Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 21:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do you switch engine off soon after reaching destination?

Hey dudes,
This question may sound silly, but I read in the Fiesta manual that we need to let the engine idle for about 30 seconds before switching off the ignition. I've been following this to the extent possible, but I did not find this in any Maruti manual.
Perhaps it applies only to diesel Fiestas, and I could be confused as the manual is common to both diesel and petrol Fiestas.
Any ideas?
Old 17th January 2008, 21:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

This has already been discussed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...dure-cars.html
Old 18th January 2008, 02:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey dudes,
This question may sound silly, but I read in the Fiesta manual that we need to let the engine idle for about 30 seconds before switching off the ignition. I've been following this to the extent possible, but I did not find this in any Maruti manual.
Perhaps it applies only to diesel Fiestas, and I could be confused as the manual is common to both diesel and petrol Fiestas.
Any ideas?
This is only for Diesel fiesta and not petrol. The reason being that it has a turbo, and the turbo takes time to come to a hault,so if you turn off the ignition,the turbo does not gets the lubrication it needs making it a problem in long terms.
Old 18th January 2008, 11:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
This is only for Diesel fiesta and not petrol. The reason being that it has a turbo, and the turbo takes time to come to a hault,so if you turn off the ignition,the turbo does not gets the lubrication it needs making it a problem in long terms.
Thanks a ton , nitinralli.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:08   #5
BHPian

Please follow this advice religiously, if you want a long life from your Turbo. My chevy's turbo died & one of the reasons was not idlying the car enough.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

I always idle for a minute before switching off. And, also after starting the engine.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

When i parked in the parking lot of a restaurant, a cabbie on an Indica who was quite helpful while i was reversing the car into a slot told me that i shouldnt switch off the engine immediately as i had just done.
I informed him that mine was a petrol car, and so that shouldnt really matter. He still stuck by what he said, saying its good for the engine.

This being the first time i met a cabbie who seemed like a good person, i didnt want to take away from him his sincerity. I thanked him for the advice, flashed a smile and said i shall do accordingly the next time onwards. IMO, its not required, and thats how i still feel about it.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This being the first time i met a cabbie who seemed like a good person, i didnt want to take away from him his sincerity.
O/T but lot of decent cabbies in KL/TN. Specially the older guys who invested in their own cars, show a lot of pride
Old 18th January 2008, 13:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

OT : souljah, i agree. But those cabbies are different from the ones who drive around cabs belonging to transport companies.
Old 18th January 2008, 13:30   #10
BHPian

Well.. in a petrol car you dont really need to idle before turning off but if the temp needle is showing halfway or if the radiator fan comes on, wait for the temp needle to come down and the radiator fan go off..this will reduce the engine heat since the engine wont be getting any cool air to cooldown when parked. Also this will prolong life of lubricants. I follow this religiously every day while parking any where...
Old 18th January 2008, 13:40   #11
BHPian

There's always a sticker on the dashboard on the right side of the steering in Tata Safari advising to idle for 1-2 mins while starting and switching off.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:33   #12
Team-BHP Support

IMO the engine should be allowed to catch a breath after a continuous travel of more than 100 Kms. for short distance travels it is not required that much to let the engine idle for more than a few seconds. I follow this procedure for my petrol car but am not sure if it right or not. But I had read an article that the engine should be let to idle for a few seconds after a high speed dash or long distance travel.
Old 18th January 2008, 15:20   #13
BHPian

Clarification required

Does this mean that switching off a car with a turbo charged engine while waiting at a traffic signal would harm the engine in the long run?
Old 18th January 2008, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Since too much short trip may corrode the exhaust prematurely, it is always better to reach the temp gauge halfway mark once you switched on the engine (usually this is attained in less than 10 minutes).

After a long journey, you can simply switch of the engine without wasting any more fuel

Not sure about the procedure in Diesel engines though.

But one thing for sure, if there is any such procedure required, it must be mentioned in owner's manual.
Old 18th January 2008, 15:29   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thanks rr_zen. Please continue your dicussion here.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks