it out and put it in the glove box.

Guess what ? Since I put it in the glove box never had a single blown fuse.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69
Guess what ? Since I put it in the glove box never had a single blown fuse.
Same here.
Only issue with keeping in the glove-box is the fuses getting misplaced due to my son playing with it. The glove-box is lockable, but I dont really lock it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks