Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 12:37   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thats fabulous. Do you guys too have the smoking issue? If yes, have you done anything about it?
what smoking issue you talking about? my car smokes more when i put in fuel with additives but otherwise its just the normal smoke that diesels give out when theyre being revved.
Old 4th March 2010, 16:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Well then, if you read the reply to that post, you'd also see that the problem with your car was unique, and that size of tyres could easily be used without any fouling. The problem was specific to your car alone.
My friend, that's exactly my point. Now what if its a tolerance issue in the common rail or the fuel pump or lines, instead of the tire stuff in my car? And i put in a tuning box? That's exactly manufacturers play it safe!
Old 4th March 2010, 18:59   #63
BHPian

this is what I can't make any of you understand -
1. the engines are de-rated. Manufacturers need this upper hand.
2. the components have very high failure limits
3. putting in just a tuning box does not make the engine, the components, the car structure or any related part to the drive including the ORVMS, Bumpers, Number plates, headlamps (should someone now bring these up as issues for GAKW) subject to failure conditions - momentarily or sustained.

The only way I agree to concede is when you have an old engine and are trying to tune it up without concentrating on any other parts that might need attention, in which case it might fail without modifications anyway.

Last edited by Otto : 4th March 2010 at 19:02.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:12   #64
BHPian

Is 'Pete'fication Worth It?

Although I am a new member in team-bhp, I have been browsing through the pages for quite some time now. While going through the pages I have found a large number of BHPians appreciating the work done by Peter Chacko, the owner of pete's. Since my father had bought a swift VDi about 1 and a half years back, I kept a look out for reviews of pete's tuning boxes for the DDiS. Almost all review rated them as a very effective way to make a good car even better! I even remember that a member had commented by saying that one can easily shave off atleast a couple of seconds, if not three using such bolt on ECUs.

Now I was going through an auto mag resently where it had interviewed Peter Chacko and reviewed 10 of his cars, one of which was a swift DDiS. It is a light blue coloured car with black alloys and if I am not mistaken, it belongs to a fellow BHPian. According to the auto mag, it has a performance remap, a hybrid turbo, and a supersprint exhaust. the cat con has also been removed and it produces about a 110BHP.It also as Bilsten B14 suspensions and although not mentioned tyres seem to 195-60-R15 tyres, probably S-Drives.

Now what surprised we were the performance figures!
parameters stock modded
0-100kmph 14.18s 13.12s
0-400m 19.39s 18.89s
100-0braking 57.23m 56.3m
40-100[3rd gr] 10.96s 10.79s

Cost of upgrades is Rs.2,74,950. things to be noted.
1. 0-100 improvement is only a second even after such elaborate modifications.
2. 0-400m improvement of 1 sec is alright I guess but not huge.
3. the tyres are atleast 30mm wider and braking distance reduces only a metre.
4. Negligible improvement in IN GEAR ACCELARATION from 40-100 in 3rd.

Why are the improvement this small or are the improvements as per expectation? Is 2.75 lakhs worth the improvement. Is getting the car PETEFIED worth it?

The improvements in the others cars are somewhat similar. I will update on those figures is sometime.
Old 30th March 2010, 22:54   #65
BHPian

Albert Einstein once said "Sit next to a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. Sit on a red-hot stove for a minute, it seems like an hour. That's relativity." He also said "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

So my answer to you is to decide for yourself. If the extra second matters to you and you could really use that extra power consistently, then go ahead by all means. Alternatively, you could put that extra money into a Verna and reach 100 KPH in 11 Seconds!
Old 30th March 2010, 23:37   #66
BHPian

Interesting question there and a very pertinent one too i.e. if I take the figures quoted as facts, the very way you have stated them. Hoping a more qualified authority double checks on this and passes a judgement !

Last edited by Dippy : 31st March 2010 at 09:55. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread
Old 30th March 2010, 23:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Check out the review Rtech of his Skoda Octavia, from 88 bhp,202 Nm of Torque to 108 bhp and 240Nm and shaved the 0 to 100 thingy from 13.33 to 10.75 with just the first setting.

So imagine all these changes and the 0 to 100 of only 1 second less does not make sense. I seriously doubt something is wrong with the information.

Last edited by Dippy : 31st March 2010 at 09:55. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post when replying to a thread
Old 31st March 2010, 00:38   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

@Scuderiamania- I read the same review long back. From what i remember this car had worn out clutch and the testing conditions were Damp, this adds a couple of seconds more.

Almost all the buyers of tuning box have reported a noticeable increase in performance but a lot of people have also reported premature clutch wear and turbo failures.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:41   #69
BHPian

Either the car is not making 110 hp or it gained some serious weight along the way. In this case, Petefication does not sound like it's worth it. It will be interesting to know how much of those 2.75 Lakhs went into acceleration enhancing modifications.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:41   #70
Ice
BHPian

I have a Pete-d Palio multijet, and it's done 35,000 of its 40,000 km. with it. I spent RS.28,000 for the box, and have not purchased any other add-ons. The 0-100 time has definitely improved, but I am happier because of the increase in driveability. The car surges on the highway with just a tap of the accelerator, and cruising in 5th is a joy. If you're going for this, test drive your car with the box for a day (I know the dealer in Madras offers this). But buy the box (or any other performance add-on) for the benefit that it offers to your style of driving . Don't allow the juiced up torque and bhp numbers to seduce you
Old 31st March 2010, 00:53   #71
BANNED

Hi scuderiamania,

Those Performance figures are got to be a misprint. The Real Figures have got be much Better than that. I can say this for sure because a few months ago, I personally went down to Cochin to meet Peter Chako to discuss similar Upgrades for my Swift Vdi.

He was very Couteous & Professional in answering all my questions and inquiries and also arranged for a Test Drive of the Very same Swift you saw in the Auto Mag.

And i can tell you man.. That Car is Fast..!! Way Way faster than a Stock Swift or even a Swift with the just the Pete's Box.

I ve not been been able to get my Car done as yet as i'm in between shifting cities as i'm relocating from Mumbai to Delhi but i'm very keen on getting these Upgrades soon.

Cheers.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Same here. Get those numbers checked again

Else, the only reason I regret not owning a diesel car is not having the ability to strap on a petes box. Just for a one second gain, i dont think anyone would be that interested in spending so much moolah. I can probably time my gear shifts better and crank up the one second on the stock car itself
Old 31st March 2010, 02:20   #73
Team-BHP Support

+1 check those numbers again. i shaved off about 3.5 seconds or more in my innova in the 0-100.
Old 31st March 2010, 04:20   #74
Senior - BHPian

First off, like many said, the number looks skewed - something's gotta be wrong. I remember seeing a thread where someone timed their car using an iPhone's dyno - that should give a better real-life idea.

Now for answering if Pete's is worth it or not - any performance improving mod is definitely worth it if your sole criteria is enjoying performance with acceptable reliability.

But if you plan to own the car for 5 or 7 years or more, then if I were you, I would keep the car in stock form - primarily because I would want to reduce the chances of an unexpected failure arising out of the greater stress the car would undergo when performance is boosted up.
Old 31st March 2010, 07:15   #75
BHPian

My Friend has a desiel version of swift with a Green filter and a pete box.. FE went up by several kilometers and the power is super good now. I really don't know if it is the pete box or the green filter doing this magic.

Most Viewed