Team-BHP - Chevrolet Spark Seat-belt warning light
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Chevrolet Spark Seat-belt warning light (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/34382-chevrolet-spark-seat-belt-warning-light.html)

Ever since my family has bought Spark the seat belt warning light has been not functional from day one.
The sales person when asked for the same said that it is not connected. But I wouldn't take his word on it, given his other automobile knowledge which was quite amusing :)

Never-the-less during first assurance checkup and servicing I had given it as complaint and first time got phone call and they repeated the same thing. Second time no response.

Do other Spark owners have same behavior of seat belt warning light. (i.e. its not working) ?
I find it quite amusing as obviously there is place for that indicator on dash so why not just make it operational ?
Given the fact that my Spark model is LT with Option Pack I expect these small things. What do other Spark owners say ?

no the seat belt warning lamp does not work in the spark.they have not connected the wiring for that,cheap cost cutting moves,wherin they could have connected it and that could have been a selling point.
ram

I own a spark LS which has done 8000 Kms. I am very happy with the ride quality which none other brand in the supermini class offers. The only problem I have faced till date is left side pulling of the vehicle which is quite noticeable. After visiting the service center(Udit Motors, Thane) 3 times for wheel alignment & balancing checks( They even opened the suspension) the problem still persists. I am not sure how many sparks face the same problem.
Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33 (Post 691627)
Ever since my family has bought Spark the seat belt warning light has been not functional from day one.
The sales person when asked for the same said that it is not connected. But I wouldn't take his word on it, given his other automobile knowledge which was quite amusing :)

Never-the-less during first assurance checkup and servicing I had given it as complaint and first time got phone call and they repeated the same thing. Second time no response.

Do other Spark owners have same behavior of seat belt warning light. (i.e. its not working) ?
I find it quite amusing as obviously there is place for that indicator on dash so why not just make it operational ?
Given the fact that my Spark model is LT with Option Pack I expect these small things. What do other Spark owners say ?

Hi amyanaik,

> I have faced till date is left side pulling of the vehicle which is quite

Try interchanging the front tyres. If the pull is to the right now, could be a tyre issue. Sometimes this solves the pulling issue.

Does the user manual contain any information about Seat Belt Warning in Spark? i think they have not enabled the feature in Spark.
It's very funny, there is place for that indicator on dash and they are not enabling in a top end model.
I own a Aveo1.4 base model. Initially I had the same doubt and clarified with service guy. Seat belt warning light is not enabled in Aveo1.4 base model.

Hi Rajesh,
I have got the tyres rotated. The problem still persisits. It is predominantly a left side pull. Could it be a suspension or brake issue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyanaik (Post 726190)
Hi Rajesh,
I have got the tyres rotated. The problem still persisits. It is predominantly a left side pull. Could it be a suspension or brake issue?

Get the wheel alignment and balancing done. I think the problem is while driving and not braking, right? If it is during braking alone, brake adjustment ought to have been done - but the service center would have done it when you described the problem to them.

To know whether the seat-belt sign is really wired or not, look at the socket (where the seat belt clasp goes in) at the side of the seat. If the system is wired, you will find a wire coming out of that socket (there has to be a micro-switch in there to sense whether the clasp is inserted or not).

The pulling to one side is actually due to leaning because of the road camber, and you will get this feeling more in a lightly loaded car than a car full with passengers. It is a "feeling" and unlikely to be a wheel alignment issue. To be sure, drive with the wheels on both sides of the center of the road (without a median, of course:p) - the feeling should go away.

If there is indeed a problem, it will be detected during the first service when they normally do wheel alignment again.

Hi amyanaik,

> I have got the tyres rotated. The problem still persisits.

What I meant was to put the present front left wheel to the front wheel and vice versa.

> It is predominantly a left side pull. Could it be a suspension or brake issue?

If the pull to the left is persistent even after the above, the problem may be elsewhere as you suggest.

One another thing you can try (if you have not) is to change the side of the tyre on the rim on both the sides.

All these are trial and error methods!

Confirmed it with Service Center Manager

In previous batch of Spark (pre-airbags one) seat belt warning light facility is not available.
No idea about one with airbag

I own a LS model of Chevy Spark. Had booked it in that 50k discount scheme and got it in December. Nov, 2007 make. Right since the first day, the digital clock has been malfunctioning. I had set the clock to the right time and it was running fine for some time. Then suddenly one day, when I started the engine, the clock's time got reset to some arbitrary time. I again set it. But after that, everytime I stopped and started the engine, the clock got reset. Complained about this in the first service - they said its a known manufacturing defect and they are trying to identify the fix in GM after which all the cars will be called back to put the fix. Have any of you faced this?

Apart from this and the seat-belt indicator problem, there's hardly much to fret about in this car. Must say, it's an absolute joy to drive the Spark. Very easy and smooth to drive.

I own one of the first Sparks (without the 50K discount) :(. The seat belt warning lights are NOT connected in the SPark. In the Korean version this works and in place the temp gauge you get a tachometer. Dont know why India gets the no frills versions.
The digital clock malfucntion seems to be a regular problem in the current batches. I have heard quite a few recent owners complain about it. So I guess GM would do the needful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimz (Post 731285)
I own one of the first Sparks (without the 50K discount) :(. The seat belt warning lights are NOT connected in the Spark. In the Korean version this works and in place the temp gauge you get a tachometer. Don't know why India gets the no frills versions.

I would much rather have temperature indicator than a tacho in hot weathered country like India where during summer temperatures about 35 Deg are common.

Besides what is the use of Tacho on a small car like Spark ?

@nimz, @adya33, the spark does not have temperature guage? That is shocking - how do you know if the engine is cooling properly?

I certainly do miss the following on most cars:-
1. tacho.
2. Oil pressure indicator - the one which shows the pressure in kg/cm2, not mere a light which glows when the pressure is low.
3. Amp meter - not just a light which glows when the battery is not being charged / charge is low.

A tacho is a great advantage for newbie drivers as a guide for shifting gears and for experienced ones as a measure of controlling FE.