Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 19:18   #1
BHPian

Gear slipping to neutral? - Wagon R

My 1.5-year old WagonR seems to be having a recurrent problem now. When I am on bad roads and going at maybe 50 or so, when there is a lot of jerking/jolts, the gear seems to come to Neutral (happened from Gear 3 as well as Gear 4).

It happened twice before in the past (in 1 year), but both times I was not sure if the gear had engaged properly in first place. However, it happened twice today so there is a problem.

What could be wrong? Please help.

Car is under extended warranty.

EDIT: Just came across this Slipping Gears - Suzuki Forums: Suzuki Forum Site

Last edited by johy : 17th January 2008 at 19:22.
Old 17th January 2008, 19:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry, WagonR is infamous for the "superb" gearbox Maruti has given it. I recently saw a notice at the service center calling for WagonR's with a specific chassis numbers to have their clutch rectified. WagonR's have had several rounds of this activity.

Just rush to your dealer service center as your car is under warranty. Its the only thing to do now.
Old 17th January 2008, 19:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

The famous Wiggle Test

Wiggle the shift stick from side to side and try to push it a little past where it would normally go and see if the whole assembly clunks, e.g. is loose. Then try the same thing up and down, front to back. Maybe it is loose and/or maybe you have a linkage problem.
Old 17th January 2008, 23:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

get the shift lever bushes changed (it comes as a kit) this should sort the issue
Old 18th January 2008, 07:16   #5
BHPian

@DirtyDan - Tried the "Wiggle test," and did not come up with any clunks, so I think that is not the problem.

Yes, maybe it is the gear bushes problems. The car is still under warranty (standard 2-year warranty + 1-year extended warranty), so I think things should be covered well.

Also, I heard of some batches of WRs with defective gear boxes. Anyway one can find out the same?
Old 18th January 2008, 08:50   #6
BANNED

Hi,

Tell the A.S.S. to get your synchronizer rings checked. Most likely they will be the culprit.

Viper
Old 18th January 2008, 09:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Tell the A.S.S. to get your synchronizer rings checked. Most likely they will be the culprit.

Viper
Thanks viper. I am a newbie when it comes to tech matters, but I did talk to an experienced mechanic (outside garage) - and he said the same thing.

Will get it checked today itself.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:13   #8
BHPian

Johy,

Even I face the same issue and i have mentioned the same in some WagonR thread in the forum. I think this issue is there with most of the pre facelift models. It happend to me 4 times in 1.5 years i guess.But happends only if i hit a pot hole or bad patch at good speed. I have read some where that this issue exists with Santro as well.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:31   #9
BHPian

I dont know what exacly is the culprit here, but i've driven two wagonRs on long distances,and both had this problem. Rest assured yours is not a one-off.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Johy,

Even I face the same issue and i have mentioned the same in some WagonR thread in the forum. I think this issue is there with most of the pre facelift models. It happend to me 4 times in 1.5 years i guess.But happends only if i hit a pot hole or bad patch at good speed. I have read some where that this issue exists with Santro as well.

mmm..yes BMW-X5, I have to do a lot of bad roads and often going downhill; it could prove fatal to lose engine braking if the gear is going to slip to neutral... hoping for the best.

Also, did you contact the service station guys about it...what was their take on it?
Old 18th January 2008, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I see it as a good indicator that you have driven too fast over them, slow down or you will damage the suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Johy,

Old 18th January 2008, 11:15   #12
Team-BHP Support

I had problems with slotting 2nd gear in my WagonR. It used to come to neutral too. Turned out to be a damaged linkage, which came off on a trip (I ignored gearbox problem as WagonR generally has that reputation) leaving me no-where inside a wildlife park.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...est-night.html

Please get your car attended by professionals. My gearbox has been almost perfect since that incident, and is not too notchy either (except for occasional tightness).
Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
When I am on bad roads and going at maybe 50 or so, when there is a lot of jerking/jolts, the gear seems to come to Neutral (happened from Gear 3 as well as Gear 4).
Bad roads at 50? WagonR is not an SUV by any means.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th January 2008 at 11:26.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I had problems with slotting 2nd gear in my WagonR. It used to come to neutral too. Turned out to be a damaged linkage, which came off on a trip (I ignored gearbox problem as WagonR generally has that reputation) leaving me no-where inside a wildlife park.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...est-night.html

Please get your car attended by professionals. My gearbox has been almost perfect since that incident, and is not too notchy either (except for occasional tightness).

Bad roads at 50? WagonR is not an SUV by any means.
Thanks Cd,

50 was yesterday when I was in a particularly bad mood - but it was only a very tiny stretch of bad road, very tiny - but it has happened at speeds of 10 and 20 as well.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
When I am on bad roads and going at maybe 50 or so,
Bad roads at 50 kmph. You will kill the car.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Bad roads at 50 kmph. You will kill the car.
I am not killing the car or myself. Let me rephrase, "I hit a pothole doing around 50" - better?

Really, the point is not that I was doing 50 when I hit a pothole, but the fact that the gear slipped to neutral. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks