Team-BHP - i10 hand brake issue
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   i10 hand brake issue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34351-i10-hand-brake-issue.html)

My Brother(in Pune) recently picked up i10 Magna and we all are quite happy with its perfomance, but its handbreak is giving big time issue, even after lifting her to its full it dosent works properly and if you forget to release the handbreak vehicle moves with ease no issues like burning smell from break pads n all, what could be the issue? seen the same thing in some other post, just curious if any other fellows over here faced the same thing, need input to get it done at service station.

moving just few mtrs wont fry the clutch plates so you are not getting burning smell.

you need to drive few kms to get that smell lol:

though for the main issue of ineffective hand brake,please visit service centre or some other mechanic to get it tightened.

it should not be a big problem unless untill its something specific to i10

Does your friend feel some kind of resistance initially when driving the car with hand brake on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaybiz (Post 690676)
My Brother(in Pune) recently picked up i10 Magna and we all are quite happy with its perfomance, but its handbreak is giving big time issue, even after lifting her to its full it dosent works properly and if you forget to release the handbreak vehicle moves with ease no issues

Please ask your brother to read the manual from cover to cover before driving the car. This is something that we all neglect, but is really essential if you want to treat your car properly. The manual will explain the purpose of the various warning lights in the dash apart from giving other invaluable tips about operatiing/maintaining the car.

In particular, it is a good habit to look at the dash warning lights as you switch on the ignition and start your car. Then you will see the handbrake light glowing and take action before doing any damage to the handbrake liner or to your clutch. The other warning lights in the dash are also important and it is essential that one understands their purpose and funcitioning before driving the car. For example, if handbrake is down and the handbrake light is still on when engine is running, that means brake fluid level could be low (in my old Santro, at least).

No resistance at all and he drove almost 10-12 KM before realizing that handbreak is not released after seeing the handbreak indicator on dash.

I have noticed that sometimes the handbrake does not activate completely if it is lifted while the lock is pressed. Technically it should be lifted without pressing the lock and it makes small TRRRR noises around 5-6 times which are the locks... am I right techies??

I hope you are not doing the same thing!

just now checked with a friend of mine who has a i10 and it seems that he has not faced this issue. the hand brakes are working fine for him! please do have it checked ASAP.

OT: he said he has got 18kmpl on his last long drive, this is even before the first service!!! Do you get this much?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos (Post 690716)
I have noticed that sometimes the handbrake does not activate completely if it is lifted while the lock is pressed. Technically it should be lifted without pressing the lock and it makes small TRRRR noises around 5-6 times which are the locks... am I right techies??

I hope you are not doing the same thing!

not necessarily.

The lever just work on basic mechanics; the nob / lock is just that , a lock.

Regardless of you pulling the lever up without pressing the nob/lock and getting the TRRRR sound or you pulling it up with the nob/lock pressed, the end result will/should be the same - namely - engaged brakes, period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 690783)
not necessarily.

The lever just work on basic mechanics; the nob / lock is just that , a lock.

Regardless of you pulling the lever up without pressing the nob/lock and getting the TRRRR sound or you pulling it up with the nob/lock pressed, the end result will/should be the same - namely - engaged brakes, period.

Well, i said..what i have noticed in a few cars...hope you will see/saw that.

I do not own an i10; but I guess that it is a front wheel drive. Hand brakes lock up the rear wheels. Since the engine drives the front wheels, it is possible for the vehicle to move even if the rear wheels are not turning.

There are ways of knowing if the hand brake is engaged. Noticing the pull is one. Noticing the extra sound while the vehicle is moving is another. Looking at the dash indicator lights is most reliable. Putting your hands on the hand brake lever before moving off is always a good practise.

The guy in question appears to be either a newbie, or this is a case of sheer negligence.

BTW, my WagonR will move with just the clutch released and hand brake appleid. I have learnt to (a) check the dash board (2) recognise the distinct sound when vehicle moves with the hand brakes applied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos (Post 690716)

A knowledgable service engineer told me that the handbrake should fully engage with six clicks in my Santro. If more/less clicks are required, then handbrake needs adjustment. I agree it is better to engage without pressing on the lock, so that you can hear the clicks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stratos (Post 690795)
Well, i said..what i have noticed in a few cars...hope you will see/saw that.

my limited exposure to cars never got me to notice this. will keep an eye out. cheers:

You should press the button, pull up, then release the button.

I learnt from a couple of good pro instructors in UK, as well as having practice with some very experienced drivers including my dad --- all them instructed me to push the button, saying that to do otherwise just wears the 'teeth' of the ratchet mechanism. But as Happywheels says, it will make no difference to the working of the brake.

This is plainly just a case of a fault on a new car: the service people should fix it. And quickly: an issue with the brakes is fairly serious.

I like to press the nob even while engaging the hand brake (so as to avoid click click sound) and disengage pressing the nob lift a bittle and get it down.

Just wanted to confirm if this will have no ill effects on the braking system of car when compared to standard click click type.

If it does harm the car, i will change my habit.

No harm. Quite the opposite.

Even at age 18, though, I resented not hearing the satisfying ratchet noise after being firmly told that I must press the button. ;)