Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 08:16   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Albert Einstein once said "Sit next to a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. Sit on a red-hot stove for a minute, it seems like an hour. That's relativity." He also said "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
Thats a nice perspective!

Unless you are into racing, it wouldn't be wise to invest in a PETE's Box, for its effect on 0-100 figures. But owners report huge improvement in every day drivability, and that by itself justifies using it.

That said, shaving off one second in 0-100 timings isn't the most simple/thrifty thing to do,(I am sure most BHPians would vouch for that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
Alternatively, you could put that extra money into a Verna and reach 100 KPH in 11 Seconds!
There are people who have their new cars modded to the neck and barely a year later they tell you they have upgraded to another car.
Old 31st March 2010, 08:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I have a Pete-d Palio multijet, and it's done 35,000 of its 40,000 km. with it. I spent RS.28,000 for the box, and have not purchased any other add-ons. The 0-100 time has definitely improved, but I am happier because of the increase in driveability. The car surges on the highway with just a tap of the accelerator, and cruising in 5th is a joy. If you're going for this, test drive your car with the box for a day (I know the dealer in Madras offers this). But buy the box (or any other performance add-on) for the benefit that it offers to your style of driving . Don't allow the juiced up torque and bhp numbers to seduce you
Please let me PM the Chennai Dealer's contact.
I am very much interested in Pete's.
I need to test it in my car before buying it.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 31st March 2010, 10:19   #78
BHPian

I added the Pete's box to my Innova and it has made a world of difference to the drivability of the car. Engine does not seem as labored as before and that itself is relaxing for the driver. Overtaking is certainly more predictable even in the city

It does require regular clean up of the GC air filter but apart from that it works silently and unseen
sbhasin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2010, 10:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Check out the review Rtech of his Skoda Octavia, from 88 bhp,202 Nm of Torque to 108 bhp and 240Nm and shaved the 0 to 100 thingy from 13.33 to 10.75 with just the first setting.

So imagine all these changes and the 0 to 100 of only 1 second less does not make sense. I seriously doubt something is wrong with the information.
Of the 10 cars they reviewed, there were two octis- 1 1.8 turbocharged version and another TDi. they also reviewed two lauras. 1 with around a 180ps and another, peter's own car as they claim, with 220ps. they shaving of 0-100 times in the diesel octis were about 3 secs. So thats pretty impressive. 1.8l turbocharged version produces around 300ps. Thats exactly double the power and even in that car the increase is about 1.5 sec. But then again reducing 0-100timings in a car that already does it in 9 secs should be very difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
+1 check those numbers again. i shaved off about 3.5 seconds or more in my innova in the 0-100.
Yes they had an Innova too. According to them the 0-100 figure improved by about 2 secs. they also tested a punto in which the improvement was of about 3 secs.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

I have a slightly OT question as far as Pete's is concerned. But still i thought i will post it here instead of starting another thread, because it can be a part of the whole Petes worthiness debate if we expand the scope to include reliability as well.
So here goes...
Would you buy a second hand vehicle that has been running on Pete's box?
Alternatively, what effect does having a Pete's box have on the resale value?
Old 31st March 2010, 10:56   #81
BHPian

I have chipped all three of my oil-burners (Innova, Superb 2.0PD, Q7) and going forward also won't hesitate to chip as soon as run-in is complete. Primary reasons are the driveability and the driving pleasure.

This is to utilize as much potential as possible from the engine without requiring any extensive mods or changes. Adding a chip is hardly 10 mins job and can be easily managed DIY. The major difference shows up in how you overtake on highways and how quickly you get to your cruising speeds. These are very important if you do regular highway runs. Just three seconds saved over a kilometer can save you half an hour (and the associated fatigue) over a 550 kms run.

In my experience, the biggest difference in the "feel" after chipping has been with Innova that feels so much better/crisp esp with 3rd gear. Of course with others you do feel the increased thrust esp with kickdowns and the quickness with which you get to the cruising speeds. All in all I would recommend chip tuning if you are running an oil burner. Just a note on FE - Don't expect it to improve - very likely it would decrease as more power always tempts you more.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing this is ripper's car? The numbers are what they are and they have been confirmed by ripper in another forum. He also mentioned that the car was in a bad condition with a nearly worn out clutch and that the mag made only one run before the road had to be opened up for public again. I am sure this car is much faster than what the numbers indicate. The driving pleasure is hugely increased according to the owner. Numbers don't mean too much. If you love the way the car 'feels' after a mod, that should be enough for most people.

Last edited by Gilead : 31st March 2010 at 11:09.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:38   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Of the 10 cars they reviewed, there were two octis- 1 1.8 turbocharged version and another TDi. they also reviewed two lauras. 1 with around a 180ps and another, peter's own car as they claim, with 220ps. they shaving of 0-100 times in the diesel octis were about 3 secs. So thats pretty impressive. 1.8l turbocharged version produces around 300ps. Thats exactly double the power and even in that car the increase is about 1.5 sec. But then again reducing 0-100timings in a car that already does it in 9 secs should be very difficult.
for those octis with a high power output i wouldnt really bother about the time taken off the 0-100 too much. traction would be a problem. see the difference it makes after 100kmph.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Thats a nice perspective!

Unless you are into racing, it wouldn't be wise to invest in a PETE's Box, for its effect on 0-100 figures. But owners report huge improvement in every day drivability, and that by itself justifies using it.

That said, shaving off one second in 0-100 timings isn't the most simple/thrifty thing to do,(I am sure most BHPians would vouch for that).

There are people who have their new cars modded to the neck and barely a year later they tell you they have upgraded to another car.
Read entropy's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have a slightly OT question as far as Pete's is concerned. But still i thought i will post it here instead of starting another thread, because it can be a part of the whole Petes worthiness debate if we expand the scope to include reliability as well.
So here goes...
Alternatively, what effect does having a Pete's box have on the resale value?
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I have chipped all three of my oil-burners (Innova, Superb 2.0PD, Q7) and going forward also won't hesitate to chip as soon as run-in is complete. Primary reasons are the driveability and the driving pleasure.

This is to utilize as much potential as possible from the engine without requiring any extensive mods or changes. Adding a chip is hardly 10 mins job and can be easily managed DIY. The major difference shows up in how you overtake on highways and how quickly you get to your cruising speeds. These are very important if you do regular highway runs. Just three seconds saved over a kilometer can save you half an hour (and the associated fatigue) over a 550 kms run.

In my experience, the biggest difference in the "feel" after chipping has been with Innova that feels so much better/crisp esp with 3rd gear. Of course with others you do feel the increased thrust esp with kickdowns and the quickness with which you get to the cruising speeds. All in all I would recommend chip tuning if you are running an oil burner. Just a note on FE - Don't expect it to improve - very likely it would decrease as more power always tempts you more.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I am guessing this is ripper's car? The numbers are what they are and they have been confirmed by ripper in another forum. He also mentioned that the car was in a bad condition with a nearly worn out clutch and that the mag made only one run before the road had to be opened up for public again. I am sure this car is much faster than what the numbers indicate. The driving pleasure is hugely increased according to the owner. Numbers don't mean too much. If you love the way the car 'feels' after a mod, that should be enough for most people.
I have been in this car,was driven around by ripper. Its fast, you get the 'kick'. It takes to to 100 plus very swiftly and without any drama ( very linear, very).

Sad that the clutch doesn't last long though, not sure if its coz of how its handled.

Got moolah, have time, want fun then get your car a full job as was mentioned in the first post. Such cars wont do good on a bumper to bumper traffic coz of heating up reason ( you need to have bigger intercoolers and stock one's are tiny for the current setup).

If you just meant of getting in a Pete's box, well, test drive with one. Most cars which are sold here are detuned and hence Pete's box helps . Also, Pete's box was tested on most European cars and hence safe to use.

Hope Peter can enlighten us more.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:00   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
I have a Pete-d Palio multijet, and it's done 35,000 of its 40,000 km. with it. I spent RS.28,000 for the box, and have not purchased any other add-ons. The 0-100 time has definitely improved, but I am happier because of the increase in driveability. The car surges on the highway with just a tap of the accelerator, and cruising in 5th is a joy. If you're going for this, test drive your car with the box for a day (I know the dealer in Madras offers this). But buy the box (or any other performance add-on) for the benefit that it offers to your style of driving . Don't allow the juiced up torque and bhp numbers to seduce you
I couldnt agree with you more. The numbers can be used just as a guidance. What matters is how it suits you.

With such a lot of mods on the Swift, I seriously feel something is wrong. Either the car is not able to handle all that power (due to worn out parts) or the test conditions were not optimal to extract maximum performance. The dude wouldnt have spent Rs 3 lakhs for gaining just a second!
Old 31st March 2010, 12:01   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
+1 check those numbers again. i shaved off about 3.5 seconds or more in my innova in the 0-100.
Even I think the figures have wrongly been printed but Gilead is confirming the figures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Yes, if I remember correctly, the username was RIPPER. I remember reading that he initially had turbo problems but rectified them later. Not sure if this very car has been reviewed. I forgot to mention one thing before. The reviewer had mentioned that the clutch was the cars Achilles' heels and needed attention!
Old 31st March 2010, 12:11   #87
BHPian

it matters where you shave seconds from!

well, I think, if you shave a second from sub 20 second car, agree, thats not going to amount much !
but if you are scooping that out from a already 10 second car ~ then sure you are doing something ! and that will cost you something !

1/10 =10% decrease in times ! (thats something, isnt it bro?)

care.

Ace.
Old 31st March 2010, 18:19   #88
BHPian

@ driverace- I agree to your point but when considering the swift power increases from 75 to 110ps that is a increase of 35ps, which roughly equates to someething between 45-50%. But the 0-100 increases only by 1 second from 14.xxsec to 13.xx secs. that is about 7% I guess. I know it would insane to expect to high a reduction but isn't the decrease a lil' to small?

Is there any way of knowing where and when a topic created by me is being moved. I could not find the topic and had to do quite a bit of searching.

Last edited by scuderiamania : 31st March 2010 at 18:22. Reason: note to administrators.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:00   #89
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
NO.

Because:

1. The Petes / any other diesel tuning box increases the stress levels on the fuel pump (and possibly other engine + drivetrain components). I wouldn't mind a tuning box on MY brand new diesel, but I sure as hell wouldn't buy a used common-rail diesel with Petes.

2. It tells me that the owner has had his share of high-revving. Redlining a diesel is second (after prolonged oil changes) on the list of "The worst thing you can do to your diesel engine".

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2010 at 12:02.
Old 4th April 2010, 12:07   #90
BHPian

there are levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
@ driverace- I agree to your point but when considering the swift power increases from 75 to 110ps that is a increase of 35ps, which roughly equates to someething between 45-50%. But the 0-100 increases only by 1 second from 14.xxsec to 13.xx secs. that is about 7% I guess. I know it would insane to expect to high a reduction but isn't the decrease a lil' to small?

Is there any way of knowing where and when a topic created by me is being moved. I could not find the topic and had to do quite a bit of searching.
Hmmm,
Power increase mention has to go along with the other aspects!
e.g. you can put in a tallest gear, and technically make it possible to get 300 kmph on any car! but then again, if we are gonna take like a few days to get to that speed, thats not what we want.
0-100 ~ 14.xx->13.xx, that also depends on the kind of tune the car gets.
If we read up more, we can find that, there are some 4 settings possible, and levels of tune-up too!
As in
1. Power +1 FE +0.5
2. Power +2 FE ==
3. Power +3 FE -1
4. Power -1 FE +1

(the figures are just approx ratios for understanding only)

So, we need to see the setting the car is run on,
and last but not the least the driver and driving style matters too!

you can read up more on Petes info thread.

Care.

Ace.

////
OT Answer:

How to find moved topic:
1. Check you PMs
2. Check where you posted it! you will get link for it from there too! (thats, soon after its moved.)
3. Read "instructions!" Announcements - Team-BHP

////

Last edited by driverace : 4th April 2010 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks